Grapevine Weekly Reading 9/26/16

Current topics and news from The Grapevine.

Grapevine Weekly Reading 9/26/16

Postby Thumper » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:43 am

Hi everyone. Dale here; an alcoholic and your Grapevine Representative. One benefit of having a Grapevine subscription is access to exclusive stories. As a reminder, our September contest for a free subscription is still going on. You can find the entry form here: http://www.e-aa.org/form_gv.php. PLEASE ENTER NOW!!

Also, wouldn’t be awesome to have an e-AA member’s story published? You can be next. Just connect with them here http://www.aagrapevine.org/share

The Grapevine is approved AA and e-AA literature. It is copyrighted by Grapevine Inc. and is reprinted with permission.

This one hit me because I am in another country without F2F opinions. I tried white knuckling it. No fun.

Dale B.
===========================================================================================================================

Pregnant and far from home, a woman finds a meeting after four months of white-knuckling it, and discovers that experience, strength and hope transcend gender and language

Fifteen years of not having a drink, not because of me, but because of the grace of a Higher Power.

Fifteen years ago, I was hopeless, confused, and desperate.

I was also pregnant in a foreign country where I didn't know the language.

Unlike some people, I didn't come to AA because I lost a family, a house, and the dog. Rather, I came to AA after I had four months of not drinking.

I was white knuckling it. Being dry was worse than any of my drinking escapades and I never want to go back there.

I went to my first meeting. It was five guys and me. My initial thought was that I have nothing in common with these people, since they were all men in a foreign country who had no idea what it was like to be a pregnant woman not drinking.

But the truth was this: They knew my story. I didn't have to say a single word. That night, 15 years ago, they all shared their experience, strength, and hope with me. I may have gone into the room on my knees, but after the very first meeting, I had hope—hope that I was going to be all right.

I'm back in the States now and recently ran into a gentleman who was at my very first AA meeting, in the country visiting his daughter. All these years later, I instantly recognized him. My Higher Power was working through him and all those other men at my first meeting. What a gift to be sober.

Kelly P., Falls Church, Va.
Thumper
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Grapevine Weekly Reading 9/26/16

Postby PuppyEars » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:31 pm

I may have gone into the room on my knees

white knuckling

pregnant

Hi Dale. I am curious how hearing stories fills one with hope to sober up. The only thing I remember about stories is usually my head saying "when is it my turn to share". Even in sobriety. :(
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Re: Grapevine Weekly Reading 9/26/16

Postby Brock » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:40 pm

I am curious how hearing stories fills one with hope to sober up.

Maybe these five members were the type we need more of in AA, instead of giving drinking stories she said they actually shared their experience strength and hope with her. The book says speak of what we were like, what happened and what we are like now, but too many go on at length about how much they drank, and if you are lucky they might mention they came to AA and are OK now. I believe the more we can encourage people to give equal speaking time to how the program changed their lives, the more hope new people might leave meetings with.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Return to The Grapevine Magazine