Too young??

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Too young??

Postby Muffinpie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:34 pm

I'm 21 and in AA, I keep feeling that I am way to young to be in AA, I am the youngest person in all of the meetings that I go to by at least 6 or 7 years I think but most people are at least 20 years older than me, I don't feel like I can really connect with people so much older than me, there aren't any young people meetings in my area
One was too many and a thousand was never enough
Muffinpie
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Too young??

Postby Niagara » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:45 am

Hi Muffin

First, I would like to say that we weren't always 40. Nor did my alcoholism start at that age...indeed, I was around your age when I should have realized I had a problem, but ignorance of alcholism kept me in denial for a lot of years.

If the 12 steps, spiritual growth, and feeling good about yourself (for the first time in my life, for me) appeals to you, don't let the age gap put you off. I wish I had got this sooner. It would have saved me a shed load of pain.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:50 am

Alcoholism is an equal opportunity destroyer. It does not decriminate Young, Old, White, Black, Brown....Rich, Poor. In our area there are several meetings exclusively for young people. I used to be so insipired by their enthusiasm. So different when compared to the other meetings. The sunday morning meetings I feel as though in the midst of zombies. I knew a friend who was just 22 but he had already 8 years under his belt, was very inspiring to hear that, if they can take their recovery seriously, I could do too.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:38 am

I was 21 when I came in, THE FIRST TIME. I remember the 1st step in the 12&12 stating that "Young People scarcely more than Potential Alcoholics" "They were spared the last 10 or 20 years of hell the rest of us went through."

Well I can tell you it gets worse not better if you go back drinking

Start a "Young Persons Group" I was lucky enough to become a part of 1.
Last edited by D'oh on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Db1105 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Welcome, I was introduced to AA at 16 and sobered up one month short of my 18th birthday. That was back in 1977. I started drinking at 12 and by the end I frequently blacking out, numerous arrest, juvie jail, nut house, overdoses and yet I still though that there had to be a way to live life with a little buzz. This alcoholic would of never made it to be an old alike unless I was in jail.

By going to a lot of meetings, I eventually found some people in recovery my own age, Some even younger. I also got to know a lot of the old timers. They accepted me for who I was, Another recovering alcoholic. Of course there were A FEW people saying I was too young, not really an alcoholic, or they spilled more that I drank, but I just ignored them. They were in the minority.

as others suggested, if there are no young peoples meeting start one. Your sponsor can help. Recovery doesn't just happen, it takes a lot of work. 12 steps, meetings, service, and helping the still suffering. it does get better.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby chefchip » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:36 am

Muffinpie wrote:I'm 21 and in AA, I keep feeling that I am way to young to be in AA, I am the youngest person in all of the meetings that I go to by at least 6 or 7 years I think but most people are at least 20 years older than me, I don't feel like I can really connect with people so much older than me, there aren't any young people meetings in my area

My home group is big. By big, I mean that the least number of people I have ever seen in a meeting is 100, and that is considered a very bad day! The meeting has lots of old people like me (I'm 54 :lol: ) and lots of young people (those your age).

The very interesting things is that in this meeting, you see lots of older people who are sponsoring/mentoring younger people. We have one gentleman who is 10 years older than me whose "posse" of sponsees averages 25 in age. I have found that if I think I can't "connect" with someone for any reason, that the problem lies within me. Age is just a number. My sponsor, for example, was the same age as my oldest child.

Sure, I agree that a meeting with more people one's age can be a good thing. But, "good" and "essential" are not the same thing. Just my thoughts.

Be well,
Chip
The only constant in life is change.
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Postby Feeya » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:25 pm

Muffinpie wrote:I'm 21 and in AA, I keep feeling that I am way to young to be in AA, I am the youngest person in all of the meetings that I go to by at least 6 or 7 years I think but most people are at least 20 years older than me, I don't feel like I can really connect with people so much older than me, there aren't any young people meetings in my area

Hi Muffinpie,
I am Feeya, I am an alcoholic and I am 22! I am the youngest at the meetings I go to, and not just by 6 or 7 years but by at least 25. :mrgreen:
AA is not about age, it is not about being 'to young' or 'to old'!
What I tell myself is, that listening to older people talk about their life
a) shows me that they were exactly like me, when they were younger,
b) shows me, where I will end up, if I start drinking again and how much there ks to lose!
and c) it shows me where I can be when I am 50 and do the work that they did!
Someone elses age has nothing to do with my recovery and there is so much to learn from people that are older, and wiser and that have lived and experiences things that I can't even imagine!

I go to a meeting where there is a guy who lived through the second world war, he was a child, but he remembers going to school and being taught all these horrible things that kids in Germany were taught back then!
I obviously can't relate, I can't even imagine what he went through, or what his struggles are, but it does not really matter, because when I hear him talk about his 32 years of recovery, I know I can make it.
If he can, I can! He gives me hope!
And that is a gift that you only get in AA, that you can identify with people that you have nothing in common with, except for your alcoholism.

And that is why we are here!

Best of luck and good twenty four hours!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby craven1995 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:21 pm

hey,
Ive felt a lot like you do, being 20 and by FAR the youngest. I'm still not at all in a good place to give advice about recovery atm, however I have thought about this a lot and have come to some conclusions.
Last year while attending, I struggled a lot with this, and I think it had something to do with me leaving. This time, however, I am seeing it differently. Yes, it is harder to make friends and associate with what is going on with their lives. However, I feel like getting over that feeling of being too young is a part of my recovery. let me explain... I worry that people judge me, eg. I'm not a true alcoholic, and have not reached a "real" rock bottom. That I can't really connect, and that whatever I say is pretty unimportant.
What I am trying to focus on now, is that feeling of inadequacy. I know, myself, the destruction I've caused. I know I am powerless, and that if I continue I will lose all I have left. AA is supportive, regardless of age, race, class ect. If some are not... Well you need to focus on how that affects you!!!! eg - NOT AT ALL. Recovery is about learning what you can control. YOU! If you feel like AAer's are not being supportive, if you can, try other groups - it helped for me. Maybe try to find a smaller group where you will not get lost in the crowd?
Basically, AA is here to teach us respect - for ourselves, and with that comes respect for others.
I know for a fact that there isn't an age too young (relatively anyway I suppose), that I am old enough to be in charge of my own life, and old enough to make and recognise mistakes that have ruined my life, and will escalate if I don't control them now. If you are in AA at this age like me, by the sounds of it, you won't survive to see their age!
I hope some of this helps,
Best wishes
craven1995
Forums Newcomer

Postby Noels » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:26 am

I must be in a darkish pondering mood today as the first thing that came to mind was "we are never too young to die".

Be grateful that you found the truth at your age for now you have much living to do :D

Love and Light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)