so young.....

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

so young.....

Postby vehicularmanslaughter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:59 pm

i do not hate anyone who is in AA for being in AA.
i hate people who live vicariously through other people, and i hate people who shove their life stories down kids throats and expect them to ACTUALLY get something out of it, other than misunderstood following.

i feel like i'm old enough to understand the feeling of painfully watching young kids make stupid mistakes. but i am also independent minded enough to realize that the whole "been there done that" line is disgustingly overused. everyone should go "there", because once there, DIFFERENT PEOPLE DO DIFFERENT THINGS.

what does someone really know unless theyve experienced it for themselves?

let me know if what i've said makes any sense. let's have a conversation about it.
vehicularmanslaughter
Forums Newcomer

Postby Joe H » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:52 pm

i hate people who live vicariously through other people, and i hate people who shove their life stories down kids throats and expect them to ACTUALLY get something out of it...

So if I told you how it was for me, you would take that to mean I am shoving it down your throat? Interesting.

i feel like i'm old enough to understand the feeling of painfully watching young kids make stupid mistakes. but i am also independent minded enough to realize that the whole "been there done that" line is disgustingly overused. everyone should go "there", because once there, DIFFERENT PEOPLE DO DIFFERENT THINGS.

I wonder if you are old enough to understand many young people make stupid mistakes and never get the chance to say "been there done that."

Would you mind answering a question? Why did you choose this particular name?
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby vehicularmanslaughter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:57 pm

So if I told you how it was for me, you would take that to mean I am shoving it down your throat? Interesting.

if i could go to a meeting and hear JUST one story, i would go.

I wonder if you are old enough to understand many young people make stupid mistakes and never get the chance to say "been there done that."

if people didn't die, people couldn't live.

Would you mind answering a question? Why did you choose this particular name?

its the longest name i could think of on the spot...
vehicularmanslaughter
Forums Newcomer

Postby Joe H » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:04 pm

if i could go to a meeting and hear JUST one story, i would go.

Do you have Speakers meetings in your area?

if people didn't die, people couldn't live.

Who is given life when a young person does something stupid and take themself and maybe others out of the gene pool?

its the longest name i could think of on the spot...

HAHA that's cool...and funny. :D
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby vehicularmanslaughter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Joe H wrote:Do you have Speakers meetings in your area?

there are meetings of every flavor and variety around here

Who is given life when a young person does something stupid and take themself and maybe others out of the gene pool?

i can't remember his name right now
but seriously, it's not as direct as you're making it sound
they are given the opportunity to live.
there's a room that can only hold 200 people and there are 200 people in it.
someone is born. where are they supposed to go if no one leaves the room?
vehicularmanslaughter
Forums Newcomer

Postby Joe H » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:26 pm

there are meetings of every flavor and variety around here

What area do you live in? Have you tried a speakers meeting?

they are given the opportunity to live.
there's a room that can only hold 200 people and there are 200 people in it.
someone is born. where are they supposed to go if no one leaves the room?

Well that is not how I see it. My youngest daughter died in my arms when she was nine. Nobody has taken her place in my heart.

Let's say there are two hundred chairs and a full house. I am only concerned about two chairs, one for you and the one beside it for me.

Are you clean and sober tonight? Am I correct in assuming that you are a guy?
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby Karl R » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:28 pm

hey VMS--looking at your first post--you asked if it makes any sense---

Gotta be honest-I didn't get it although I'm ready for a conversation. Since I got sober my daughter and I have lot's of conversations about drinking, consequences, the problem of alcoholism and the solution I came across.

So....you talk about the great "been there done that" and the fact that everyone needs to go there because different people do different things.

So--my question in this conversation is where have you or someone you know been, what was done, and what was the result? Sorry to be so direct. Hope I haven't offended you.

Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby vehicularmanslaughter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Joe H wrote:Well that is not how I see it. My youngest daughter died in my arms when she was nine. Nobody has taken her place in my heart.

the death of a loved one is something unfamiliar to me. i can't imagine losing someone so close. i am as sorry as i know how to be for your loss.

Let's say there are two hundred chairs and a full house. I am only concerned about two chairs, one for you and the one beside it for me.

and why do we get chairs? why not the people who haven't sat down their entire lives?

Are you clean and sober tonight? Am I correct in assuming that you are a guy?

i'm clean and sober at the moment. i am indeed a guy.
vehicularmanslaughter
Forums Newcomer

Postby Joe H » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:00 pm

and why do we get chairs? why not the people who haven't sat down their entire lives?

LMAO because some one did something stupid, they got up and I snatched it. As for the rest, you and I can't save the world...but I can try to help you and you can try to help me.

Good night my friend,

joe
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby vehicularmanslaughter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:07 pm

Joe H wrote:LMAO because some one did something stupid, they got up and I snatched it. As for the rest, you and I can't save the world...but I can try to help you and you can try to help me.

they got up=died i snatched it=i was born
it is natural.
vehicularmanslaughter
Forums Newcomer

Postby Layne » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:09 am

DIFFERENT PEOPLE DO DIFFERENT THINGS.

The people that you feel are trying to shove their story down your throat are just different people from you and are trying an approach that is different from the one that you would use.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby martin08 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:47 am

Here is an interesting concept, VMS, and might be helpful to a man like me:

You have valuable experience that can be a useful tool in helping others.

Would you mind sharing part of your story here so that I might benefit?
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Re: so young.....

Postby masteroftheory » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:08 pm

When I share in a meeting, I am not trying to shove AA down anyones throat. They are supposedly in that meeting to gain experience strength and hope, yes? Well, if I am to be of maximum service to those struggling alcoholics, I need to tell them what is was like, what happened, and what it is like now. I can do that in many ways:

1. I can share my entire story and hope they can relate to some of my challenges, feelings, and successes.

2. I can give them suggestions for their problems and hope they take them.

3. I can just show up and be an example of someone still living the AA program.

The list goes on, and different ways work for different people. I agree, if someone is trying to beat AA into someone, the chances of that person getting the message is very slim. But if you think about it, the chances of ANYONE getting the AA message is very slim. It was by shear LUCK and DIVINE POWER that I was openminded enough to listen to the people in my life and finally do something about my drinking problem. Some people need to have it beaten into them because otherwise they wont get it. Others just need a gentle push to set them on the right path. Criticizing other's ways of carrying that message is just as caustic as telling a newcomer to go get drunk. No one has "The Perfect AA Message". All we have is our experience strength and hope and we can share that in any way we choose. Our job is to plant the seed. Let God water it.
"There are no good of bad choices. There are just the ones you are willing to live with." - Anonymous
masteroftheory
Forums Newcomer

Postby Abraham Lincoln » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey man,

Let's put on the brakes here -- what's driving you to solve this problem?
Abraham Lincoln
Forums Enthusiast

Postby becksdad » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Hopefully the person who originated the topic found some helpful direction and action along the way. We probably won't know, though, since he hasn't been back for almost 4 years now!

Ya never know, though......
becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Next

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)