Taking something for sleep

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Taking something for sleep

Postby ohjoyicanseeyou » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi there. I looked through previous postings and couldn't find an answer to my question before posting here. I am sober and have been struggling to sleep for the past month. I was considering taking an over the counter medication diphenhydramine (which in in benadryl and tylenol pm), but I wanted to find out if that's considered relapsing.
ohjoyicanseeyou
Forums Newcomer

Re: Taking something for sleep

Postby Duke » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:02 pm

Short answer: No, not that I'm aware of.

Longer answer: We are all very cautious about the medications we take and the reasons for taking them. Personally, I don't take anything without discussing it with my physician first, and then, only as directed.

Hope that helps.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:09 am

1. I am compulsive and so I abuse things and I need to be mindful of another addiction if I am not doing things right.
2. Even if you see a doctor will you be totally honest?
3. Even doctors don't always see or want to understand our plight.
4. You have a responsibility to know the limit of sleeping aids as habits might become hard to break and you might not be able to sleep without some kind of aid.

This is not a judgment as much as a caution because I've used Tylenol pm and those others that claim they aren't habit forming and lastly I do not take anything if I plan on driving. So take that stuff knowing the long term concerns and maybe even look at changing some things up at home as your mind must be racing over something going on. I've used these on occasion and it was normally last result and or I was in so much pain I needed something to relax my mind for 8 hours and it did work.

I hope you find some peace and better sleep soon.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:14 am

Longer answer: We are all very cautious about the medications we take and the reasons for taking them. Personally, I don't take anything without discussing it with my physician first, and then, only as directed.

I totally agree with Duke here.

Also, If you are a coffee drinker, I would avoid drinking coffee after 3pm in the afternoon. I am surprised how many people in AA drink so late in the night. If I do it, I will be awake all night. And try to exercise couple of hours before bed is also a good practice. Taking a personal inventory and looking at the selfishness and self-centerdness will also give you some peace of mind :wink:
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby whipping post » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:20 am

If you haven't tried melatonin it is definitely worth a shot. It's a naturally occurring substance created by our pineal gland. 3 to 5 mg tablets can be found in the natural supplements section of a drug store. Very inexpensive especially compared to over the counter sleep aids. Take the tablet about 2 hours before you want to sleep or it can leave you really groggy in the morning. My doctor recommended it and it smooth knocks me out but I didn't care for the groggy hangover :)
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:59 am

Welcome to e-AA. I have used those sleep aids for some time; my theory is that the FDA is very careful about allowing OTC sales of anything potentially addictive. Also the manufactures are large established companies, if it was shown that the non additive claims they make were false they would be sued out of existence, so I believe what they say as well. Lastly the active ingredient is the same as many hay fever and allergy medications, and those have been used without problems for many years.

I do like what whipping post said about melatonin however, and intend to try it myself, a naturally occurring substance would be an even better choice. What he said about the “groggy hangover” happens to some people with the OTC sleep aid as well, my wife does not like them for that reason, yet it doesn’t bother me, best of luck to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ohjoyicanseeyou » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:39 pm

Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate the responses. I ended up not taking anything last night. I do drink a lot of coffee, so I think I will try to go without that and see how that changes things before turning to any other kind of thing. I'm trying to ingest less of everything. haha And I don't really intend to add more.

Thanks again!
ohjoyicanseeyou
Forums Newcomer

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)