UK/USA

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

UK/USA

Post by Lali » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm curious. Do ya'll (slang for you all) in the UK have access to US television or movies? To my knowledge we don't have access to British media, etc. (except for some of the activities of the royal family). I ask because there was a benefit concert, a marathon, here in the U.S. for the victims of a hurricane in New York/New Jersey and I wonder if it was made available to the UK. I think it was spearheaded by Paul McCartney because most of the artists were British. It was great, all the bands I loved in high school and now performed, the Rolling Stones, The Who, Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, etc. It was awesome and I was able to record it. Do ya'll listen to American artists the way we listen to the Brits?
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: UK/USA

Post by Tosh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Lali wrote:Do ya'll listen to American artists the way we listen to the Brits?
We certainly do, Lali, we regularly hear Bing Crosby and Dean Martin crooning on the airwaves; Nat King Cole is fab isn't he? I can't say I'm current with today's music, but I love the Eagles, Whitney Houston (poor lass), Guns 'n' Roses and many others. Oh, I love Joan Baez - she's magic - but Mrs Tosh says my taste in music is terrible btw!

However, we do complain about certain elements of US film production, particularly the war films; for example The Great Escape historically contained mostly British and Polish military, no Americans, and U-571 was a complete rip-off of what a British sub actually did (delete British, insert US). That incidentally made it to my Step 4 resentment list and I actually found that I had no part to play in that resentment; it was inherently a US fabrication of the truth! :mrgreen:

But yes, the USA is the Greek culture of today; everyone copies it; the good and the bad. We even have MacDonalds over here!

I like a Big Mac mind; but they're not as big as they used to be!
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh, and the best import we have had from the US is A.A., though the actual seed of it all started in the UK, in 1908, in Kendal which isn't that far from my home town. :mrgreen:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:34 pm

Tosh wrote:
Lali wrote:Do ya'll listen to American artists the way we listen to the Brits?
We certainly do, Lali, we regularly hear Bing Crosby and Dean Martin crooning on the airwaves; Nat King Cole is fab isn't he? I can't say I'm current with today's music, but I love the Eagles, Whitney Houston (poor lass), Guns 'n' Roses and many others. Oh, I love Joan Baez - she's magic - but Mrs Tosh says my taste in music is terrible btw
So, mostly dead people, huh? But seriously, we actually have better music than that now. If you want, I'll PM you some more current artists in case you want to update your music library. But surely, you listen to the Beatles.

As for the movies you mention, sometimes the U.S. will take stuff from an actual event and tweak it to make it interesting to an American, I guess. I don't know the answer to that because I'm not up on history so I wouldn't know fact from fiction.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Lali wrote:If you want, I'll PM you some more current artists in case you want to update your music library. But surely, you listen to the Beatles.
Yes please, if only so I can listen to some stuff you like. I'm pretty well stuck in the 1980s for some reason though! :oops:

Mrs Tosh and my daughter both take the mick out of my taste in music; Joan Baez is great. :mrgreen:

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Most of the artists you mentioned are from the 50's and 60's!!! Come, join us in the 2000s - lol.

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Don't take him too far underground with the music, Lali.... Tosh probably suspects we're all daft anyway, that might convince him!!! Start slow.....

:mrgreen: Ed

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 pm

You didn't mention any of the greats like Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Hank WIlliams, Sr., or my personal favorite, Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Wait and minute. Most of those are dead, too. How about Boston. Johnny Winter. I like Dianna Krall, but she's from Canada. Well, that's North American, anyway.

Telling my age. Moody Blues, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. My Southern Roots - ZZ Top and Lynard Skynard.
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Actually, I like most of those artists. But upon thinking about it, I'm not sure if I can recommend music that a man would like. :?

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Oh come on Lali! Let's hear from the soft and tender side. A little Elvis, maybe?

Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:48 pm

I looooooooooove Elvis! I also like easy listening and harmonies. I wore out 3 Wilson Phillips cassette tapes of their first album. Love Fleetwood Mac (Rumours album and The Dance album). IMO best male voice in the business - Vince Gill (country music). Best female voice in the business - Celene Dion (easy listening, pop). Tosh, you would probably like Michael Boob-lay (that's the pronunciation, I think). He's been called the new Frank Sinatra.

I could go on and on but I won't. :D

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Texan wrote: Image
Sorry Folks but he left the building years ago. :D
Thanks for the photo.

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Has he been located yet?

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:03 pm

If Yer gonna have a barney i'll hold your cloak,,,, A favorite line used by John Lennon in A Hard's Night movie. Tosh would get that 1 I'm sure. Anyway Texan How bout some Marshall Tucker or Allman Brothers. Or for the older crowd a little Dion and the Belmonts doing Run Around Sue, or Ricky Nelson singing Travelin Man. Hey about some Bob Seger or Van Halen (early stuff) other British bands Badfinger, Peter Frampton, Van Morrisson. I just love different music. Used to D J during my drinking days, Drink all night for free,
Glad I don't have to drink all night today. Besides the music sounds better sober John D. :D Oh By the way it's Elvis's Birthday today. Can't you hear him singing Burning Love :lol:
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Lali wrote:Has he been located yet?
Nope; not yet.
Such a holsum young man, what the heck happened to him?

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.