Cycling

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!

Re: Cycling

Postby CGPoolman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Tosh,

My next challenge is an event called "RunYak" next month. It's a 5k run split in half, with a 2 mile kayak in the middle. Other than that I'll do a few local 5k races. I had some health issues most of this year so I wasn't able to do any real training up until a few weeks ago so I'm starting small. In 2015 I'm going to take on a mini-triathlon and see how that goes. I would also like to do the Tough Mudder. Only downside to Tough Mudder is the cost involved. Entry fee alone is over 100 dollars, plus I would need a hotel for the night before. Then, if I bring anyone as a spectator they have to buy a ticket for around 50 dollars. As much as I would like to say I did the Mudder, I'm not sure it is worth all that $$.

-CG
CGPoolman
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:19 pm

The run-kayak-run thing sounds great fun; I'd be up for that; though 2 miles of kayaking is tough going. We have Tough Mudders over here too; from what I know there's obstacles, they electrocute you and get you run through fire 'n' stuff. And you're right about the cost of it too! They're not my cup of tea; I just like running.

Inspired by Born to Run (great book if you've not read it), I fancy an ultra marathon, but Mrs Tosh can't do more than 14 miles or her knee starts playing up, but it's getting better, so we'll see. There's a 40 miler ran not far from me in next Spring, so I might start training for it and Mrs Tosh would easily be able to catch up with me later in the year.

And did you know cycling is good training for running, but running isn't good training for cycling?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Peter.H. » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:50 pm

My body cannot handle impact sports like long distance running. And getting too old now (60).
I love riding my bike, it's quicker, covers more ground, and one of the few sports that allows you to sit down to do it. :lol:

My current goal is to keep riding, change my diet, and to lose some extra weight I put on.
The days seem to go quicker and shorter for me. I love to do art, but have hardly done any since my teens.

To go to work and train for a major event only leaves you time to eat and sleep. That is it! To work 35 hrs and ride 400-500 km per week leaves no room for anything else.
I have done that sort of thing for a few years, and reached my goal of competing with the best in my age group.

Cycling now is just for fun without having to be competitive. However, ever cycling group I know has a finish line at the end of a social ride. It could be a town speed limit sign, or a telegraph pole, etc. Sometimes those who did not come in first to the speed sign will designate the next telegraph pole as the finish line. It's all in fun. So on those occasions I do get involved, but I try to do it differently these days. Generally, the idea is to maneuver into being leadout (in someone else's slipstream) to the final 200 m, then pass the leadout rider for an all out sprint finish. I can out-sprint my friends. So these days I am happy to be the leadout person and let others do the sprint and finish first. Sometimes, without knowing, I lead them out too fast or too long and burn them too much for them to pass me at the end. Or they do not pass me out of respect for my long lead-out, or for doing most of the work up front into the wind.
This is a sport where we cyclists work as a team, and the camaraderie is strong. There is a strange paradox. We always try to hurt the other as much as possible and at the end we laugh and pat each other on the back for it. From our struggle we bond and form close friendships.
Yes, I still love riding and most probably will as long as I can ride.

Talking about expense. Besides my travel and accommodation expenses to and from Austria, my international (2 week minimum) license to ride in the event cost me $500. I questioned to steep price. The answer, insurance. In my case it paid off and more so. My helicopter flight, hospitalization, physical and mental (slight brain damage) rehabilitation, and other costs were paid for by the insurance.

Now my main goal is to do what I loved when I was younger - art.
My new challenge is to get into art and to enjoy it while I can.
"...unless this person can experience an entire psyche change there is very little hope of his recovery" - Dr. Silkworth. [Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Ed, p xxix.]
Peter.H.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Mrs Tosh 'n' myself ran the Severn Bridge Half marathon on Sunday. I've been focussing on work in recent months, not running, and it showed in my time. Mrs Tosh got 1hr 37 minutes and it was a hilly course. We're booked to run the Cardiff Half Marathon (a bigger city race) on 5th October and she's hoping to get a sub 1hr 30 min (which is fast) half marathon time. I'll be pleased with a sub 1hr 50 min time. :?

Being running fit is a bit like my spirituality; I'm either growing or declining; there seems to be no maintaining! :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby CGPoolman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Tosh,

WOW 1:37 is a smokin fast time! She could get a speeding ticket running that fast! Same for finishing under 1:50, that is a pretty solid pace for a half! Congrats to you both! My best (and only) half marathon time was 1:57, my pace was just under 9 minutes per mile.

All the talk here of cycling got me wanting to do more on 2 wheels. I recently took my old bicycle to the scrapyard and invested in a fitness cycle. I got the Cannondale Quick6 and I LOVE it! I never knew there was such a difference in bicycles until I actually tried something from a real bike shop. I've always bought bicycles off the rack at the local Wal-Mart or similar store. Being sized and fit for a bicycle was a totally different experience! Everything about it - the comfort, the shifting, the speed. Had I known I would have loved it so much I would have done this a lot sooner. I've had it out for a few 20-mile rides, I plan on taking it to a paved trail this weekend and cracking 25 miles.

I did my first duathlon last weekend - It was a 2.5K run, a 2 mile kayak around a lake, and then another 2.5K run. Finished in 49:23. Wasn't fast enough to make the top 3 overall men but I'm pretty happy with it. I ran the 5K in under 25 minutes, that's pretty darn fast for me! I'm thinking next year I'll be ready for a mini-triathlon.

-CG
CGPoolman
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:14 am

So how's everyone's running/cycling going?

Mrs Tosh (aged 42) took a guy I sponsor (aged 28) and myself (aged 44) out last night for a hill session that she runs with her running club. It involved running three-miles to this 'special hill' which begins short and steep, flattens out for about 200 meters and then inclines upwards again for about 400 meters. We were to run the short steep bit hard, recover by running slowly on the middle flat bit and then run hard uphill along the 400 meter incline. Then we'd turn around and do it all again (six times in total).

She left my sponsee and myself in a sweaty-jelly gasping-for-breath mess, before leaving us to run home (we'd be too slow for her). On the return journey, my sponsee confided in me, "I can see why you're an alcoholic, Tosh, living with her. She's mental!"

I had to agree with him.

So how's your fitness going?
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:03 am

Well, I just quit smoking. Day 3.......I'm doing strangely ok. I wouldn't say I'm at the running stage yet, but I hope to be. Right now, I just invested in some better running shoes and powerwalking the dog is as far as I've got, but I guess you don't drink/smoke/not leave the house/sofa for years then suddenly pick up as if you were a 20 something fitness fanatic :lol:

I'm much better than I was 3 months ago though!
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:03 am

I stopped smoking about three years ago (apart from the odd cheeky smoke) and I had the heart and lungs of a 90 year old. I roughly followed the Couch (potato) to 5k running program (google) and struggled with it. I remember my first run; three 1 minute jogs, with 90 seconds of walking in-between; they nearly killed me. But I followed the program - a day at a time - and did my first 5k. Then I did a 10k. Then a couple of half marathons. Then a full marathon (off road, two miles longer than a 26.2 too).

Next year Mrs Tosh and I are doing a 42 mile ultra marathon, the first half of which is through the Brecon Beacons (mountainous terrain). The distance is done all in one go. She's a lot better at running than I am, but her navigation skills are terrible, so she's relying on me to navigate the ultra marathon. She really doesn't want to get lost in the mountains. And training together for the event is a journey in itself. Every weekend we do our long runs together; we talk about routes, food, niggles, injuries, equipment, food - actually we talk a lot about food. It's nice to do something like this as a couple; though we do fight sometimes. Normally when I get us lost somewhere, and it's getting late, and she's tired. Often I'd like to strangle her.

And well done on kicking smoking (I'm still addicted to nicotine mind you); but if you're interested in running, I recommend the Couch to 5k training program. If you can walk one mile non-stop, you're ready for the program. I can't stick a link up, but I'm sure you can google it.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 am

Thanks for the info Tosh, I will certainly google it. I reckon I can just about manage a mile. I'm so sad about the level of my fitness though.....I used to be uber fit (pre drinking age). Trained every day, competitive martial artist........to competitive couch potato. Pffft.

I feel her pain with the navigation skills. I have been known to get lost trying to find the local pizza shop - and I wasn't even drunk :lol:

My goal is to do the dove house colour run with my daughter next year at the very least (which is a 5k run) and the race for life, so the program you suggest should help out in a big way there.

I got serious fitness envy at the moment.....3 years ago heart and lungs of a 90 year old, to 42 mile marathon. Kudos to you - that's an amazing achievement :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby kjay » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Great thread! Just wish I would have cought up sooner.

I have never had any sports in my life life other than skateboarding as a teen. So this year (now age 40) I have decided to start running. In March of this year I set a goal that I wanted to run a 5k. 4 weeks later I accomplished that goal. It was not pretty. I walked several times, but I made it the 3.1mi. 3 weeks ago I ran my first half marathon in 2hr 33m. It was an emotional experience.

Also this year I bought a bike for cross training. I started shopping around for something nice and light, but not too expensive. I quickly found that in my area, even the used bikes from the 80's were $300 to $400US ! Then I had to find one that fit me. After alot of research I finally broke down and went to the local bike shop and had one fit for me. I spent $700US on a Specialized aluminum bike and feel it's money well spent to have a bike that fits. I have since been buying bikes from the 80's at a low price and selling them to make a little extra money. There is good money in the used market.

There is so much to be said about this new hobby. There is not a day that goes buy that I don't think about it by either training or planning. Most days my new found friends (most all from AA) call me and remind me when the next run is. And I am now training for the full marathon coming up in 22 weeks.
Live Easy But Think First
kjay
Forums Contributor

Postby Tosh » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:16 am

Wow kjay, well done; a non-runner to a marathon runner (just about) in a year. That's some going. Which marathon have you got lined up? Is it a big city marathon or a smaller affair? Do you run alone, or do you have any running partners? I used to run my long runs with a sponsee, who is also a psychotherapist and we'd almost have an A.A. meeting on the run, or some really weird conversations. It was fun; mostly; but boy, can this guy talk. I now do my long runs with a border collie, called Tye, who doesn't talk, which is also nice.

I do my weekly hill repeat session with another sponsee, 17 years my junior, and he's starting to get competitive with me; which makes us both work harder. He's not beaten me yet, with emphasis on the 'yet'. :lol:

This is Tye; he belongs to a member of my homegroup, but comes with me on all my long runs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:14 am

Tosh wrote: and we'd almost have an A.A. meeting on the run, or some really weird conversations. It was fun; mostly; but boy, can this guy talk.

you can talk...whilst running... :shock: I can just about manage to breathe :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:21 am

Niagara wrote:
Tosh wrote: and we'd almost have an A.A. meeting on the run, or some really weird conversations. It was fun; mostly; but boy, can this guy talk.

you can talk...whilst running... :shock: I can just about manage to breathe :lol:

:lol:

How is the non smoking and fitness thing going?
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:54 am

struggling to quit honestly, but I'll keep plugging at it. Sick and tired of it to be honest, but end up going back to it for no good reason whatsoever. 'powerless over cigarettes too, it seems. :oops:
fitness is taking a break too thanks to a very sore back. Feel like a little old woman at the moment :lol: Its definitely improving, bit by bit though, and I've lost well over a stone in the last 3 months or so. I guess years of having a sofa as a park bench is going to take some time to overcome :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby kjay » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:04 pm

@niagara, hang in there your doin great. Your right, my past lifestyle is taking a long time to work off, so don't beat yourself up over it. I quit smoking a year ago and started vapeing. I beleive that by using the vape I have cleaned out the lungs a bit. I still have a long way to go, but what I do is slow down my pace to a talking pace. I have worked up to an 11:15 pace for longer runs which is still slower than everyone on the planet it seems.

@Tosh, Since I have been here at e-aa I have read your shares about running. Thanks for sharing. It's been encouraging.

I run with a group of AA'rs, we have meetings on the run too. One member of the group is 74yrs old. He tought me if I can't talk and run then I am going too fast. Untill he gets me to the last mile or two then he doesn't expect to hear anything from me except for long deep breaths. We have one guy who talks way too much, (happens to be my sponsor) but he is fast and I don't have to run with him too often. Honestly, since I am so slow I end up running by myself most of the time anyways. Some days I wonder why I make it a point to meet up with people to run, because I am always running by myself anyways. Boo hoo poor me I know, but it's one of the larger challenges I have met so far. Always watching my group fade away in the distance.

Big city marathon? Like Boston or New York? Nooo. Not yet. I regitered for our local "Big City" marathon... Toledo, Ohio. It's called the Glass City Marathon and 7000 people who register, but that is including the 5k, half marathon, and the 26.2. The cool thing about these organized races is I always find someone slower than me :twisted:
Live Easy But Think First
kjay
Forums Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to But We Aren't a Glum Lot ...