Faith-Bridge to Shore

Current topics and news from The Grapevine.

Faith-Bridge to Shore

Postby Karl R » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:59 am

Belief-then faith-then a step from Bridge to shore.

Copyright © The AA Grapevine, Inc. (July 2006 vol. 63 no. 2 ). Reprinted with permission.

cheers,
Karl
I thought I knew all about God--I am the son of a minister. My parents and Sunday school teachers taught me that God was loving and all-powerful. I also heard that he was a judging God, and that's what I remembered. But, after reading "Bill's Story" in the Big Book, I learned that I could choose the God of my understanding. I learned in AA that I could have a one-on-one relationship with God.

The Third Step, however, was difficult. Although I had knowledge, I had lost faith, and faith is the spiritual principle behind Step Three. I was told, "All you have to do is make a decision." (Easy for them to say.) My sponsor told me to pray using the Third Step Prayer twice a day and to read the chapter "We Agnostics." So I prayed daily and read the chapter several times.

In that chapter, I learned that I was suffering from an illness that only a spiritual experience would conquer, and that lack of power was my dilemma. When I read about another minister's son, in "We Agnostics," I understood: "He stood in the Presence of Infinite Power and Love. He had stepped from bridge to shore. For the first time, he lived in constant contact with his Creator."

I remembered what I was taught as a child--that God is all-powerful and loving. Only then could I step from the bridge of reason to the desired shore of faith. It was a journey that began inside my head and ended within my heart.

Larry L.
Fayetteville, Georgia

Return to The Grapevine Magazine