ack... i'm too young for this

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Re: ack... i'm too young for this

Postby ann2 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks Chris, I'm with you. Somehow Bruce Willis comes to mind when I think about the elevator I was riding --
image.jpg

But I did get off thanks to all of you.

Ann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby aaryan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 pm

My young buddy and I are sober and we made this track about addiction/recovery

(Link Removed per Moderator, see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8)

Enjoy!
aaryan
Forums Newcomer

Postby raymondcarvedham » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:12 am

Hello,

I turned 25 last week. I am not sure if I am an alcoholic. However, I drove through a sobriety checkpoint a few weekends ago and was charged with a DUI. I am going to be facing counseling, and mandatory AA meetings twice a week. I am incredibly stressed, and full of guilt for this sentence. I am relying on friends for rides to my new job (as i was fired for my last one for the DUI). I am lucky to have a job. I do feel worrysome about being unable to drink at all during this time of extreme stress. I am not an agnostic, and wonder how this ideological standpoint will affect my perspective of AA. I hope I can use this program for support in this time of stress, and as a means to finding better means to relieve tensions, and maintain/build confidence. A question I would have is this: does AA support individuals who have no intentions of maintaining lifelong sobriety. Or, do AA members look down upon individuals whom are utilizing the program on a transitory basis?

-Forever Thankful,
wondering gal
raymondcarvedham
Forums Newcomer

Postby chefchip » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:00 am

Hmmm. Well, this alcoholic didn't start out with the intention of stopping for a lifetime. I was really hoping that AA could teach me how to drink like a normal person! That, as it turned out, was just a wish, a pipe dream not based in anything close to reality. AA was there for me when I only wanted to learn how to moderate my drinking, when I needed help in my hard time. And AA was there when I was slapped upside the head with the realization that I had a real problem with alcohol. It was at that point that I learned what AA could really do for me, if I let it.

The only requirement for fellowship in AA is the desire to stop drinking. To me, that means that we should not care WHY you want to stop, or HOW LONG you intend to stop.

I would recommend one thing to you, however. Just as you want us to keep an open mind about you and your intentions, then you should do the same about us and our program. Don't discount the fact that you might really have a problem and need the help we have to offer. If it turns out you don't, then we will be happy for you and be happy to have helped you through a time of stress and need. If you do have a problem, then we will be happy to show you our common solution.

In any case, welcome.
Chip
The only constant in life is change.
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Postby CG1988 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:15 pm

I can relate to the young people here. When I first attended AA I was 18 and by then alcohol had already done a lot of damage. I couldn't go out drinking without something mental happening and when I wasn't out getting drunk and causing trouble I was drinking alone at home and in parks, cemeteries and the like.

Fast forward almost nine years and although I no longer drink every day in random places I still have a chaotic life that I'm struggling to control. In retrospect I should have stayed in AA, when I went to meetings back then people used to comment on how 'lucky' I was to find AA so soon. Since then I've been in and out several times and still never managed to stay the course.

Alcoholism really doesn't just disappear one day never to return. I wish I'd have stayed the first time.
CG1988
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:44 pm

I had a scrapes with AA starting when I was 19 and finally by the time I was the ripe age of 23 I was a full time member of AA. Damn I was pissed at the world, at myself and at life because I was too young to be in the room full of people who just quit living! I guess I was trying to fool myself that I was all together and just needed to take a break. See I knew I had a problem and yet I was not able to quit or have the desire to give a S*** about life or myself.
I’ll be 50 in few years and I am so glad I was able to achieve the sober way of life with all of those losers I saw in the rooms who gave up and quit living! I have forgot where I parked my car sober and I have loved, laughed and cried along the way and hurt a lot due to life and what it brings when you know people.
For the young folks if I had a suggestion I would suggest that you go to 90 meetings in 90 days and when you think it is not for you keep coming back and if at the end of 90 days you feel you just don’t fit the mold then go on living life and may you be normal and not need AA or any other support organization.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby kscie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi,
I am new here.

I live in Switzerland and alcohol is not a good subject to speak about...
I am here to tell us my story hoping it will help someone.
So, I am Kscie from Switzerland, I am 17 but I began at the age of 14. I am a broken person who is now happy : I am 17 but I feel like I am 71.
My life has not always been full of happy things. There is a quote telling you have to remember why you began. I began because of a lost. I was 14 and he was 17. I was the love of his life and we had to live together in England. A car crash happened. He drunk no alcohol but the guy who drove did. He died. I began smoking, drinking and then taking horrible things like heroine. That is something hard to speak about because I am now clean and it feels like it was not me, not my life. I did a depression full of suicide thoughts... and I started to run. I ran a big race in my country and I am now a triathlete semi-pro. Last year I started to see other guys again. I had a relationship with a nice one, but I did not know I was pregnant. I lost the baby. This summer I was enjoying in a big festival and a guy raped me. So yeah i am a broken person. I had to see a lot of psychologists before I began to run. The thing is when I have been raped, I was drunk. And even if I did not drink like I did before I knew tht alcohol was a problem. So on 17th November I made the promise to not drink again.

I have a relationship with the perfect man since 29th November of this year and I am really happy today.

enjoy your 24 hours.

Kscie :wink:
kscie
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi Kscie. Glad you found us! There is hope, even for the youngest and even for the oldest. Alcohol doesn't play favorites. It is a disease and some are affected quickly some more slowly. You say alcoholism is not a thing to talk about where you are from - and I wouldn't know, I am in Iowa USA, which seems like forever away from you. But I think alcoholics don't necessarily like to talk about alcoholism because when we do, we are forced to look at the reality of it or out & out lie about the reality. Seems there is seldom an easy middle ground for an alkie... personally, I practice AA and the 12 Steps the same way I drank, full speed!

Here is a link from the General Service Office with contact info for your country...
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-r ... nt_eu%2Csz
Here is a link to our Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous. May I suggest you start with the Doctor's Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/aa-liter ... -anonymous
Feel free to look around there all you like and please come back here and hang out a bit! e-aa has live chat and email meetings and this forum is open 24/7/365 :-)

We will be here.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi Kscie and welcome.

Congratulations on your decision to get sober and stay sober! Great decision!

Are you close to Geneva? If so, there's a Young People's AA meeting in Geneva on Friday night @ 8:30 pm. The Young People's Group is located at Rue du Vieux Billard 21. The contact tel is +41 79 466 53 30. There's probably several more that are unlisted but you can find out where they are at the Friday meeting.

When I got sober, my home group in AA was a Young People's meeting in southern California and our youngest member was 12 years old. YPAA meetings have the same format and use the same literature as regular AA meetings but they are geared to a younger generation of alcoholics who have a history of drug use and want to get and stay both clean & sober, rather than just sober. Although one of the founders of AA was both an alcoholic and a drug addict when he got clean & sober, some older AA folks are extremely intolerant of any talk about drugs in regular AA meetings, especially heroin, and can be extremely rude to newcomers seeking recovery support. If you run into that kind of attitude, it's good to be forewarned and know that you'll have a very different kind of experience going to Young People's AA meetings, besides meeting more people in your own age group.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby kscie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:42 pm

First I wanted to thank you for being here and you, Americans, you are doing a really good job.
I am near to Fribourg so Geneva is far, but who knows if I am brave enough one day...
Sorry for my bad English this is not my mother tongue (I speak French, German (Fribourg is a bilingual country)
I do not know if I habe the permission to do this, but I wanted to speak by instamessage or whatsapp or even here with young people in the same situation.
So, if you are interested just send me a message here.

I will get through a reading called the mayor of Casterbridge, it is about an alcoholic, bad guy, but I think this is not the cliché... I am excited to read this book and I have to do a presentation, so I am also hoping a good mark !

Thanks for the support !

Enjoy your day it is 21 pm, last words of the day,

Kscie
kscie
Forums Newcomer

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:37 pm

Your English is great, much much better than my high school French, kscie!

Friborg AA meetings are held in both French and German so you get to choose.

Here's a link: http://www.aasri.org/index.php/fr/reunions/fribourg

and some info that might be helpful:

Permanence téléphonique: 0848-848-846

Permanence téléphonique Fribourg: 079 471 58 81

Intergroupe AA Région Fribourg-Jura-Berne-Neuchâtel : CP786, 2501 Bienne : Contact
Comité d'information publique : CP 786, 2501 Bienne : Contact

Groupe AA Broye
Réunion Lundi à 20 h
Séance ouverte sur demande
Langue : Français

Rue Guillermaux 17 , Payerne
Adresse postale: CP 19, 1530 Payerne

Groupe AA Accueil
Réunion Lundi à 20 h
Séance ouverte le 1er lundi du mois

Av.du Général Guisan 53 (Ancienne école du Jura), Fribourg
Adresse postale: CP 1, 1762 Givisiez

Groupe AA Aufbruch
Réunion Mercredi à 19h30 (en allemand)
Séance ouverte sur demande
Fait partie de AA Suisse Alémanique
Langue : Deutsch

Av. du Général Guisan 53 (Ancienne école du Jura), Fribourg
Adresse postale: CP 1, 1762 Givisiez

Groupe AA Gruyère
Réunion Jeudi à 20 h
Séance ouverte le 3ème jeudi du mois

Route de la Lécheretta 24 , Bulle
Adresse postale: CP 649, 1630 Bulle

The intergroup group contact number should have more info on where the closest Young People's AA meetings are in your area. If by chance there aren't any yet, maybe you and some of the other younger AA members you will meet at the regular AA meetings can start one. All you need is a Big Book, a coffee pot, and a meeting place. My YPAA meeting started out with 4 regular AA members every Wednesday night, grew to over 50 in 6 months and then to about 100 within a year!

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Pat82 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Hello and welcome. You're never too young nor old to get hijacked by alcohol nor to recover from its grip.

Have a super day and keep coming back. :-)
Pat82
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Muffinpie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Hi,

I struggled with this too when I joined AA. I'm 21 and I thought that AA was for people who had been drinking years and years and that I wouldn't have anything in common with them however this is not the case at all. I soon realised that I had a lot in common with them as we were all alcoholics. I also realised that I could be in AA now at 21 and get myself sorted to spare myself a lot of the pain and misery others in the meeting had been through or I could carry on drinking and end up in AA in ten or twenty years time when I was a total mess or not even get back to AA due to killing myself through drinking.

There is nothing wrong with admitting you have a problem as long as you do something to fix that problem and for alcoholics the only way to fix that problem is to go to AA :) hope this helps.
One was too many and a thousand was never enough
Muffinpie
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lcampio101 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm 32 and have been struggling with alcohol for a long time. I got my first dui when I was 18 the next 2 within a few months of eachother, and still afraid to ask for help until now. I Was forced to go to AA when I was 18 and I hated it, now that I'm 32 after many attempts to stop drinking on my own, tried controlled drinking and it always leads to binge drinking and blackouts. I was blessed to find this site and I'm going to start going to women's meetings tomorrow. I will probably be too scare to talk but I'm going to ask for some phone numbers. God will be by my side and give me the strength I need.
Lisa Marie
Lcampio101
Forums Newcomer

Postby Noels » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:47 pm

Hi Lisa Marie how is it going?
Love and light Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)