Gonna Be Some Smoking Going on This Weekend

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Re: Gonna Be Some Smoking Going on This Weekend

Post by Texan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:04 am

ann2 wrote:My little girl (11) just joined Scouts and for her it's a huge huge deal. I know your involvement meant a huge amount to not a few kids there.
Scouting builds character not only for the child, but for the parents. Get her involved. Get involved yourself. Be a Den Mother or whatever the Girl Scouts have. Seeing and being involved with their involvement makes it that mush more memorable for the children. I know there are situations where parental involvement isn't possible, but to see parents of any kind of means use something like this as a babysitting service drives me up the wall. They are missing out on a valuable opportunity to make a long lasting impression on their children's life's. Being a Scout leader is one of the best jobs you can have outside of being a parent. It is one of the best paying jobs you can get!
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

Mustang Sally
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Mustang Sally » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi Texan,

I take it the weiner dog is present and accounted for? (I grew up with the standard versions and love them - they're super dogs.)

I sincerely hope that you appreciate the magnitude of the gifts you gave your troops this weekend. Not only are you a fine role model who can comfortably lead by example...you have given them memories that will last a lifetime.

Bless you!

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Mustang Sally wrote:Hi Texan,

I take it the weiner dog is present and accounted for? (I grew up with the standard versions and love them - they're super dogs.)

I sincerely hope that you appreciate the magnitude of the gifts you gave your troops this weekend. Not only are you a fine role model who can comfortably lead by example...you have given them memories that will last a lifetime.

Bless you!
The little black and tan wonder is present and accounted for, 'Stang. thanks for your concern. They are great dogs 'till they bite your toe for trying to regain your rightful spot in the bed. Then she is apt to become a projectile. She does keep the zombies at bay if they happen to get past the big dawg in the backyard. You know they were bred to chase badgers into the hole and drive them out, don't you? We have an armadillo that has really made a mess of my front yard and has now taken up residence under the house through a tunnel it dug. I'm thinking of sending her down there after the 'dillo.

And thanks for the kind words. I am but one of a number of adult leaders that go above and beyond for these kids. We've got a doctor, a lawyer, a nurse, a maintenance man at a manufacturing plant in town, a professional yard man, a food service manager at a nursing home, a vet, then me, a recovering alkie. What a combo.

Bless you, too!

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Glad you had a successful trip, Bill... It's wonderful to be sober for those we care for :)
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:22 am

Texan wrote:. . . we set up an obstacle course. . .
Woulda been funny if you had set up an obstacle course to the latrine!!

Yeah, I've been told I have a sick sense of humor.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Lali wrote:
Texan wrote:. . . we set up an obstacle course. . .
Woulda been funny if you had set up an obstacle course to the latrine!!

Yeah, I've been told I have a sick sense of humor.
All I can say is, you ain't from around here. Kids around here grow up sucking on a jalapeno instead of their thumb or a pacifier. We teach them early on how to handle spicy foods.

Reminds me of when we went of vacation up to a buddy's cabin on a lake in northern Minnesota. We flew into Minneapolis, then drove to Duluth, bought groceries, then on up to the lake. Next morning I made breakfast. I had looked and looked for some picante sauce along with some Tobasco at the grocery store in Duluth. I found one facing of each on the shelf, which I bought. I remember the teller looking at me sort of strange as she rang me up. The tortilla's were hard to find, too. Anyway, the next morning I made breakfast for everyone. My buddy made a big deal out of trying the Tobasco on his eggs. One little drop. One teensy weensy drop and I thought he was going to drink the lake dry!!! He watch with stunned amazement when I took the bottle and drenched my eggs with them. Then my son, who was about 10 at the time, doused his eggs with it too! He's told that story over and over again.

The next year we went on an ice fishing trip up to Lake of the Woods on the Canadian border. I packed my own big bottle of Tobasco in my carry-on baggage. I was surprised to see the outfitter had some at the restaurant. Shocked is a better word for it. Even at that, all those people around me watched as I used it like ketchup on my eggs and hash browns.

But yes, the obstacle course did lead to a latrine of sorts. They had to go out into the woods on a geocaching trail. Who knows what they did while they were in the woods. And yes, the wild bear does crap in the woods, although we don't have bears around here. I would have to do some convincing though if you heard the scoring coming out of some of those tents. At least, I thought it was snoring? :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:08 am

II love your stories. Keep em coming.

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Most people keep Tobasco on the table or in the fridge. I keep mine on my belt!

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:23 pm

At first glance, I thought that was a fire extinguisher which ain't a bad idea given your diet. :oops:

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:42 pm

We use ice cream in Texas. Specifically, Blue Bell ice cream. The cows are happier in Brehnam.

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:15 pm

What a really, really nice thread to read through! As a Dad of 2 grown kids, and Grandpa to an 8 year old boy, I just have to say I really enjoyed reading this.

Thanks!

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:27 pm

This is how Bill sends the scout's home.
:oops: :oops: :oops: : :oops:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Question, Bill. Can you make the dove thing with baked chicken instead? And were do you get the cajun spice - right along with all of the other spices in the grocery store? Thanks.

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:29 pm

I ran out of dove one year (hard to believe 'cause my two uprights were the repository for about 800 we brought back from more than a few South Texas hunts) and subbed chicken tenders in place of the dove. Cut the tenders in half and use a half a piece of bacon. We started calling them chicken doo-dads. I still put the jalapeño slice in the middle, wrap the chicken around it, then the bacon around that. It's all held together with a toothpick, then dropped into an Italian dressing laced with juice left over from the peppers. At a golf tournament, we prepared several hundred for the party the night before. A local restaurant owner was in the crowd that night and a few weeks later, the showed up on his menu.

Cajun spice? You should be able to find some on the spice isle at the grocery store. If you can't, let me know and I'll PM you a couple of links where you can order it direct.

Thanks, Becksdad. We have a lot of fun with the Scouts. My son is now working on his Mandatory Eagle badge requirements, then he'll begin his service project. The rule is, if he isn't an Eagle by 16, he won't be able to drive the old truck waiting for him in the garage. He can drive me around all over while he has his learners permit, but if he isn't Eagle when he's 16, he'll be driving his Hush Puppy's down the street to catch the bus to school. We carry him to school now, so the bus thing really has him motivated. Experience of Scout leaders before me has shown that if they don't attain Eagle before driving age, attaining it afterwards proves to be very difficult. It has something to do with the aroma of gasoline and perfume that steers them off course.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks, Bill, for the recipe!!