A SOBER BLIZZARD!!!!!

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!
johnd
Forums Long Timer

A SOBER BLIZZARD!!!!!

Post by johnd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 am

Hi All,
Getting ready for a major snowstorm coming this weekend. I've been hearing some people talking it up how bad it's gonna be and all,but what always raises my antennas is the concern about getting to the liqour store in case no one can get out :lol: . Yeah I rember all the past snowstorms used to stock up as if there was going to be a nuclear holocaust. I 'm just grateful that is no longer a concern for me today. The important thing of course is to just be prepared for any other eventuality, such as, power outages, gas for the snowblower and car,
know where everyone is going to be. and also to actually be able to help my neighbors with any shoveling or whatever. My how things have changed without alcohol in my life. So I just want to say you may be seeing me posting here and there because I need to stay connected to my fellowship. I"ll probably hit a F2f meeting tonight , because on Saturday I'm sure the 2 meetings I attend will be cancelled, I can also call a couple members from my groups if need be.and hopefully Sunday I can get to my homegroup. Should be FUN.... Thought I'd share that with you all, so thanks for allowing me to do so. I'm sure Ann2 in Sweden is used to snowstorms so this is probably not a big concern I'm sure. :lol: Thanks John D.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous

Duke
Forums Old Timer

Re: A SOBER BLIZZARD!!!!!

Post by Duke » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks John. Your enthusiasm helped me today.

Within a month of my first meeting, we had a ten day power outage due to a major ice storm. Kerosene heaters and Coleman stove time. No cellular networks at that time, so I was pretty much limited to am radio. But my home group arranged candle light meetings that all of us who could get there attended. We also spent a lot of time on the phone together. I think I read every AA approved book during those ten days.

I remember that time very fondly now, because it proved to me that this program is more powerful than the most unpredictable circumstances. We had each other and that was enough.

I look forward to your posts.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:57 am

I remember phones that work when the lights go out... definitely a shortcoming in the technology these days... Hope you have a generator! And a copy of AA Comes of Age!
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: A SOBER BLIZZARD!!!!!q

Post by ann2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi so cool to see my name. Do you know that with hubby in California right now your snowstorm is actually my business? He's doing something with his reservations to increase his chances of flying home on time. He'll be going north of ya'll up to a layover in Iceland but there was something he had to do to get from LA to Seattle first.

Yes we have tons of snow this year, another pile fell today in fact and the nice foreign workers were shoveling the entrances of this apt complex late in the evening. I think they were part of the squad I saw earlier this year taking the snow off the roof of the arts and music bldg next door. They actually wanted to do it before the temp dropped tonight. It has been unseasonably warm and I'm almost not caring about the snow thanks to not freezing my fingers off all the time. Plus the daylight returning helps.

I actually got to a meeting on Sunday and it was awesome, a newcomer in attendance (how lucky was that?) and switching to a step 1meeting. It was the first time I'd been to the meeting since my anniversary so i got to share about how great this program has worked for me. I'm on borrowed time one could say but actually it's better than that, it's time given in sparkling moments all wrapped up for me thar I get to open every sober second :)

I wish the absolute best for you durung the blizzard and I just remembered something funny --I have started hiding AA literature around my home, for me to dip into in odd moments 8)

Got a cute girl with a fever sleeping next to me and she wants me to stay with her all night. Sounds like a plan.
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi John! You all be safe, we will be thinking of you, and everyone in the Northeast during the storm. Where I live, it's hurricane season that keeps us on our toes. I remember my first sober hurricane..... we went to stay at my Mom's home for a threatened storm. As I was going around the house tying stuff down and bringing stuff inside, Mom, who was 82 and suffered from a bit of dementia, was going around opening up all the doors and windows!!!! She wanted to "air out" the house with all that "nice breeze"!! The nice breeze took down a 30 foot oak tree and most of the rainspouts on the house! :lol:

And they always said I am the sick one.....

Anyway, be safe. We're getting the rain right now that's coming your way...

Ed

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks Everyone,
Like I posted earlier just another event. The Hype is what makes you laugh, Like we never expierinced a storm like this before.
Just some humor for you guys. One of the local cable New England News weather guy really put his foot in his mouth by going on telling the viewers "This storm is going to be of epic proportions! This blizzard will make the blizzard of '78 look like an average storm... so be prepared to witness history," The news anchor asked him if he remembers the blizzard of '78..... you ready for this
his reply was "NO" I wasn't even born yet!" :oops: They say we tend to exaggerate ... I guess that was his E,S,&H. :roll:
I guess i should put this one in We are not a glum lot category :lol:
So everyone enjoy the rest of the evening I'll keep you posted John D.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:27 pm

I moved it for you John! I am sure much hilarity is to follow!
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Post by Jaywalker Steve » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:24 am

When I first glanced at the topic I read it as A SOBER BUZZARD. :oops: I thought you must be having a bad day. :lol:
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH

MaryAnneB
Forums Enthusiast

Post by MaryAnneB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:38 am

Hi Everyone,

I have to chime in here. I'm in the midst of a potential "Epic Blizzard" as well and the newscasters are really going over the top. I just heard a state of emergency being called at noontime by the Governor to be off the road by 12??? I haven't even seen a flake yet and it's 9:30.

Well Anyways, my 5 y.o. grand daughter has a project due on Monday. They have to do a "100" of something... okay so 2 of her little friends and she were with me the other day and friend #1 (Erin) says: "I'm doing 100 Stickers!!" and friend # 2 (Jordan) says "I'm doing 100 Stick people!!" and my little one looks at them and looks back at me says "well I'm doing 100 cupcakes right MIMI?????" :shock: we are???????

I couldn't be happier, what's better than being snowed in at my Son's house (who BTW didn't speak to me for over 4 years!!! It took THAT long to gain his trust back) making cupcakes while my husband and Son work the shovels and snow blowers???

I'm on cupcake, snow angel and snowman patrol. My husband gave her a list of "clothes" we need for our snowman which I'm sure she's driving my daughter crazy finding right now.

And I'm told it just gets better as long as I continue to do what I'm doing, thanks everyone for being here for me and for those in the Northeast USA - be safe in the snow!
MaryAnne~
“Don’t ever let anyone tell you the sky’s the limit when there are footsteps on the Moon!” ~ Anonymous

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:06 am

What a good day it is!!!!

Buzzards and cupcakes...... :lol: :lol:

Here in the South, we say "y'all" a lot. Y'all are a hoot!

Thanks, Ed

AlisonT
Forums Enthusiast

Post by AlisonT » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:33 am

I was in New Hampshire in 78. As I recall we got a lot of snow in that year and the following one. The storm wasn't that epic in the sense of amount of snow. The thing that made it epic was it hit at rush hour and 3 tractor trailers jacknifed on the beltway around Boston, which made for one hell of a mess. Some people were stuck on the beltway for days. That's when the governor of Mass. decreed that no one could drive for the next week until they got all the cars off the beltway. Up in NH it was just another snowstorm. They didn't even call off work.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 am

Buzzard Cupcakes?

No wait Blizzard cup cakes! It's a white out and you can't see 'em!

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Paige & Ed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: John D.

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Blizzard cupcakes.... hmmmm. I do have a bit of a problem with baked goods. Set a tray of cupcakes near me and they will become Blizzard cupcakes. You soon won't be able to see them anymore!!

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Well glad that storm is over, got pounded I went out about 11 this morning with about 2 breaks within 2 hour intervals finally finished shoveling about 5 pm. The whole time I just used the principles of the program. I just thought about the days I wouldn't shovel because I was too hung over or had to rush off to work and struggling trying to drive over mounds of snow. :lol:
The insanity has to some degree subsided since those days. I also remember how I would have a couple of beers in the snow bank while I shoveled thinking it was agood way to stay warm :roll: . No matter what I'd be doing a drink was in my hand or nearby.
I don't miss that at all..... It's nice to actually pace yourself and just accept the fact that it's just a circumstance as my sponsor always pointed out. How would I deal with it, simple put one foot in front of the other and go to it. I'm glad I'm sober. I also thought if some of the meetings actually had been open today, there was a driving ban til late this afternoon. I am in a good place though mentally, physically and spiritually. I am looking forward to my meeting tomorrow morning. I'm sure there will be some great shares and we can all look at each other and know we came through it sober. That is all we can ask for. Thanks for letting me share.
John D.