I'm not glum anymore!

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!

I'm not glum anymore!

Postby Niagara » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:53 pm

I got invited out to my sons girlfriends 18th birthday party.

I was nervous - it's the first time I've done anything like this since getting sober. Honestly, beforehand I was agitated, concerned, escape plan at the ready!

Instead, I've spent a wonderful evening, meeting lots of new people and had a better time than I ever had drunk, despite the amount of booze that was flowing.
There were a couple of moments but I just excused myself for a few minutes to get myself back in order, then rejoined the party.

It was a privilege to even be invited, to meet my sons girlfriend of two years (except in passing) and all of her family. Needless to say I wouldn't have gotten an invite months ago so I'm just so happy that he's got faith in me and seemed really happy that I was there.

Amazing night, amazing programme :mrgreen:
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Re: I'm not glum anymore!

Postby Tosh » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:19 am

Spending the evening - with what I would imagine to be a high percentage of teenagers - isn't easy in any spiritual condition! :lol:

Well done, Niagra.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:47 am

I was nervous - it's the first time I've done anything like this since getting sober. Honestly, beforehand I was agitated, concerned, escape plan at the ready!

I have sober a little over 5 years and I had my first house party where I invited AA's and family... my family has a couple drinkers in it and it was a risk I suppose. But seriously, I was so worried about whether my garage was clean enough & that the tables didn't match and neither did the table covers - or that it got too loud in their... then whether the kids where ok with sparklers and with marshmallows falling in the grass... EGO all the way right? HA!

Things turned out good and the drunk stayed only tipsy as are as I could tell. One who may have had a bit too much was whisked away pretty early - maybe to go where they could all drink at will. The AA's stayed later and we sat around the fire (that I thought was too small) and chatted.

No one died and no one complained. I guess it went well. No - I know it went well. :)
I am glad you made it a good evening too. Congrats on getting the pieces of your social life together!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:57 pm

I used to be the noisy drunk - thinking I had to keep everyone entertained; when in reality I was just a pain. Now it's just nice to sit back 'n' relax and let everyone get on with what-ever they're doing. Unless of course you're hosting, like Paige was. But I quite like being quiet and boring sometimes. Mrs Tosh says she can relax at these occasions better too, since she's not on tender-hooks any more, worrying about what I'm going to say or do next. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:34 am

I wasn't really a noisy drunk, except on occasion. I was the 'think know everything agony aunt, end up in tears by the end of the night drunk'. It makes me cringe sooo much to remember what I was like, even though much of it is just snippets.
One thing that I did find a bit tough, but I'm quite shy as a person anyway....always have been, although that's really improved a lot since I got a programme - talking to people. After a few drinks it was easy. Couldn't shut me up :oops: I'm not quite so, um, charming?? (I use that term loosely) without it. Thankfully, other people seem quite happy to do most of the talking and I heard some amusing and interesting tales :)
Best of all, I met her family without embarrassing myself in any way, shape or form - so I'll have nothing to cringe about next time I see them, and we have been invited round again in the near future, and also perhaps to meet up in the local pub as they go there now and then for a meal.

Paige - brave. I'm not at the point I could host a party yet. Still far too much of the 'want to run the show' in me to cope with all the details of that without ending up a gibbering wreck :lol:
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:54 am

Congratulations Niagara. Sounds like you're learning to live in peace sober. That was always my problem. I was actually a pretty good host drunk, but I couldn't do it sober. Now I can. Miracles happen.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Duke wrote: I was actually a pretty good host drunk,

I bet what that really boiled down to was that you kept everyone's glass full, yours included!

We know the score! :lol:
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Tosh wrote:

I bet what that really boiled down to was that you kept everyone's glass full, yours included!

:lol: Truth be told, I don't ready know how good or bad a host I was, all I know is I felt really good doing it drunk and really bad trying to do it sober until I learned how to live sober in this program.

Good catch Tosh.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Return to But We Aren't a Glum Lot ...