Hey there young folk! Im 18 and 50 dayz sobre want some...

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Hey there young folk! Im 18 and 50 dayz sobre want some...

Postby Erikfromthebay » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Hello there, this is my second stint in recovery and ive been truckin along just fine except for a few things. Now im on my 8th step, got great friends in recovery, but one things been picking my brain. Now i must say, that alcohol isnt my only substance i was using. Heavy into narcotics as well, but my disease(alcoholism/drug addiction) keeps telling me.."oh you havent even turned 21 yet, what about social drinking!?". But ive ran my life into the ground several times, winding up in oakland doing lord knows what...Any suggestions on what to do about the little voice in my head? Thank you much appreciated, and i hope i didnt offend anyone with the mention of substance abuse, AA is such a strong program, and believe me im an alcoholic!
Erikfromthebay
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hey there young folk! Im 18 and 50 dayz sobre want some.

Postby PaigeB » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:17 am

HI Erik! Welcome! I always quiet that voice in my head with service to others. Even if it is just doing the dishes at home. They need you as much as you need them! Ask your sponsor, or a home group member how YOU can get your hands busy, then your mind will be where your hands are! Also, call some guys from your f2f meetings.

Keep coming back! This thing works for me & I hope it does for you too!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Layne » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:40 am

The term social drinking was definitely an oxymoron for me. My drinking was everything but social. Sociopath drinking was more like it.

That little voice is always in my head too, but I don't have to make my decisions based on its input. It has given me some pretty crappy advice in the past. I get better input from my experience and my heart. The little voice is what it is....little.

The more I listen to my own ESH, the littler the voice becomes. It is just background noise now.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:06 am

Erikfromthebay wrote:... my disease (alcoholism/drug addiction) keeps telling me.."oh you havent even turned 21 yet, what about social drinking!?". But ive ran my life into the ground several times ...

There are three ways that can be resolved:

1) Today's fellowship with others becomes so satisfactory that those thoughts get completely lost behind you;
2) Your inventory ultimately reveals you really had done things your own way for just as long as you could possibly stand it even before reaching 21;
3) Try a little social drinking ...

"... Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take long for you to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition." ("A.A.", the book, pages 31-32)
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby cassie27 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:48 pm

Hey Erik,
My name's Cassie and I'm 21 and have been drinking since I was 15. My life was falling apart but when I turned 21 I thought "I can't quit now! I'm legal now!" But my birthday was in March, and ever since then I've had so many black out moments and crappy things happen as a result of drinking that finally I'm starting to realize its not worth it. I want to be present and aware of what I'm doing in social situations, not regretting what I said or did the next morning. Stay strong. I have that voice in my head too. But going on here is surely going to help :)

-Cassie
cassie27
Forums Newcomer

Postby Marc L » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:07 pm

Layne wrote:The term social drinking was definitely an oxymoron for me. My drinking was everything but social. Sociopath drinking was more like it.

That little voice is always in my head too, but I don't have to make my decisions based on its input. It has given me some pretty crappy advice in the past. I get better input from my experience and my heart. The little voice is what it is....little.

The more I listen to my own ESH, the littler the voice becomes. It is just background noise now.

Hi Layne;
I can identify with some of that.
My drinking was usually excessive(Powerlessness) and often into oblivion(BlackOut). :D
Killing people was not part of the equation, though. :lol:

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:08 am

cassie27 wrote:I want to be present and aware of what I'm doing in social situations, not regretting what I said or did the next morning.

Welcome Cassie! Glad you found us.

I'm over 20 years sober and I'm still saying things I regret in social situations, but with AA's steps I can learn and grow from the experience instead of drinking.

We're not perfect, but then nobody is -- the thing i want is to be present in my life, for all the beauty, all the gifts and yes all the pain as well. The steps help me with the awareness, a day at a time . . . :)

Big hugs!

Ann in Sweden
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Merkles » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Hey Erik,
welcome!

I am 19... I got sober when I was 18 however.... it can be done!
It was hard for me to come to terms with having a drinking problem at 18. For us younger generation it seems as though getting completely "shitfaced" every weekend is completely normal, and that this is just a phase of growing up. Well it really isn't. I feel great waking up sober, feeling healthy, remembering what I did and being accountable for my actions. That is one of the greatest gifts of my sobriety and recovery from a "hopeless state of mind and being". I get to have a purpose and I get to be trusted and responsible. It feels good.

Best of luck to you!
Peace & Love
Merkles
Forums Newcomer

Postby wyniea » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:35 pm

you can help the voice in your head by simply talking about the problem to people you trust, people in recovery, get a sponsor. i am 19 an going on five months clean from narcotics it will be five months on august 13th. find activities you enjoy, there is a saying i live by idle time is devel's play, which to me basically means the more free time you have the more that voice will call out to you. find people in recovery you can do things with and you can trust, don't be affraid to tell people you can trust your having trouble and that voice is telling you its okay to have a social drink because it isnt the first drink is the road to distruction. reward youself if you go tio meetings other than online with keytags. tell yourself how bad active drinking or using was for you, think of your worst moment high or drunk, don't fall into permission giving thoughts. do the boring basics if you know what they are and if you dont they are
nutrition
sleep
exercise
journal
relaxation (such as deep breathing)
mediatation aa or na meditation books]
meetings
no access
leisure (do something fun that is not associated with drinking or drugging)
reflections
etc.
these are the tools that help me these are things that with daily practice will help those thoughts also know the HALTS
which are the things that can cause relapse and they are Hunger. Angry, Lonely Tired, these are the most common reasons people relapse. and again dont get into the permission giving thoughts, keep reminding yourself one is two many and a thousands not enough, in time these thoughts will go away you have to remember your still ion early recovery progress will come in time. keep the faith in yourself one day at a time.
wyniea
Forums Newcomer

Postby mjohns451 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:42 am

Hey Erik, my name's Matt and I'm 20 and also going through the same sort of social drinking anxiety at this point. Most of my friends have recently turned 21 and are all about going to bars and personally I feel like its going to be tough to avoid it. Then I remember though that if they're actually my friends they'll hang around me because they like me for who I am always and not who I am after 12 beers.
mjohns451
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:20 am

Hey Erik, my name's Matt and I'm 20 and also going through the same sort of social drinking anxiety at this point.

A great thing about working the 12 steps is, you don't have to feel that way. I know a friend who works as a bar tender. And I know many people working in the restaurant business who have found serenity. They no longer are slave to this obsession. I myself go to various places where booze is served and I have come out with out any issues.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Tommy-S » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Hello & welcome Eric,

Congrats on the 50 days! It's a good question you pose... what does your Sponsor say about it?

Also, glad to see Cassie. Merkles, wineia, & Matt. I started my journey when I was 20, and have never regretted it. It's been the ride of a lifetime :)

Keep coming and sharing. You are the folks who 'replenish the ranks".

Thanks...Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Ida » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:58 pm

I started my dysfunctional love affair with alcohol when I was 13 years old. By the time I got into AA, I had been drinking heavily for almost 15 years. The older you get, the more severe the penalties. Instead of just losing your license, you can lose your freedom; instead of losing your girlfriend or boyfriend, you lose your spouse and children; instead of having to avoid booze at parties, you have to avoid it at restaurants, stores, gas stations, and family gatherings. The younger you are when you quit, the more healthy and fulfilling life can be. The voices also known as "the committee," will lessen their clamor the longer you stay off the sauce. The best way to keep myself from trying figure out how to "drink socially" is by admitting to myself that not only can I not have just one drink, I wouldn't enjoy just one even if I could stop there. As one of the personal accounts in the Big Book states: "When I controlled my drinking I couldn't enjoy it, and when I enjoyed my drinking, I couldn't control it." I may have gotten those backwards, but you get the idea. That was the most important lesson I have learned in recovery. I don't want to have just one and be social. I want to annihilate my senses, and I will never gain the ability to maintain.
Ida
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Jimmy B. » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:20 am

Erikfromthebay wrote:but my disease(alcoholism/drug addiction) keeps telling me.."oh you havent even turned 21 yet, what about social drinking!?".

Erik, I must say I couldn't have said it better myself. My addictive personality inside has blurted the same thing into my ears time and time again. Luckily, once I take some time to detatch myself from the moment temporarily, I am able to turn to my toolbox that was given to me at my first meeting. I say a serenity prayer and work my first step all over again. With time and repetition, it becomes a lot more of a habit to do and soon enough it will become second nature.

It's good to see you here on the forums man, welcome! :)
My AA Birthday: December 6th 2011

Still taking things One Day at a Time.
Jimmy B.
Forums Newcomer

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)