Merry Christmas!!

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Merry Christmas!!

Post by Texan »

From a grateful recovering alcoholic to all of you that I've visited with over the last near 10 months, I wish the very Merriest of Christmas' and a very safe and Happy New Year!!!

Christmas traditions - my family isn't that traditional on Christmas other than we always make the extra effort to be together around the holidays. The one tradition I started with my then girlfriend, now wife of nearly twenty-four years, was to wake on Christmas morning, and after all the gifts were opened we'd have lox and bagels for brunch with a mimosa or three. So last year, not wanting to break the tradition yet making an vein attempt at sobriety at least for the day, I bought some ginger ale to mix with the OJ. Damned if it wasn't pretty good and tasted very much like a mimosa without the kick! So I guess that's the new holiday tradition without the twist at my home, since the wife is recently over the flu (big time flu, not moving from the bed for like 4-5 days) and I'm finding a few remaining two liter bottles of ginger ale in the - what used to house the champagne - refrigerator. We had been with family for the past few days in another town about 2 hours southwest of here, and made the dreadful mistake of waiting to go to the grocery store for the sliced smoked salmon this morning with the wife and son. I actually went back to the grocery store with my mother a few hours later to pick up a few things for her and dad to have tomorrow after the eat the traditional Christmas Story Chinese dinner. It wasn't as crazy the second time around but it was pretty well picked over. Then the two hour drive home so the Big Man can slide down our chimney instead of having to look for us in a hotel somewhere a hundred miles away.

I think my second new tradition will be to mosey on down to the Serenity Club for a while to wish my AA friends a Merry Christmas before going over to some friends house tomorrow night for dinner.

What are your post alcoholic Christmas traditions?
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

JohnElkRiver
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Merry Christmas!!

Post by JohnElkRiver »

Merry Christmas to you Texan and everyone else reading this.

I just returned from a great family Christmas dinner. This is the 2nd Christmas in 16 years that i've been sober. I am a very grateful recovered Alcoholic. God bless us all.

John

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

We made tons of food, most of which is sitting in our fridge today for the traditional Christmas non-eating day (in Europe we celebrate on Christmas eve). Today we were out in the snow grilling giant hot dogs over an open fire and watching the kids be kids with snow and sleds and such. Hot chocolate and coffee served outside, by a fire enclosed by a snow bunker, grateful to see our problematic kids actually enjoy themselves and cut loose a bit :-)

It's been a sort of tradition to lure my husband's brother and his two boys out to our former rectory, the house in the country we've owned since the 11 year old was 4 months old. The boys are 16 and 15 now and play pretty well with the 11 year old and 6 year old girls from hubby and me. Hubby and his bro down many liquors (some home made by bro) and beers and such, while I fiddle with this and that and the kids get to know each other again. Hubby bought the Wii deer hunting game (thought of getting a game where people are the targets but decided that wasn't natural, good thinking) and the oldest girl is now a crack shot.

They are a morose crowd, I have to say, at times, and at times my funnin' Americanism has no appreciative audience (except for the girls, who think pretty much everything Mom does is great, so glad I had kids). I personally don't know why we all have to sit around and be glum, lol. But thanks to AA!!!!! I don't let them get to me :-) This Christmas more than ever I realize how very lucky I am to have this program to fall back on, day by day minute by minute, precious moment by precious moment. I mean, just the other day reading the step 12 essay I ran across the quote about marital difficulties (p117). Just like other societies, it read, and I understood that I'm *lucky* to have marital difficulties . . . it's part of life and I'm alive!! So I shared this with hubby and he agreed. We have marital problems, and . . . so? Doesn't mean I can't enjoy life . . . in fact, it is part of life, and I am really really lucky to be alive.

I like your virgin mimosas, Texan. I was going to have "light" glogg but it wasn't light enough, unfortunately!! So for me it's bubble water, which is also very good. Plus lots of home-made sweets, chocolate chip cookies (actually not something you can find in this country, so a bit of a treat for the visitors) plus some Swedish specialities, coconut butter and baking chocolate treats called "ice chocolate". Also my sister mailed me some of her home-made Chex Mix, another great American treat (no Chex cereal in this country either).

And I made Swedish meatballs for the Julbord which my youngest daughter preferred to her uncle's :-) heh heh.

Merry merry merry .. .

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan »

I've lived in Texas my whole life and have been snowed on a number of times. But NEVER on Christmas day before. This is a first!

Yeah, I know. It's just a dusting. But to us, it would close schools if they weren't already closed for the Christmas break. If the grocery stores were open, there would be a rush on bread, milk, beer and batteries. We're going to go for a drive and take a look around. For once, I might have a real need for the 4 wheel drive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S »

Thanks everyone,

I was thinking about that last Christmas before I fell into AA, and the difference the ones since have been... There is an amazing difference, like a whole other person lived this secoond one. From being alone & out of my mind to have more friends than I know what to do with, or about sometimes :)

Yesterday was about baking Hawaiian Christmas Cakes (I use real Hawaiians :wink: ) and delivering them, dragging along some lonely soul, who got sucked into the sober, infectious cheer every where we visited

Today was gifts & presents, but the greatest Gift I have is a Life worth living, and the Presence of those in my life, who know and care for me, and I for them.

Ate like a king, wore out the phone and e-mail, and get to enjoy another day Sober, and a little closer to the kind of man the Creator designed me to be.

Thanks for being part of the journey with me...

Merry Christmas to all, and thanks for the post, Bill !

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan »

I wish we had a "Like" button!!!!!!!!!!

I never tasted a fresh Hawaiian before. May have to put that on my Bucket List! :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

Texan, what is your specialty food for the holidays?
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan »

Do you remember the dove recipe? I've got some 10-15 count shrimp marinating in some Italian dressing, that is wrapped around a pepper and some cream cheese, then a piece of bacon wrapped around that. They are a little bigger than a golf ball. Was gonna have them last night but the snow came, so we had Chinese instead. I might brave the cold and start a mesquite fire on the patio later, but chances are slim at this point. :( :(
They'll wait 'till tomorrow.

The boy has winter camp starting tomorrow afternoon. I'm thinking of taking the camper out there and catching up on some quality nap time. My Scout Leader Napping Merit Badge, which is an on-going effort, needs some bolstering. If I go, I'll take the shrimp out there and cook them on the hibachi grill. Image

I'll have half the scouts over at my tent looking to get their grilling Merit Badge.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

There should be a merit badge for any scout who is able to consume your extra spicy recipes without washing it down with a gallon of water. :D

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan »

1/2 & 1/2 sweet/unsweet iced tea from Sonic. Route 44 to be exact. :D :D

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan »

Lali wrote:There should be a merit badge for any scout who is able to consume your extra spicy recipes without washing it down with a gallon of water. :D

Grilled some of those shrimp doobers tonight. All I can say is Good Doobers. GOOOD DOOBERS!
(Using my best Andy Taylor impression.)

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Love the snow report. So much fun to see a Texas suburb again. I'm still adjusting to not living like that!! Not that I ever lived in Texas, but can't say I would mind :-)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

Texan wrote:
Lali wrote:There should be a merit badge for any scout who is able to consume your extra spicy recipes without washing it down with a gallon of water. :D

Grilled some of those shrimp doobers tonight. All I can say is Good Doobers. GOOOD DOOBERS!
Hahaha! Being from South carolina, I really relate to the show. Still watching the reruns. The fictitious town of Mayberry was taped in the real town of Mt. Airy, North Carolina.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

I sure do love you people! Happy New Year!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

Lali wrote:
Texan wrote:

Hahaha! Being from South carolina, I really relate to the show. Still watching the reruns. The fictitious town of Mayberry was taped in the real town of Mt. Airy, North Carolina.
Really???? I wanna go there!!!! :D
I loved that show. We had reruns here in the UK up till a couple years ago. In fact.... I may have a 16mm print of one episode somewhere in my collection.