Are there any runners here?

"... We absolutely insist on enjoying life" (p. 132, Alcoholics Anonymous). Here's the forum for fun and frivolity. Enjoy!

Are there any runners here?

Postby Tosh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Today I did my first 12 mile training run. It took just under 2 hours, so very sloooooow! And I was tired, really tired, when I arrived back home soaking wet from the torrential rain. From mile 9 all I could think about was food too; I was so hungry; and as soon as I got back I headed straight for the fridge to stuff grub down my greedy neck.

I've got a 20 km cross country race in November and a Marathon in January; and another stone to lose (when I stopped drinking I started eating all the wrong stuff and put on a couple of stone). Oh, 1 stone = 14 lbs; I think it's only the British who use the weight measurement 'stone'.

So, any runners here? What kind of stuff do you do? Recreational, trail, marathons, a club runner, etc?

Just nosing.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Are there any runners here?

Postby Texan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 pm

In Texas, during the summer months, we run from one air-conditioned environment to another as quickly as possible. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:08 am

:mrgreen:

I hope your times are improving on the 20 meter dash to the fridge!
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 am

Congrats on your ability and ambition, Tosh!

*Many* years ago I could beat almost any batter to first base to back up the throw, but now I am last-in-line at the 'fridge.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:26 pm

leejosepho wrote:*Many* years ago I could beat almost any batter to first base to back up the throw, but now I am last-in-line at the 'fridge.

We call that rounders in the UK. :D

Was that your sport, Lee, Baseball?
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Getting there...started running again after a major foot reconstruction, lengthy rehab and an even longer list of excuses. Managed to drop nearly all the weight and build some endurance and strength. Now it's a matter of training for that triathlon. Two of my big brothers are triathletes with one being a monster runner and the other being a fish. I've been strong on the bike in the past, so they'll break me down an build me up so I don't die at my first. Maybe a team race would be cool...
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby Texan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Tosh wrote::mrgreen:

I hope your times are improving on the 20 meter dash to the fridge!

I'm not talking about running to the 'fridge. During the summer months in my neck of the woods, it isn't uncommon to string 20-30, or even 40 days in a row of triple digit heat! There are days you'll break a sweat just walking to the mailbox and back! Days where a dip in the cement pond feels more like a sauna than a refreshing dip in a pool.

We have four seasons. Almost summer, summer, just past summer, and about five or six days of fall. :D :D
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tosh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:02 am

Jaywalker Steve wrote:Getting there...started running again after a major foot reconstruction, lengthy rehab and an even longer list of excuses. Managed to drop nearly all the weight and build some endurance and strength. Now it's a matter of training for that triathlon. Two of my big brothers are triathletes with one being a monster runner and the other being a fish. I've been strong on the bike in the past, so they'll break me down an build me up so I don't die at my first. Maybe a team race would be cool...

Triathlons sound too much like hard work for me; well the swimming part definitely does. I past my army swimming test *just* by getting screamed at by the physical training instructors. Luckily enough you only ever have to pass it once.

And well done though for getting back to it and losing the weight; losing weight isn't easy especially if you're greedy, like me! I've went from 14 Stone - oh you guys use pounds, er 196 pounds to 177 since February. The thing is, running makes me want to eat, and I have a physical job; so I need enough calories to do what I need to do; it feels like a tightrope sometimes. I am trying to get to 154 pounds to be a skinny runner, but I haven't weighed that since my boxing days (20 years ago).

Let us know how you get on with your first tri!
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:06 am

Texan wrote:We have four seasons. Almost summer, summer, just past summer, and about five or six days of fall. :D :D

I'm jealous. We in the UK have had the wettest Summer in 100 years and yet I hear the Eastern US has been getting baked. So we started off the year with freezing temps, had two weeks of relatively decent weather, months of rain and now we're going to be back to freezing.

God grant me the Serenity (etc)...
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:14 am

Congrats Jaywalker, you're amazing -- I watched the triathalon races here in Stockholm during a wet day (they swam in the harbor! the japanese dude was the only one without a wet suit) from the comfort of my home and it looked very very cool, like something people can really enjoy. They did paired mixed the 2nd day and they went round and round doing all the events over and over again in relay with opposite sex, no way to keep track! but it was nice that the city cleaned itself up for the day, except with the rain it was so bare and so bleak. Are there tris in Hawaii?
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:27 am

Tosh wrote:
leejosepho wrote:*Many* years ago I could beat almost any batter to first base to back up the throw, but now I am last-in-line at the 'fridge.

Softball, and I had joined a certain fraternal organization where beer was part of the game!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:00 am

leejosepho wrote:
Tosh wrote:

Softball, and I had joined a certain fraternal organization where beer was part of the game!

Sounds like a great workout, Lee! It's probably the only workout where you gain weight!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:17 am

Lali wrote:Sounds like a great workout, Lee! It's probably the only workout where you gain weight!

You want to try British cricket; what a boring game that is. Bill Bryson (a colonial) writes that 'Cricket is the only game with scheduled meal breaks'. I can't understand why anyone would ever play that.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:17 am

Swimming in open water terrifies me. It's almost irrational. It's going to take more prayer and meditation than training!

Your avatar is most excellent Tosh!
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tosh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Still running regularly here and getting into fell racing (running up 'n' down mountains); with a whole weekend of fell racing happening this weekend with a race on Sat and another (on tired legs) on Sun; camping in the mountains too.

On Saturday we're running around this mountain and in the afternoon we'll be swimming in the lake we've just ran around:

It makes me smile to think that this was the place I planned to commit suicide in; and not too long later, here I am enjoying it all. Thanks A.A..

Any other runners?
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to But We Aren't a Glum Lot ...