Letting my Higher Power Guide Me

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!
Maddy
Forums Newcomer

Letting my Higher Power Guide Me

Post by Maddy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 am

Haven't posted on here for a few week cos head was up my bottom with poor me me me and despairing and feeling guilty about not working since my move to NL in June. On Monday I made a conscious spurred on by I don't know what or how - my HP - effort to kick myself hard, picked myself up, got into my prgramme again and following an interview I had a few weeks ago and thought it had come to nothing I was offered the position yesterday. I start my new job 24th September and i can't express my joy. After calling my fiance and my mum to tell them I called my AA close friends in the UK to share my news. They were almost more pleased than I was. I asked after a few peeps and knowing the person well I was told he had gone back out again after several years of sobriety. i said I was really surprised; but then I thought , why should I be? It could be me today or tomorrow. It's only ever ODAAT.

And so the realisation dawned on me yet again of the power of my illness as well as my Higher Power, my willingness to stay well ODAAT and do what I can for others. Whether it be a smile, a conversation - anything.

After the initial delight of gaining a new working position calmed down, my illness came back to the forefront of my mind.

Without AA, i would not be typing this now.

Thank God for AA

xxx

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: Letting my Higher Power Guide Me

Post by ann2 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:20 am

So wonderful to hear, Maddy! I love what you take from this experience. Congratulations and thank you for that beautiful humility you share.

big big hugs,

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:36 am

Terrific news, Maddy.

Good things happen to drunks who don't drink :)

Keep doing what your doing... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:49 am

I have heard it said, "Thank AA for God!"
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:12 am

Excellent, Maddy. It's always good to hear news of A.A. working.
:D

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:09 am

Great deal, Maddy! I'm proud for you on everything! I hope the new j-o-b works out. Are they hiring? :D :D
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.