Woohoo

Current topics and news from The Grapevine.

Woohoo

Postby PaigeB » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:47 am

OMG OMG OMG! MY STORY IS IN THE GRAPEVINE THIS MONTH!
oh boy!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Woohoo

Postby Thumper » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:15 pm

Congrats Paige. Whether me bugging the GV Operations Manager helped, who knows. As GVR, I will take at least partial credit because it happened on my watch. e-AA should celebrate. This is about the only statistic that the GV tracks. Stories submitted, stories published.

If anyone else wants to know about how to go about the process, lemmi know.

Dale B.
Thumper
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Roman James » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:23 pm

Congratulations Paige! I'd like to read it. How/where can I get a copy?
Roman James
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:09 pm

Thumper posted it over in another GV thread - here it is.

Paige B. is an active e-AA member. I am so proud to post her story here as published in the October issue of the Grapevine.

Ceased Fighting
She connected to the power in the rooms, and with her sponsor’s help, she learned to take off the gloves

The Second Step was vital in my spiritual journey. I’ve been hearing a lot about it recently and am pleased to find I’m not as unique as I thought. I am an atheist and not on my way to belief. The Big Book says “God is everything or else He is nothing.” I chose the latter and got on with working the program.

I worked Step One prior to getting a sponsor and went back over it when I found one. Her first question was, “How do you feel about alcoholism as a disease?” I answered, “It could not be anything except a disease.” We moved on, reading every word of the Big Book and talking about recovery and actions. We talked about Step Two and about AA. She was satisfied that I had found a power greater than myself using Alcoholics Anonymous.

I knew almost at once that AA could restore me to sanity. Look at all of the examples of it! I mean, I did not believe in any kind of god and yet there you all were: happier than any group of people I had ever met, and obviously no longer slaves to alcohol. You must have the answer somewhere. I was told that if I wanted what you had, I needed to do what you did. Maybe not having an intervening HP made me listen more closely or gave me more willingness to act.

In Chapter Three are the words that gave me release from the obsession to drink: “We had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics.” I had a disease and AA was a solution that was helping countless alcoholics live a normal, sane life.

The Ninth Step Promises have come true for me: I began to know “a new freedom and a new happiness ... intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.” I began to believe that my darkest day would be an asset to help another woman find a way to live comfortably in her own skin without alcohol.

Once a person online made a comment about how I was pretty high-minded to think I was doing it by myself. Being pretty new myself, I flew back a response I won’t repeat here. My sponsor flinched when I told her about my retaliation. She said I had to cease fighting everyone and everything, like it says in the Big Book. She also showed me that the book also says, “Love and tolerance of others is our code.” Be it a secret code or a code written as law, I knew I had to love.

My sponsor is a treasure. She is a school art teacher, which may explain her patience. But the truth is, I don’t think she ever set herself up with any expectation that I would change my thinking. When I got to Step Five, I asked her, “How do I admit to ‘god’?” She told me she would handle that part for me. Again, it was back to the business of the program. I came here to get sober and I got a lot more than I expected to get, and I did it without having to compromise my belief system. Our founders were truly inspired.

Paige B., Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks Paige. A Great Share! and Congrats!

I recall the exact same feelings.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Thanks D'oh!
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:03 am

Pretty cool deal having your story available for the world to read and find hope.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:28 am

Paige, I like how your sponsor responded to you.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:02 am

:D
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby whipping post » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Awesome Paige! That's sure to be inspirational for those of us who came in without the traditional concept of a higher power. Thank you for all you do.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:11 pm

I loved reading your ESH, Paige. Great share!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roman James » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Thanks for sharing that Paige.
Roman James
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:59 am

I figured more people would at least give a thumbs up to your story on this page-Paige. I am not trying to stroke your ego here except you put the time in to tell your story and it was picked and that is really cool. A piece of your past and part of the legacy is put into history of sorts.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:27 am

Wow I didn't think of that... history. It is rather humbling really.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Reborn » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks for sharing Paige...this is awesome!
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Next

Return to The Grapevine Magazine