"Are You A Recovering Alcoholic?" Grapevine, Oct 83

Current topics and news from The Grapevine.

"Are You A Recovering Alcoholic?" Grapevine, Oct 83

Postby Tommy-S » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 pm

20 Questions That Only You Can Answer _ Are You A Recovering Alcoholic?

To find out, ask yourself the following questions, and answer them as honestly as you can.

YES-NO

1. Do you find more time for work these days?

2. Has your home life become happier?

3. Do you find that you are less shy with other people?

4. Is the fact that you are not now drinking affecting your reputation positively?

5. Are you waking up in the morning without guilt and remorse?

6. Are your financial difficulties becoming easier to manage?

7. Do you turn to sober companions and a superior environment?

8. Are you now more concerned with your family's welfare?

9. Has your ambition increased?

10. Do you have a craving to pray and meditate at a definite time daily?

11. Do you feel gratitude when you wake up in the morning?

12. Do you sleep better?

13. Is your efficiency increasing?

14. Is not-drinking affecting you positively in your job or business?

15. Do you deal with your troubles and worries head-on?

16. Do you find it easier to live with yourself?

17. Is your memory improving?

18. Has your doctor recently commented on improvement in your health?

19. Is your self-confidence increasing?

20. Have you ever been asked to share your story with others?

If you have answered YES to one of the above questions, you just may be a recovering alcoholic.
If you have answered YES to two, it is probable that you are a recovering alcoholic.
If you have answered YES to three or more, you are definitely a recovering alcoholic. (AA GRAPEVINE, October 1983)
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: "Are You A Recovering Alcoholic?" Grapevine, Oct 83

Postby PaigeB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:20 am

Interesting topic Tommy. I may be reaching with where my brain went...

I answered yes to many of the questions and was only mildly confused by a couple like: Has your ambition increased? Ink blot anyone? I had to take the MMPI once and had trouble with: Do you like fire? :lol:

So yeah, I am probably a recovering alcoholic. Or am I recovered alcoholic... maybe an alcoholic in remission?

I had this conversation with my sponsor early on as I noticed people "identified" in various ways like "I have alcoholism" or "very grateful recovering alcoholic" & "blackout drunk". Some did an entire sentence: Alcoholic, sober today through the grace of God, the actions in this program and sponsorship since January 3 1934... to which the some in the room responded "yea". :?

I wanted to have the talk with her because I wanted to add a nifty little description to MY identification. BAM! Here we go again on my trumped up ego. Why would I want to separate myself? Was I above the newcomer or better than a black out drunk? Who gets to say if I am recovering or recovered? There is a place in the early pages of the Big Book that says we ARE indeed recovered. So why not say that... oh fear that you may drink again if you get too haughty? :lol:

Yeah, so I settled for "Hi. I'm Paige and I'm an alcoholic." With online AA I like to add from Iowa. I only give my sobriety date if I am sharing my story at a speaker meeting and then I keep it short, thanking AA only.

How do you identify?
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Tommy-S » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks Paige,

Entirely too much thinking...My head hurt just reading the response... :lol:

I am a 'Grateful Alcoholic'. Grateful I finally know what my problem is... Alcohol. Grateful I know the Solution... AA. Grateful I find the Power... With others like myself.

Besides, I am just 'too pretty' to go to Prison :D
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby becksdad » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:29 am

I usually just say "My name is Ed, and I am an alcoholic"

Sometimes I reverse it and say "I am an alcoholic, my name is Ed".

The only reason I identify as an alcoholic first instead of my name is to remind myself of the order of importance.

Thanks,

Alcoholic named Ed :D
becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Postby ann2 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

PaigeB wrote:How do you identify?

I'm an alcoholic who likes fire? :lol:

good topic, actually -- when i first got to AA I followed a lot of examples of "I'm so-and-so and I'm an addict and an alcoholic" and continued to do that for 16 years until I came to e-AA where I was lovingly called on it. so I started with the I'm an alcoholic because I was here in an AA group and their group conscience felt strongly that we are here together as alcoholics. That was fine with me. Then as I stayed and learned from them, and started retracing my journey in the steps, I got to know more about what an alcoholic is and to my astonishment I found out that I AM an alcoholic :lol:

As to the rest of the stuff, man, my head hurts trying to be clever. I'm just so happy to know I'm an alcoholic and grateful to be among my own.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby THE FAT MAN » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi my name is Paul and iv been dry for 3 months now.I made a mental decision to quit as not only was my family life getting messed up.But so was university as well .Im happy that i become sober and can sleep better at night now .I still go down the drinks dept but the taste for alcohol has gone.I acknowledged that im a recovering alcoholic and dont hide the fact . After drinking for almost 30 years its good to have a life back .
THE FAT MAN
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:06 am

Welcome!Great to have you here! Congrats on 3 months!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to The Grapevine Magazine