Yesterday....Today and Tomorrow

Current topics and news from The Grapevine.

Yesterday....Today and Tomorrow

Postby Karl R » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:35 am

Living in today-one day at a time. A very early(1945) article from the Grapevine on this concept.

Copyright © The AA Grapevine, Inc. (July 1945 vol. 2 no. 2 ). Reprinted with permission.

cheers,
Karl
(Editor's Note: Several readers of The Grapevine have expressed particular appreciation for a short article which appeared in an early issue, and have written to ask about its authorship. The Grapevine editors do not know, and so we reprint the piece which has proved inspiring to many already. Do you know who wrote it?)

YESTERDAY. . .TODAY AND TOMORROW
THERE are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is YESTERDAY with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. YESTERDAY has passed forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back YESTERDAY. We cannot undo a single act we performed; we cannot erase a single word we said. YESTERDAY is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is TOMORROW with its possible adversaries, its burdens, its large promise and poor performance. TOMORROW is also beyond our immediate control.

TOMORROW'S sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds--but it will rise. Until it does, we have no stake in TOMORROW for it is as yet unborn.

This leaves only one day--TODAY--. Any man can fight the battles of just one day. It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities--YESTERDAY and TOMORROW that we break down.

It is not the Experience of TODAY that drives men mad--it is remorse or bitterness for something which happened YESTERDAY and the dread of what TOMORROW may bring.

LET US, THEREFORE, LIVE BUT ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Re: Yesterday....Today and Tomorrow

Postby Veronique1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 am

Amen, Karl,

Amen !

Veronique
Progress, not perfection
Veronique1
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Jdpasino » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:32 am

I think this is something we all need to remember every day.
Jdpasino
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:20 am

Jdpasino wrote:I think this is something we all need to remember every day.

I totally agree.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jacquelyn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:54 pm

So we'll said.
Jacquelyn
Forums Newcomer

Postby D'oh » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:05 pm

This Came up at tonight's meeting,

Yep I asked for help for the day, this morning and so far so good today. I must remeber to thank him for his help tonight.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby clouds » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:26 pm

I do that too!

One day at a time has been an important stress reducer for me. Sometimes stuff can get to be too much, like noise, activities, rsponsibilities. If I forget past and present, meditate on now, usually the 'noise' minimizes, or stops, and my allignment with the steps comes to mind, like maybe I need to spot check inventory, I can remember to do the best I can in any situation and leqve the results to God. Maybe my ego was running the show again and so I notice that and can let go of that control and roll with reality, trusting God to do the work. So the idea of one day at a time, even one hour at a time, or even just right now ..... we relax, and we don't struggle
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby katherine7 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:34 pm

Karl R wrote:Living in today-one day at a time. A very early(1945) article from the Grapevine on this concept.

Copyright © The AA Grapevine, Inc. (July 1945 vol. 2 no. 2 ). Reprinted with permission.

cheers,
Karl
(Editor's Note: Several readers of The Grapevine have expressed particular appreciation for a short article which appeared in an early issue, and have written to ask about its authorship. The Grapevine editors do not know, and so we reprint the piece which has proved inspiring to many already. Do you know who wrote it?)

YESTERDAY. . .TODAY AND TOMORROW
THERE are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is YESTERDAY with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. YESTERDAY has passed forever beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back YESTERDAY. We cannot undo a single act we performed; we cannot erase a single word we said. YESTERDAY is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is TOMORROW with its possible adversaries, its burdens, its large promise and poor performance. TOMORROW is also beyond our immediate control.

TOMORROW'S sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds--but it will rise. Until it does, we have no stake in TOMORROW for it is as yet unborn.

This leaves only one day--TODAY--. Any man can fight the battles of just one day. It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities--YESTERDAY and TOMORROW that we break down.

It is not the Experience of TODAY that drives men mad--it is remorse or bitterness for something which happened YESTERDAY and the dread of what TOMORROW may bring.

LET US, THEREFORE, LIVE BUT ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Amen...
I do this every day and I don't forget that.
katherine7
Forums Enthusiast

Return to The Grapevine Magazine