Do you know why AA never gives anyone up?

Current topics and news from The Grapevine.

Do you know why AA never gives anyone up?

Postby Karl R » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:44 pm

I have never heard of A.A. giving anyone up as an impossible case, and if the individual confronted with such a dilemma can marshal even the barest physical energy to attend the meetings regularly and to keep trying within the limits of his capabilities to follow the A.A. program, he will progress. The time element is relatively unimportant--whether it be six months, two years or more before he achieves adequate stability--for we all realize what the alternative must be.

Copyright © The AA Grapevine, Inc. (February 1945 vol 1 no 9 ). Reprinted with permission.

From the Grapevine digital archives.....

this little editorial speaks about not giving up on anyone....with two provisos....1. that they keep coming back and 2. that they follow the AA program within the limits of their capabilities.

thoughts anyone?

the full article below.

cheers,
Karl
I'll have to take a bit of a short cut and identify myself briefly as a social-drinking, Turkish-bath, take-the-pledge, call-the-doctor, general-hospital, health-farm, leave-of-absence, job-losing, long-vacation-in-Florida-will-fix-me-up, sanitarium, mental-hospital alcoholic, in the order named. When A.A. was first presented to me I felt that here at last was the answer. I couldn't get enough of it fast enough. I read the book, attended several meetings, met many of the group, and lived A.A. so vigorously the first two weeks that in that short time I knew all the answers, got "cured" --and then got drunk. The group picked me up and explained that in my initial elation I had become over-confident, that there was much solid groundwork to be laid, and that an entire pattern of thinking and living had to be changed. Furthermore, it might not be easy and the time might be long before I was able to rehabilitate myself both socially and economically. The first year was tough going and I suffered five or six slips of increasing intensity, until I reached the point where I felt that for me there was no help. I about gave up, but the group did not, and in some way its faith was transmitted to me. I started in once more, attending meetings regularly, gradually making real progress; and I went some nine or ten months before I crash-dived again into Bellevue. This was surely the end, for it came the very week I was being called to an interview for an excellent position, doing the type of work that I had long wanted. In some way I pulled myself together, got the job and started off again, only to run into trouble once more about ten months later. Then I seemed to slip back considerably. During the next six months I bounced around erratically, but managed by virtue of an understanding boss to hold my job. Somehow, once more I pulled out of the maelstrom, and for the past year-and-a-half have been completely dry.

I mention this brief background to make one point. There are many in A.A. whose recovery is apparently immediate, who after being in A.A. only a short time find complete release from their problem. However, there are as many more who just as sincerely desire to be free of alcohol but find themselves confronted with slip after slip and increasing discouragement. They doubt their own ability to be honest with themselves, and the situation looks pretty hopeless to them and to others as well. I have never heard of A.A. giving anyone up as an impossible case, and if the individual confronted with such a dilemma can marshal even the barest physical energy to attend the meetings regularly and to keep trying within the limits of his capabilities to follow the A.A. program, he will progress. The time element is relatively unimportant--whether it be six months, two years or more before he achieves adequate stability--for we all realize what the alternative must be.

Jack C.

Re: Do you know why AA never gives anyone up?

Postby Tommy-S » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:23 am

There are many in A.A. whose recovery is apparently immediate, who after being in A.A. only a short time find complete release from their problem. However, there are as many more who just as sincerely desire to be free of alcohol but find themselves confronted with slip after slip and increasing discouragement. They doubt their own ability to be honest with themselves, and the situation looks pretty hopeless to them and to others as well.

A good reminder when it comes to others... Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, they will always materialize IF we work for it.

As I have yet to meet an "AA of the Year" awardee, and have never been one myself, it's best to remember how others are working (or not working) the Program is usually None of my Business.

There are No Hopeless cases.

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: Do you know why AA never gives anyone up?

Postby PaigeB » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:13 am

Even in my moment of desperation, I wanted - or it was alcohol that wanted - me to be one of the "hopeless" ones so I could keep drinking. Funny thing is, it wasn't recovery from alcohol that I thought was impossible, it was my idea about the religion in the program I thought would keep me outside the doors - I mean I thought you all would throw me out on my heathen hiney!

No excuses were allowed, no exceptions to the open door policy. I remain amazed at the community's willingness to put up with me after all these years! :P
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to The Grapevine Magazine