I have a problem I don't want to admit

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

I have a problem I don't want to admit

Postby JFlo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:04 pm

How do you talk about it?
Last edited by JFlo on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JFlo
Forums Newcomer

Re: I have a problem I don't want to admit

Postby ann2 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:44 am

Hi,

Thanks for your question. It took me awhile to see the problem. Once I did, I was able to put a word on it -- dependence (on alcohol). I told a friend who arranged to go to an AA meeting with me.

At the meeting I didn't have to talk, just listen and realize that many people were going through the same thing as me. It was really a relief. They had lots of words to describe what they were experiencing. I ended up using a lot of their words because my problem was so like theirs.

As I continued to attend A.A. meetings I learned a vocabulary that helped me to talk about my problem. Words like "powerlessness" and "unmanageability" and smaller words too, like "fear" and "sick" and "tired."

Then I started learning the vocabulary of healing -- and that's why I keep going to A.A.! :wink:

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: I have a problem I don't want to admit

Postby Muffinpie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi,

The AA meetings are anonymous so if you are going to meetings and don't want to tell people then you don't have to. If you haven't yet been to a meeting and are looking for moral support from a friend then pick someone that you know you can trust and won't tell everyone what you've told them. Alternatively (I'm from the UK so don't know if it's like this in the U.S.) you can go on the AA website and there should be a phone number on there for someone in your local area that might be able to help you get to a meeting.

I hope this helps
One was too many and a thousand was never enough
Muffinpie
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)