Is it college or is it me?

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Is it college or is it me?

Postby as3360 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:24 pm

I am only 21!!!! I am in college. My friends drink a lot. But, I often find myself drinking a lot more than them and sometimes even by myself. I look forward to drinking and am always in a hurry to have my first drink of the night. Addiction runs in my family. I don't really want to admit that it's a problem since I am only 21. I just can't see my life without alcohol in it.
as3360
Forums Newcomer

Re: Is it college or is it me?

Postby Layne » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:11 pm

Sounds all too familiar, that was me in a nutshell. Later on I got to a point were I couldn't imagine life either with or without alcohol. It was an ugly and truly dark place! Luckily I was introduced to AA.

Since working the twelve steps of AA as suggested by the multitudes of people who went before me, today alcohol doesn't even enter my thought processes. It is a non-issue and I am free. I can't begin to tell you how wonderful that is!

Check out a meeting. Get a copy of the big book. Read it. Follow the suggestions. True freedom can be yours.

Congrats on reaching out. You don't have to do this alone nor do you have to feel this way again.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby as3360 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:18 pm

Hearing support from someone who understand means a whole lot. Thanks so much for reaching out. I don't even know where to start. I'm back and forth from wanting help to thinking it isn't a problem. I looked into a bunch of things online, however I don't want my family finding out so I can't put anything on insurance and of course getting help is way too much to afford out of pocket.
as3360
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:51 am

I have to ask you to peel the onion back in layers and really look at the root causes to this situation.
Did you drink and or party prior to attending college? Is the first time you've lived away from home and authority that would question these activities? Do you need to fit in? And what draws you to wanting to drink? Is it location, events, people and the memories the next day?

So how about trying to look for different activities when you aren't in class and or on the weekends and this may sound nerdy and stupid, although it may explain why you are doing what you are doing. You could be the abuser and this does lead to alcoholism or you really are alcoholic and need to get wise and put the plug in the jug.

Some on here may say I am wrong to allow for any barriers except full acknowledgement of being an alcoholic and this is something you have to admit and they will agree on that. I merely want you to use your education and do some critical thinking about your situation and only your situation. I've been clean and sober over 26 years and so I've seen many kinds of people doing all kinds of stuff and so I am not surprised anymore at what people say and do.

Someone has paid for you to attend university and they deserve to see their investment make interest and grow because you will need this education once you are out in the free world!

So have fun and find your barriers and keep them close so you don't forget and lose control.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby krenee » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:07 pm

as3360 wrote:I am only 21!!!! I am in college. My friends drink a lot. But, I often find myself drinking a lot more than them and sometimes even by myself. I look forward to drinking and am always in a hurry to have my first drink of the night. Addiction runs in my family. I don't really want to admit that it's a problem since I am only 21. I just can't see my life without alcohol in it.

This sounds similar to me. Often when people go to college they start drinking more. That's what everyone is doing and there aren't any parents around to stop you from going overboard. I'd recommend joining a club or group that isn't alcohol-based. I was in a sorority in college and let me tell you, that did not help. Alcohol is a huge event in my family but we also have addiction. In the end I've been able to stop and start drinking multiple times in my life when I wanted to. Whether it be a goal of losing a certain amount of weight or just an overall weekly/monthly cleanse. You may be an alcoholic and you may not. I'd suggest you give yourself a month and say that you won't drink. If it's too hard then you might need to seek help. Otherwise, the behavior might just be a lack of good judgement. Hope this helped.
krenee
Forums Newcomer

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)