finding the perfect story

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

finding the perfect story

Postby 120808 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:30 am

Hi all,

There is a young guy who has been dry for a while, but has a prejudice against programs. He has a picture of stereotypes and says he can't relate to anyone. He is an art student surrounded by artists who use. I'm looking for a good story about a young artist. There are plenty of stories about young people and plenty of stories about artists in the Big Book and other literature. However, I am looking for a character he might relate to because he is comparing rather than identifying. Can anyone point me to a story that meets that criteria in any of the books or Grapevines out there?
Forums Enthusiast

Re: finding the perfect story

Postby PaigeB » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:09 am

We try to look for the similarities rather than the differences. I rarely ask what others do for a living or what they enjoy in their outside pass-times. I struggled when I came in mostly due to the god issue. Chapter 6 says "Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer." With a little semantics this can be used for anything - be quick to see where these bankers are right.

I never rarely leave a meeting feeling worse than I did when I walked in. I hope your friend keeps trying. This disease manifests in some very common ways - no matter if you are a young man or an old woman.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Belle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:45 pm

I have the perfect story! It's mine. I'm a 19 year old sober artist who came into the program with the same concerns.

If your still interested I am happy to share my story.

Belle
Belle
Forums Newcomer

Postby kenyal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 pm

You're right, there are a lot of young artist-who-got-sober stories out there. If your friend is not drinking right now then I'd suggest letting him remain on the path he's on. Should the need for an answer arise in the future he may find himself more open-minded and less special than right now. Most alcoholics I've known have often quit for different periods of time before getting sober. Your friend is yet another.

When I came in the person in my homegroup I most identified with was a female sculptor and painter, none of which am I. We shared almost identical errors in thinking while drinking, and I could hear her when she spoke about those things. A fellow about my age who was also in my industry registered very little when he spoke. If I were to have felt it was important somehow back then to find my clone in AA I would have missed a lot. Maybe I would have missed the answer to my problem.
kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Postby ann2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Yeah, I would go with the apparent opposite, a butcher, a baker, a post office worker. Let the character be drawn to the sobriety, not the use he puts it to.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:28 am

Belle wrote:I have the perfect story! It's mine. I'm a 19 year old sober artist who came into the program with the same concerns.

If your still interested I am happy to share my story.

Belle

Belle, I would love to hear your story. Please feel free to share it here or pm me --

Thanks!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)