UK/USA

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!
Patter
Forums Enthusiast

Re: UK/USA

Post by Patter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Oh, Texan! SRV. Now you're talking. Saw him 4 times within the first 6 rows. Some people want to say wow over Jeff Beck, what was left of the Allmans, Joe Cocker, and the Fab T-Birds, who may have performed too those nights, but Stevie blew me away. From there I go into Albert Collins, Albert King, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Johnnie Copeland. My new favorite is a kid from St Louis named Marquise Knox because he NAILS everyone I just named. Unbelieveable.

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Marc L wrote:
Lali wrote:Has he been located yet?
Nope; not yet.
Such a holsum young man, what the heck happened to him?

Marc
I found Elvis. He's in the Astrodome in Houston at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Circa March 1, 1970. A scant three years before I moved to Houston from Austin, where Willie played, and still plays, and SRV got his start.
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Alright - now I don't know who to believe!! You or that magazine in the grocery store that scooped the story that Elvis is clerkin' at a 7-11 in Tennessee.

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Patter wrote:Oh, Texan! SRV. Now you're talking. Saw him 4 times within the first 6 rows. Some people want to say wow over Jeff Beck, what was left of the Allmans, Joe Cocker, and the Fab T-Birds, who may have performed too those nights, but Stevie blew me away. From there I go into Albert Collins, Albert King, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Johnnie Copeland. My new favorite is a kid from St Louis named Marquise Knox because he NAILS everyone I just named. Unbelieveable.
Marquise Knox sounds a lot like BB King, who by the way will be playing in my hometown this coming Thursday night. I saw BB in Houston at a small venue many, MANY years ago when big hair was still in vogue. He would get to shaking his head back and forth and everyone back to the fourth or fifth row would get an Afrosheen shower! We were, thankfully sitting in the balcony. And what about Nina Simone?

Lali - VInce Gill has prolly one of the best voices in Country Music. While I do enjoy listening to Vince, I really prefer some Dwight Yokem, Lyle Lovett and with a blue grass twang, Allison Krause. She prolly has one of the finest female voices around. Let's not forget about another Texan that died way too young, Janice Joplin from Orange, Texas! She grew up in what we lovingly refer to as the Golden Armpit of Texas. Beaumont, Port Arthur and Orange. So named the Golden Triangle, changed to the Armpit because of all the refineries there that foul the air, or at least used to when I was in Houston.

johnd - All the old southern rock bands you refer to are great. They are all favorites, without a doubt. Add to those, and how could you forget about Led Zeppelin when you speak of the British bands?

Patter
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Patter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:00 pm

I have a crush on Allison Krause without ever seeing her. That voice! Adele does that to me too. I guess I left out the other side of my head that loves U2, REM, Breaking Benjamin, Ben Folds, Dave Matthews, Daughtry, and Johnny Cash. hey how'd he get in there?

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Patter wrote:I have a crush on Allison Krause without ever seeing her. That voice! Adele does that to me too. I guess I left out the other side of my head that loves U2, REM, Breaking Benjamin, Ben Folds, Dave Matthews, Daughtry, and Johnny Cash. hey how'd he get in there?
Sorry. Allison is mine. :D :D

Have you seen Diana Krall? I had a weekend get away planned for my wife and I, going to New Orleans one time several years ago. There was to be a national trade show down there at which my company was planning to exhibit at that summer and I was tasked with finding several restaurants to take the company brass to while they were in town. Tough duty, right? I was down there calling on customers and found out Diana Krall would be performing about a month before the trade show. I told my boss that I was going to take my wife down there with me on my restaurant search, make a long weekend out of it and take in a show. He agreed and told me just to expense the whole weekend since I was going to be looking for places to wine and dine the top brass. I had a very cool boss. Anyway, it was a late anniversary trip for us so off we went. We stayed at the River Front Hilton down next to the Quarter, ate some FINE food in and around the Quarter, and the theater was located within whaling distance just down Canal Street. So the time comes for the show and we get gussied up and take the hike down to the Saenger Theater. We get there and NOBODY is there! There is a handwritten note on the door explaining that her show had been cancelled at the last minute due to an illness in the family. About that time a nicely dressed couple gets out of a cab, reads the note and with looks of despair quite like ours on their faces, turn to ask us if we knew what the deal was. Nobody answered the phone at the theater and we both were collectively stuck with hundreds of dollars of tickets in our hands.

Anyway, they had about the same story. They came in from out of town for the show and we both suddenly had an entire evening to fill that neither of us expected to have to fill on the fly. Fortunately, New Orleans is a good place to find something to do and the four of us trekked off to Bourbon Street, stopped for a light dinner at Dickie Brennon's, then made our way up to the top of the World Trade Center where a great band was playing and we all had a great time in spite of the show cancellation. Turns out, her mother passed away that night, so it was understandable and the show rescheduled. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the rescheduled show because it was the Saturday after Thanksgiving. So I got my money back and with it I bought every CD I could find of hers which are now forever stored on one of four terabyte external HD's I've dedicated to music, movies and television shows uncut and without commercials. :D :D :D

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 am

i hear so much Zeppilin on classic rock station hear in Boston, they actually have a show dedicated to them called Stairway to seven. it pretty much gives a profile an updates about the band. I really enjoy it with some real deep cuts and other stuff you don't get to hear as often. Great stuff though Texan, I almost forgot about Little Feat now that's a band you don't hear too often either. Be my Dixie Chicken I'll be your Tennesee lamb.
What about Riders of the Purple Sage (Panama Red) or Pure Prarie League... oh wow this brings it all back.
Thanks Texan..... John D. :)
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:06 am

I saw Diana Krall on t.v. and loved her. Her style, if my memory serves me right, is somewhat like Alicia Keyes who I also love.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him