ack... i'm too young for this

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Re: ack... i'm too young for this

Postby ann2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:53 pm

Hey Rho!!

Welcome to e-AA -- my name's Ann and I'm an alcoholic. I've known I was one since I was 26. I was fortunate in that a friend of mine listened to me when I told him my conclusions, and offered to take me to an A.A. meeting.

At that meeting the speaker was celebrating her 1 year anniversary of sobriety. She was 26.

I joined a group very close to where I lived. One of my main friends was an alcoholic who was 19.

Have you gone to a meeting yet? You might be surprised about how less alone being with others who have your disease makes you feel. Plus, you might run into other people your age. I didn't have much trouble doing that 18 years ago, living in a major metropolitan city.

Give Alcoholics Anonymous, A.A., in the telephone directory a call. Tell them what you just said here. In meetings we say, "Identify, don't compare" so try to stop remembering your differences and think about what you have in common with the rest of us drunks.

If you're like me, you don't want to drink today. An alcoholic who doesn't pick up a drink for 24 hours is a miracle. I've found how I can accomplish that miracle a day at a time in A.A. Maybe it will work for you too.

Hugs and thanks for posting,

Ann (ann2)
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby stephbridget » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:51 am

Alcohol is an enemy to all ages. The youngest in my path has been 13.

We are glad you are here. Go to meetings, talk and listen and AA will welcome you with open arms.
One day at a time :)
Hugs,
Steph
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby patty143 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:37 am

Hey Rho,
Welcome to AA. Alcohol has no age limit. It accepts everyone regardlessof race, age or social standing.
My son has been in AA since he was 22. He now has 8 years sober. It is hard for someone of your age to think they have this to deal with. However take it on, you will not be disappointed. This is a journey you will enjoy.

Take care,
Patty W.
patty143
Forums Long Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:39 am

I know someone who's been sober 15 years. She's 34 years old.

Alcoholism knows no age, colour, profession, race, borders, religion. Neither does recovery.

Here's a clue: it's not age that makes you feel different and alone.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Veronique » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:45 am

Hello Rho,

Alcoholism is not limited in age. If you think you are an alcoholist and want to do something about it, go to meetings...
You asked for stories of young members. My sponsor is now just about 56 years old. He started going to meetings when he was 21, got sober when he was 23.
Just go an listen, you will soon feel if aa is anything for you.
Hugs
Veronique
Progress not perfection
Veronique
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Dean C » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:56 pm

I got sober at 38 years of age. When I had been in AA about three weeks, I heard a 16-year-old who'd been sober 2 years talk at a meeting. He knew more about life and living, from his time sober, that I could even imagine.

If you're ever in Monterey, California, on a Saturday night, try the Young People's meeting. It's standing room only, so get there early if you want a seat.
"Whatever can be said can be said clearly."
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Postby curtis s » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:59 pm

I used to go to a 7 a.m. meeting where people would leave a bit early to catch the school bus.

Check out young people's groups if they have them nearby.

I would probably feel funny getting sober with a bunch of older people if I was in my teens also. But I would rather feel funny about age differences than be drunk.

Most of the people in my home group are of a different color than I am. I felt uncomfortable about that for awhile but it eventually became a non issue. So can age for you.

Curt
"What a long strange trip it's been."
curtis s
Forums Long Timer

Postby SteveC » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:05 am

Just to add my .02 here... When I moved to California years ago, the first meeting I went to there was a young fella there celebrating his first year of sobriety. Got the chance to talk to him afterwards. Learned he would be turning 14 years old the following week. Young? I guess so, but i still talk to him on the phone every once in a while & he's still sober. Almost 11 years now.
Steven M. Clapper
Great Falls, Montana, USA

Serenity is not absence of the storm,
But peace within the storm.
SteveC
Forums Contributor

Postby Veronique » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:41 am

Thanks for sharing Bikedude

Welcome to e-aa

Veronique
Progress not perfection
Veronique
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Slawson » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:54 pm

Your not alone Rho. I'm 26 and probably in the same boat as you. You feel as though you are to young to have such an extreme problem. Just like me.

To me it seems as though I can't have a problem, because everyone i know drinks. I face this dilema many times a week and absolutley every weekend. And it overwhelms me on many occasions.

Only very recently have i tried to find support from others, but ive been aware of my problem since I was 17. Its hard to admit that you have a problem, especialy a young person. Let alone to seek help.
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
Slawson
Forums Newcomer

Postby service-youth » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:46 pm

I don't think you can ever be too young. On the contrary, I believe the sooner you can come to terms with your situation & quite possibly the havoc alcohol may wreck on your life, the greater the gift it is. Simply think about how many more mistakes, injuries, relationships hurt or even the financial costs you might have to endure if you continue with your old ways? You are beautiful & you will make it through. Be glad that you were able to come to terms with whatever your situation might be sooner rather then later. You will make it through this.

Best of luck & warm wishes.
Someday,tomorrow will come. Though I'm not afraid of today, that's for sure.-Moby Grape
service-youth
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:24 pm

Welcome, service-youth, nice to see you here! Thanks for sharing.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby service-youth » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Ann-thank you for your response. The day is today. & again you are never too young. I love the analogy of the elevator going down someone else on the board used. It really is up to you to decide when to get off that elevator & what floor you get off on. The younger-chronologically speaking-the higher the floor..

Again, thanks for the warm welcome & lets get off this dang elevator.

All the best & warm wishes to all you & yours.

-Chris
Someday,tomorrow will come. Though I'm not afraid of today, that's for sure.-Moby Grape
service-youth
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)