24 and back

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

24 and back

Postby Elizabeth90 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi. My name is Elizabeth and I'm an alcoholic. I first came into the program when I was 21, and it worked and I was happy and then I got lazy. I'm not at a rock bottom. I have a fabulous job I love, a stable domestic partnership, all that but I know that if I let myself spiral...I know how low I can go. So I am back. Three days sober today, I've begun step work again...I'm really looking forward to being back in a fellowship and regaining trust, and confidence, and contentment. I assumed when I left the program that because of my age I'd out grown my drinking problem. I believe now that I'm just not like my peers. I'm sorry for rambling a bit. Thank you for letting me share
Elizabeth90
Forums Newcomer

Re: 24 and back

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:22 pm

Elizabeth90 wrote:Hi. My name is Elizabeth and I'm an alcoholic. I first came into the program when I was 21, and it worked and I was happy and then I got lazy. I'm not at a rock bottom. I have a fabulous job I love, a stable domestic partnership, all that but I know that if I let myself spiral...I know how low I can go. So I am back. Three days sober today, I've begun step work again...I'm really looking forward to being back in a fellowship and regaining trust, and confidence, and contentment. I assumed when I left the program that because of my age I'd out grown my drinking problem. I believe now that I'm just not like my peers. I'm sorry for rambling a bit. Thank you for letting me share

Hi Elizabeth and welcome back!!!

My name is Mary and I'm an alcoholic too.

Congratulations on three days of sobriety.

I got drunk just before what would have been my 2nd AA birthday. I bought a bottle of peach brandy with the intention of just getting blasted for one night and returning to AA meetings the next day. I really believed I could do that. Four days later I came to, didn't know what day it was or where all those empty beer cans and brandy bottles in my closet came from??? I had no memory of either buying them or drinking them but there they were! Alcoholism is such a weird disease, so cunning, baffling, and powerful. No wonder "normal" people can't understand us, huh? An AA friend came over, helped me sober up, got me to a meeting, and I've never taken another drink since. So glad you made it back!

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Re: 24 and back

Postby ann2 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:37 am

Hi Elizabeth,

Congratulations on finding your way back and letting others know how things are. That's admirable for sure, honesty and openness and willingness that I can use as a model.

You are a star to me today.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)