grapevine

Current topics and news from The Grapevine.

grapevine

Postby rosco » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:20 am

i've wondered if i'm the only one to think the publication is a complete joke and ridiculous thing to keep up.

i'm only interested in those that feel this way and hope those who like the publication to peruse other threads and not babble incoherent temper tantrums in this one.
rosco
Forums Enthusiast

Re: grapevine

Postby ann2 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Hey pal, this is a discussion forum, not an "agree with me or I consider you a babbling idiot" forum.

Go start your own bulletin board if you want editorial rights. The e-aa online group is here to perform its 5th tradition responsibility and in my service as its currently elected coordinator I invite all and sundry to post whatever they wish to share about this topic or any other topic here.

I was living on the Åland Islands in Finland, an American ex-pat, when a caring group member I hardly understood handed me a copy of the Grapevine. I loved my group but it was awfully nice to read shares I could understand. Plus I loved the step discussions as I was finally going through with the steps as written in the Big Book.

Our group gives away a subscription monthly so we think it's worth something at least.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:24 pm

One of the things that my homegroup does is to sponsor a subscription of the Grapevine to a women's treatment center. Not ALL of the women in my group think that the Grapevine is "all that". Some even hold negative views. Some have extreme views on the business end of this separately incorporated service.

Still, the group conscience was to offer this service. We never know what will help the still suffering. Maybe something will click and a life will be saved.

I am a District Public Information Chair in my f2f community. ANY format to reach the still suffering is a good tool.

Thanks Ann for standing firm on the Traditions. Unity above all.

By the way, e-aa was in a Grapevine article sometime within the last 4 years... I wish I could remember the date for you.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby chefchip » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:03 pm

rosco wrote:i'm only interested in those that feel this way....

I pray that those words never escape my lips, no matter what the subject. As for the Grapevine, I find it like everything (and everyone) else in life -- it has its good points, it has its bad points. I can take or leave what I often read within its covers, but it always makes me think and challenge myself. That, by itself, is a noble mission.
The only constant in life is change.
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Postby rosco » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:22 pm

ann2 wrote:Hey pal, this is a discussion forum, not an "agree with me or I consider you a babbling idiot" forum.

Go start your own bulletin board if you want editorial rights. The e-aa online group is here to perform its 5th tradition responsibility and in my service as its currently elected coordinator I invite all and sundry to post whatever they wish to share about this topic or any other topic here.

I was living on the Åland Islands in Finland, an American ex-pat, when a caring group member I hardly understood handed me a copy of the Grapevine. I loved my group but it was awfully nice to read shares I could understand. Plus I loved the step discussions as I was finally going through with the steps as written in the Big Book.

Our group gives away a subscription monthly so we think it's worth something at least.

Ann

i believe you have some anger issues to work out. several on this forum seem to have the same problem of posing to help others but use it as an opportunity to attack and wonder why they don't feel better. i believe your first email to me said you were "looking for a reason to pm me." you were looking for a reason to pick a fight. you might want to try alanon along with AA.

and paige, what unity is found in an attack on one's opinion?

what is the purpose both you take when you log on? i have not run into this type of anger in anyone at an AA meeting except those few who are wholy and completely (tolerated) ignored by others.

Bill started the grapevine as a way to continue writing and communicating his thoughts after coming up with the cookbook for a spiritual conscious contact. after he died, it continued. something things sound good, like acceptance, but it was not mentioned to be applied to anything but things within us. it is not mentioned to fix things outside of us. anyhow, i think these articles by drunks can only confound our true purpose and that is better doing the program written in the cookbook (164pp). unity in a direction other than each of us working the 12 steps is a step into complete anhilation of unity.

for example. if a bunch of people, as the one above who referred to me as an idiot, all decided to change the singleness of purpose to include addictions AA would fall away into history. Chris R. said he also feels this to be the case. if open discussions, sharing of one's ideas, rather than forcing ourselves to incorporate the words in the book from the book, AA is a goner.

man, some people may want to consider having a few dog toys around to ganw on and back off on attacking others.

if somone can survive on the grapevine alone, i'd question whether they were truly chronic alcoholic. send out small big books. instead of having meetings about them, do the program at a shelter or hosiptal. "be the buddha," don't preach and worship his words. these are my feelings. now remember you two, we tolerate others and have ceased fighting anything or anyone. love and tolerance of others is our code. be nice :wink:
rosco
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:14 am

Um, who called who an idiot?
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Thu May 01, 2014 2:51 am

Hello

In all the time I have been sober, I have yet to hear of anyone being 'forced' to read or subscribe to the Grapevine, or any of our literature... If one doesn't like it, I'd wonder why they read it.

The answer from my experience, is that for the longest time I delighted in picking apart what was wrong with everyone and everything else... a cheap way to feel superior by tearing things down.

Changing that defect takes work on ME, something I am not always up to doing.

And allowing others to use whatever works for them, especially if it is not to my liking, seems to take even more effort.

I'm probably just an idiot though... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Return to The Grapevine Magazine