Train hijacked by cleaning lady crashes into house

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Train hijacked by cleaning lady crashes into house

Post by ann2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:16 am

This happened 10 miles from my kids' school -- some of their classmates live nearby -- and it's right across the bay from where I live.

From The Local, Sweden's news in English:
A cleaning lady managed to commandeer a Stockholm-area tram early Tuesday morning, eventually crashing it into a house in the upscale suburb of Saltsjöbaden. . . .

According to the Expressen newspaper, there were five residents from three different families sleeping in the building at the time of the accident.

The lead car of the Saltsjöbanan train came to rest in the first-floor kitchen of one of the houses three flats, causing severe damage.

"It's incredibly lucky that no one in the house was injured," police spokesman Ulf Lindgren told the TT news agency.. . .

At first officials with Stockholm public transport operator SL were at a loss to explain why the train was in operation at the time or how it managed to barrel through the barrier at the end of the line and continue another 25 metres before slamming into the nearby house.

"The train must have been going much faster than it normally does," SL spokesman Fredrik Cavalli-Björkman told Expressen.

The accident also prompted questions as to whether the woman, who is reportedly in her twenties, was actually a train conductor.

However, a spokesman for subcontractor Arriva, which is responsible for operating the line, explained later Tuesday morning that the train had been stolen.

"It was a cleaner who for unknown reasons stole the train," Arriva spokesman Tomas Hedenius told Aftonbladet.
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

AlisonT
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Train hijacked by cleaning lady crashes into house

Post by AlisonT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:02 am

And I thought I had troubles with my cleaning lady....

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:08 am

Damn, we need to watch out for cleaning ladies, I'd no idea they could be so dangerous!

Maybe she had "Stockholm Syndrome" ;)
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Post by Jaywalker Steve » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 am

Look for her in a meeting near you. :shock:
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 am

Thank God nobody was hurt..... but wouldn't you just LOVE to be able to use that story as part of your drunkalogue!!!! :lol:

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:50 am

I guess some people really do go to any lengths to find and/or create work.
That one is gonna' require quite a cleanup job. :D

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.

Mousey
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Mousey » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 am

That "clean up" is gonna be a spendy one!!!
To gain that which is worth having.... It may be nessesary to loose everything else.....

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:52 am

Or maybe the building gets written off as total loss by the insurance company.
Might not be worth the expense.

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:31 am

Unfortunately this news event was eclipsed by a 50-car pile-up on the motorway in Southern Sweden due to this ever-present falling white stuff nobody around here seems to notice except me.

But it dominated the morning radio broadcasts, one of which included an interview with the insurance company representative who was to be on hand all day . . .

Just wonder what goes through someone's mind, "I never tried one of these things, I wonder if they're easy to drive?"

Or perhaps it was a series of wrong buttons she pressed while cleaning . . . "Just wipe up this blinking light here . . . no, now that one is blinking and needs a good polish . . . uh oh, something's moving . . . maybe I should step on the brake . . . is this it?"

Poor lady is in the hospital and facing charges.
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 am

Whew. This made national new in the US and I passed it by on my way here. I think maybe this woman was late for work.... I did all sorts of things trying to get to work on time! You gonna make a 12 Step call Ann? 8)

I remember the day Ax Man walked into a meeting... yeah he took an ax to a bar that refused him service cause he was already too drunk...
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65