Is it really worth it........

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Is it really worth it........

Postby Daavid24 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:56 pm

18 year old, I've sponsored. I know about the illness. Been assisting at a group for 2 years. Just thinking to myself recently how can I live life in aa being young. I've seen youngsters in my group relapse sponsorees relapse. I feel like I can't apply the program to my person but I can apply it to someone else. To be honest everything I've learned from aa I think has made me a worse person. Like at first I got sober but now I can't seem to find a solution. I know what my sponsors going to tell me. But to be honest frustration is getting to my head. I don't have the humility to talk to a sponsor or mayb it's just that my ego is telling me it's not worth it. What should I do.
Daavid24
Forums Newcomer

Re: Is it really worth it........

Postby ann2 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:26 am

You're doing it. You're sharing, not hiding this. Congratulations and welcome :)

I got to AA fairly young, 26, and had friends who were 18. Is it worth it? Yes, absolutely, every second sober has been worth it to me, especially when I read the shares of alcoholics seeking help and I know that could be me.

Is it hard? Yes, sometimes. I lose momentum too. But because I'm sober, I know something unexpected will turn up and push me where I need to go . . . and it's always unexpected.

All we have is today, one day, and that I would prefer to spend not drinking. AA has given me what I need for that to happen. "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Daavid24 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks. 24 hours.
Daavid24
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:15 am

Hi, good to hear from you. You know, actually, this morning was one of those days. Luckily I checked my prayer website first and found a meditation on caring for the water, which is what my company tries to do. So that gave me a purpose, serving nature. Was still in a funk but had enough energy to come here and read you :D Good news you're here, thanks for posting.

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby TonyWARMS » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:30 am

Hey 24,
What do you want out of this?
It doesn't sound like your way of doing this is hitting home.
Remember, you get what you give.
I find it very helpful not to think about myself when I'm in a meeting, but, through my experiences, relating what it was like when I was a miserable mess all the time.
Personally, I would rather have my fingernails pulled out slowly, one by one, than go back to my old ways.
That does not sound like good times to me ( I assume it doesn't sound like fun to you either!)
Really, just try making it about others for a while, and see if it doesn't start making more sense to you.
If it doesn't, you can always try something else.
I am rooting for a young guy like yourself to find your way now before you waste any more of this gift we all have before us.

Peace, Tony
"Nothing comes to stay. Everything comes to pass".
(I don't know where I heard this)
TonyWARMS
Forums Long Timer

Postby ann2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:40 am

TonyWARMS wrote:Personally, I would rather have my fingernails pulled out slowly, one by one, than go back to my old ways.

With you right there 100%.

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Oliver » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:39 am

ann2 wrote:
TonyWARMS wrote:Personally, I would rather have my fingernails pulled out slowly, one by one, than go back to my old ways.

With you right there 100%.

Ann

With you x3.

It's worth it. It really is.
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby kenyal » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:07 am

Find someone who came in young and went back out for more adventures and ask them if they believe that was a quality move. If by clawing their way back in their 30s or 60s it somehow made everything better.
kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Postby Db1105 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:11 am

I got sober one month before my 18th birthday back in 1977. By that time I was a blackout drinker who had the jails, the institutions, and brought back from the dead due to an overdose. I knew if I kept drinking, the end result would not be good. So, it was a matter of life and death.

Lucky for me, I haas mother else to do except to go to a lot of meetings. Got a Homegroup, got a sponsor, and used him, and got involved. Not only did I work the 12 steps, but I had to set some goals for myself. Fisrt was getting a GED since I never made it past 10th grade. Then it was a job, which was working at a gas station. Not only did I have to recover in AA, I had to recover in life.

I found a great group of young people who were serious about recovery and stuck with them. We worked at recovery hard, and we had fun when it was time to have fun. Beach, skiing, concerts, dances, parties, etc., etc,.

I also had to make the grow up decision of what I wanted to do when I grow up. I worked my way through college, career, marriage, kids, and all the stuff normal People do in life, just not drinking. Well into my third decade in recovery, it was the best thing I ever did. Did quite make my goals. I'm not a multi millionaire, but I'm not hurting, been married 30 years to someone I met not in the program. Two kids in college now and just enjoying life. Like everyone says, it works if you work it.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby Daavid24 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:35 pm

Thanks everyone. You all really gave me good points to think about. 24 hours
Daavid24
Forums Newcomer

Postby maurits » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:52 am

dear fellows,

if i could travel back in time,

the first words i would say to my younger self are,