My name is Kate

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

My name is Kate

Postby ktmarque » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:17 pm

So... I have a problem with alcohol. I am older than college age but still feel younger than others. I have always had a problem with binge drinking but I had children and I was good for 7 years. My recent separation from there father has left me in some very scary situations. The most recent with taking a shot before going to work and arriving so drunk I had to tell them I was sick. I have the best job I will ever get and if I loose it I am not sure what would happen. I am a good mother and have 2 amazing boys. I do not understand what makes me choose drinking over them. My mom died at 40 from liver failure. The other day I saw a look in my 6 year olds face that broke my heart... but I continued to drink. I find it is hard because there is not one friend or family member I have that does not drink or understand that I should not and on top of that I get extremely lonely, like so lonely its painful. Thank you for letting me vent. I am ready for sobriety.
Last edited by ktmarque on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ktmarque
Forums Newcomer

Re: My name is Kate

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:48 pm

ktmarque wrote:So... I have a problem with alcohol. I am older than college age but still feel younger than others. I have always had a problem with binge drinking but I had children and I was good for 7 years. My recent separation from there father has left me in some very scary situations. The most recent with taking a shot before going to work and arriving so drunk I had to tell them I was sick. I have the best job I will ever get and if I loose it I am not sure what would happen. I am a good mother and have 2 amazing boys. I do not understand what makes me choose drinking over them. My mom died at 40 from liver failure. The other day I saw a look in my 6 year olds face that broke my heart... but I continued to drink. I find it is hard because there is not one friend or family member I have that does not drink or understand that I should not and on top of that I get extremely lonely, like so lonely its painful. Thank you for letting me vent. I am ready for sobriety.

Hi Kate and welcome.

It's wonderful that you're ready and want to get sober. I had an eight year old son who gave me the same kind of look you described from your 6 year old son. It wasn't too long after that I sought help for my drinking problem by calling the local AA hotline in my area. The hot line connected me with an older woman who had been sober in AA for about 25 years. She came over to my house and took me to an AA meeting that day. That phone call changed my life and my son's life too. Everything got better for both of us after that and has kept getting better one day at a time.

If you have any questions about how the AA program works, please feel free to ask.

Have you ever been to an AA meeting? If you'd like to talk to another sober female alcoholic, just post your zip code and I'll get a phone number for you to call.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby ktmarque » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Thank you. I have been to meetings in the past. I have the boys most of the time. Area code is 34450.
ktmarque
Forums Newcomer

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:09 pm

ktmarque wrote:Thank you. I have been to meetings in the past. I have the boys most of the time. Area code is 34450.

Hi again Katie

The 24 hour hotline phone number for your area is 352-621-0599. Looks like there's about 9 AA meetings a week in your area including a women's meeting. Some meeting groups have become more pro-active about providing child care for younger members. The hotline operator may not have that information but he or she can connect you with a sober female member who might have that info.

It's a big step to reach out for help but you can do this, Katie. You will find all the support, friendship and understanding you could ever want or need from other members in the rooms. You don't have to do this alone or ever be lonely again and you can become the person you want to be one day at a time like the rest of us.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:12 pm

Welcome Kate.

We've all been baffled by our drinking. I know that for me, in all other respects I was a responsible, hard working person with everything going for me. Why I needed to drink every day throughout the day, risking everything, is a question I can only answer with the simple acknowledgment that I'm an alcoholic and that's what we do.

The great news is you don't ever have to be at the mercy of alcohol again. All you need do is embrace this program like your life depends on it and start your own journey of working the steps one day at a time.

I wish you well. We'll be here.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby JFlo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:52 pm

You are so brave!! I haven't reached the point you are at now, but I feel I may be there soon. I want you to take comfort in knowing how much I admire you. You are a brave woman, a wonderful mom, and you will make it out of this okay. Surround yourself with people that love you, support you, and give you strength. God bless ✌
JFlo
Forums Newcomer

Postby AA_chatter » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:15 pm

Kate, I can relate to what you said. I am a mother too.
AA_chatter
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Feeya » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:33 pm

ktmarque wrote:So... I have a problem with alcohol. I am older than college age but still feel younger than others. I have always had a problem with binge drinking but I had children and I was good for 7 years. My recent separation from there father has left me in some very scary situations. The most recent with taking a shot before going to work and arriving so drunk I had to tell them I was sick. I have the best job I will ever get and if I loose it I am not sure what would happen. I am a good mother and have 2 amazing boys. I do not understand what makes me choose drinking over them. My mom died at 40 from liver failure. The other day I saw a look in my 6 year olds face that broke my heart... but I continued to drink. I find it is hard because there is not one friend or family member I have that does not drink or understand that I should not and on top of that I get extremely lonely, like so lonely its painful. Thank you for letting me vent. I am ready for sobriety.

Hi Kate and welcome to e-aa.
What helped me was find an aa-meeting nearby where I could go and raise my hand and just say: I need help!
I gave up the fight, accepted the alcohol had won, I admitted to being powerless! (And it helps with being lonely too, being in a room full of people that accept and understand you). All of a sudden you do find yourself surrounded by people that don't drink!
The people at those meetings greeted me with understanding and a solution! They had been were I was at that time and knew what I needed!

I wish you the best of luck!
Feeya
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)