Weekly Grapevine Readings

Current topics and news from The Grapevine.

Re: Weekly Grapevine Readings

Postby PaigeB » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Thumper - we ABSOLUTELY wish to keep receiving these stories of other alcoholics. If Someone doesn't like it They can pass by the thread.

No one will suffer or die unless the HP so wills it.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Jeez, I am not sure why everybody is so worked up? if you don't want anybody to offer comments, why don't you all just post the story and just shut if off/lock it up? This is a open forum. Why can't we share our thoughts? Why should people have to cross talk?

Edit: I do want to add. There are some who believe that an alcoholic left on his/her own resource, would need the power to tackle the peculiar mental twist, otherwise will drink. Perhaps some don't believe in it or not have experience with what we are talking about.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:35 pm

This person didn't drink - it was an argument based on making a point - that is all. It is rude and unnecessary, perhaps harmful to the newcomer.

We get through this in god's time - not a timetable in the book. Even "vigorously commenced" does not depict a time frame, it is WHAT we do when we get to the Step.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:38 pm

This person didn't drink - it was an argument based on making a point - that is all. It is rude and unnecessary, perhaps harmful to the newcomer.

Harmful to the newcomer? How come? We are here to educate the newcomers right? We need to tell them there are various degrees of infliction. Read the last few sentences under the preface. The whole fellowship is here to support them, point them in the right direction. And help them draw their own conclusion.

Not drinking is not recovery. Its just a beginning. We don't even know what the mental state of this person was. We really can't tell. There is absolutely nothing wrong in highlighting it. Maybe there is a desperate person somewhere lurking this forum and realizes that perhaps he/she needs to work the steps quickly so they can experience the power the book talks about. If you are powerless what you do you look for power right? Why would we allow them to struggle? Isn't our responsibility to point them in the right direction?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:31 am

Brock you were first and fast to argue with the reading itself.

I have left this for a while, to try and see if I could wrap my head around the instruction I was given - “Spout off somewhere else.” But really I don't see how someone reading a story, then stating that the persons sponsor didn't do their job as the book suggests, is arguing with the reading, it's not arguing it's stating an opinion.

Yes I made a point, that in my opinion the sponsor did not go about the task of sponsorship as they should, and anyone reading the story and disagreeing with that, is reading a different book from the one I have.

And then all was quiet for a day, the discussion seemed to have ended, there was no argument. Until someone comes along and asks why did you say this? how is it helpful? can't you see experience is better? if that is not rocking the boat and looking to argue I don't know what is, and yet I am the one blamed for the argument and told to spout off somewhere else.

The comment about what was said perhaps being harmful to newcomers, as avaneesh points out has no basis, to not point out things like that I believe is far more harmful.
If Someone doesn't like it They can pass by the thread.

I agree with this.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:25 am

I have left this for a while, to try and see if I could wrap my head around the instruction I was given - “Spout off somewhere else.” But really I don't see how someone reading a story, then stating that the persons sponsor didn't do their job as the book suggests, is arguing with the reading, it's not arguing it's stating an opinion.

Anything different from what their understanding or approach is considered argument here. And then personal interpretation of what we say. When we emphasize working of the 12 steps to be primary part of recovery they conclude that we are bashing the meetings. Its so insane. I don't usually quote the 12 & 12 but there are some great truths in that book too. There is part where with the advent of world war II people were concerned if recovered alcoholics deployed could stay sober. But most of them came through because of reliance on their higher power. I don't know somewhere the original message got lost.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PuppyEars » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:39 am

Until someone comes along and asks why did you say this? how is it helpful? can't you see experience is better? if that is not rocking the boat and looking to argue I don't know what is

BECAUSE ONLY BROCK DESERVES THE LAST AND FINAL WORD. WE ARE ALL MERELY PIONS RIDING ON THE COAT TAILS OF THIS SPIRITUAL GIANT. HOW DARE US HAVE A VOICE
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:11 am

NO! IT'S BECAUSE THE FORUM GUIDELINES CLEARLY SAY “AVOID CRITIQUING THE SHARES OF OTHERS.”
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Duke » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:23 am

Greetings all. The other moderators may change my mind, but for now I'm locking this topic since it has degenerated to bickering.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Karl R » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:15 am

Thank you Duke for giving us a brief time out. The team has now, once again, decided to unlock this thread. Please remember to practice (discuss) principles rather than personalities. All caps=shouting on the internet. Would you really shout in a f2f meeting? As my current sponsor tells me: "give everyone the right to be wrong". :-)

Carry on. Be Kind.

regards,
Karl-forums coordinator.
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby Thumper » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Happy dance Karl. Thanks for opening the door again. Discussions on the story should be open and continue.
Thumper
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Reborn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:38 pm

I know this is a few days old but I feel compelled to comment. I'm sure we can all agree that being stuck on step 3 for a year is not a good idea. The fact that Brock saw this in the original post and pointed it out is a GOOD thing. From what I see people are going against this not because being stuck on step 3 is a good idea...but because he mentioned it. The information Brock posted is in accordance with what the Big Book says...so it is my opinion that this is not so much what he posted but the fact that HE posted it. Just my observation.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks for sharing Reborn.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Roman James » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:41 am

I am a newcomer here, and I appreciate this forum for a few reasons. One of which is the differing opinions. The bickering doesn't bother me, it shows me that you people have a passion for sobriety, and care about the welfare of the newbie in search of a sober/sane life.

I have just finished reading 12 and 12 cover to cover. Now I plan to start working the steps to the best of my ability. With only 45 days of sobriety, I realize that my opinion really means nothing. For the most part I don't know enough about the program to have a valid opinion.

Now having said that I will offer my point of view as a newcomer: I don't see how you can linger on the first 3 steps for a year. They seem to me, to be about acceptance and decision making. Things I have already made up my mind about, or I wouldn't be in the program. Once getting started, I could find myself totally wrong about this. However, I do expect to spend a lot of time on step 4.

So I just want to say, as a newbie, I appreciate the opinions of everyone here because I have so much to learn and so many questions to ask. Thanks for letting me share this.
Roman James
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:43 am

You can linger on the first 3 step if you are chasing a boy instead.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

PreviousNext

Return to The Grapevine Magazine