Feel Like Drinking.

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Feel Like Drinking.

Postby Certes » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:27 pm

This is my first post to this Group. I was in Rehab for Outpatient. I recently left my rehab. Because of insurance and changing counselors. I have been doing great! Until today. I had a very rough day and the tea and cigarettes just don't seem to help right now. How do you guys deal with not drinking I recently passed my one month clean mark!
Certes
Forums Newcomer

Re: Feel Like Drinking.

Postby Spirit Flower » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:49 pm

Go to a meeting. You can find one near you here: http://www.e-aa.org/links/index.php

And read the Big Book, online here: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

What did they teach you in rehab? Do that.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi Certes and welcome.

Congratulations on one month sober!

I struggled with staying sober for almost two years after my first AA meeting. I could get sober and remain sober for 30 days or so on my own or by going to meetings, but I never lasted much longer than that because the craving for alcohol would come back and I had no mental defense that kept me away from that first drink. When I finally did get sober and went back to AA meetings, I finally discovered AA's 24 hour plan and following that plan has allowed me to stay sober and work the program one day a time for quite a few 24 hours now. AA has a pamphlet entitled "This is AA - An introduction to the AA recovery program" which you can read online by clicking on this link:

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-1_thisisaa1.pdf.

Have you been to an AA meeting yet, Certes?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi Certes and welcome.

Congratulations on one month sober! ( I copied Ezdzits but meant the same thing)

1 month though, who would have thought it when the chips were down a month ago. But I have never found the answer in the bottom of a bottle! The closest I have seen is the Receipt, if the bottle was still in the paper bag.

So you go and get drunk for a while, then what? The feelings will still be there, plus some more. What is the answer then another bottle? The answer won't be in that one either.

Put down the Tea, grab the smokes and Get To A Meeting, Make A Phone Call, Read the Big Book, Go for a Walk. Anything is better than the First Drink.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:23 pm

I have been doing great! Until today. I had a very rough day and the tea and cigarettes just don't seem to help right now.

Yes, I would stop for few weeks or even couple of months but always something would come up and I will justify the need to ease myself. And would pick up a drink and then the vicious cycle. We call it internal un-manageability or un-treated alcoholism. Our mind always seeks the sense of ease and comfort that we experience by taking a drink or 2. But then the physical craving kicks in.

If you are alcoholic, you can look at you own history you can easily evaluate yourself. You will see the pattern. The spiritual malady leading to the peculiar mental twist and then the blind spot. The first drink and off to the races.

We have a solution. The 12 steps. Hope you find a good sponsor so you can have a spiritual awakening my friend.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:48 pm

Good morning Certes and welcome to e-aa :D Congratulations on your sobriety :D the first few months are not the easiest but as we work the 12 step program and become more comfortable spiritually it gets easier :D
I found that chocolates and sweets helped me with the physical craving. The sugar seemed to do the trick. What also helped mentally was to change my daily routine - I used to start drinking anytime between 4 and 5 when I started making supper so I changed this routine - after work I would make myself a huge cup of sweet tea, sit on the couch for at least half an hour whilst drinking my tea and watched something relaxing on the tellie and then I would start dinner. I changed my routine everywhere that used to involve a glass in my hand and avoided whatever I could that I used to do with a glass in my hand for at least 3 months - for instance gardening.
So pile up on those sweeties and chocolates and don't worry about calories or putting on weight. I actually lost more than 10 kgs (RSA) and still have a mansize lunchbar almost every day :lol:
Good luck and well done! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Love and Light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:46 am

Certes wrote:This is my first post to this Group. I was in Rehab for Outpatient. I recently left my rehab. Because of insurance and changing counselors. I have been doing great! Until today. I had a very rough day and the tea and cigarettes just don't seem to help right now. How do you guys deal with not drinking I recently passed my one month clean mark!

Remember your last drink and how it got you to rehab. Think it through really good and if that is not where you want to end up again then stop. Count, pray to God, rocks and sand and or whatever has brought you peace in the past and it will pass. One of the things I had to learn was time management and not allowing me to go upstairs to the grey matter between my ears and hash stuff out I had no control over. Rough days are the worst by far and what I can promise is if you stick around and work the program and steps and try the suggestions of others I know these feelings will become far and few between.

In over 26 years I can say I remember clearly 3 such times when I wanted to drink and or the thought just crossed my mind out of the thin air. I thought my drink through and I called my sponsor and we talked and my mind went into a different direction.

Your post is a very good one to reflect on and one I actually keep dear to my heart is I haven't forgotten my last drink.

Have a better day.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby kinjer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:28 pm

I am drinking from my childhood and I understand how it's hard to live with it but I can't beat this desire to drink =sad Never start to drink because it is not a game
Last edited by kinjer on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinjer
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:03 pm

but I can't beat this desire to drink

If you have insurance, you may consider those luxury resort kind of treatment centers. But once the fog gets cleared, you may want to grab a big book and find a sponsor from AA and start working the 12 steps to the best of your ability.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)