Starting a new Young Peoples meeting

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Starting a new Young Peoples meeting

Postby betcho » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:48 pm

I have created a young peoples meeting at my meeting hall. I went through all the correct avenues to get it approved, and people are very interested in attending. ONE BIG PROBLEM!: I have a couple ideas on how the format of the meeting should be, but I would really love some suggestions. I am a young member of Alcoholics Anonymous, with one year of sobriety, :D and have not attended any young peoples AA meeting before. Please if you have any insight on how to format a young peoples meeting, I would love to here from you!

Thank you!
-G
betcho
Forums Newcomer

Re: Starting a new Young Peoples meeting

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:10 pm

betcho wrote:I have created a young peoples meeting at my meeting hall. I went through all the correct avenues to get it approved, and people are very interested in attending. ONE BIG PROBLEM!: I have a couple ideas on how the format of the meeting should be, but I would really love some suggestions. I am a young member of Alcoholics Anonymous, with one year of sobriety, :D and have not attended any young peoples AA meeting before. Please if you have any insight on how to format a young peoples meeting, I would love to here from you!

Thank you!
-G

Hi betcho

Good for you! Young peoples meetings are great--so much energy and enthusiasm! My first home group was a new young people's AA meeting in my area and I later became its secretary. The format we used was I picked a different person to lead or chair the meeting each week. That person read AA's preamble and then lead the group in saying the Serenity Prayer. Then some member would read a portion of Chapter 3, i.e. "More About Alcoholism", followed by another member reading a portion of Chapter 5, i.e. "How It Works". Then the person who was leading the meeting would give a short personal pitch sharing what it was like, what happened, and what it's like today in sobriety. Afterwards, the chair would ask for someone to suggest a topic and then we'd have an open discussion on that topic. We always closed the meeting with a reading of a "A Vision For You" or the "AA Promises" followed by everyone joining hands for the Lord's Prayer. We started the meeting with just 6 regular members but it grew to about 50 within 6 months, then 100, and kept growing.

The AA website has several formats to browse and also local intergroups will generally have sample formats for you. Good luck!

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Re: Starting a new Young Peoples meeting

Postby Duke » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Welcome betcho. I don't have any specific suggestions for you, but I just wanted to say good luck and thanks for sharing that. You brightened my day.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)