Sober artist

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Sober artist

Postby Belle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:38 am

Hello,

Belle here - 19 year old alcoholic from Canada.

I'm sober 8 months and feeling strong, its a new life that makes me excited to wake up in the morning.

This is my first e-AA post, I just made an account. I did not know this site existed, very cool!

I wanted to make a post regarding one thing I've been struggling with, just to see if anyone out there is in the same boat. I'm having a hard time finding people my age that share interests with me and whose lives don't revolve around drinking. I am an artist, I write poetry, paint, love fashion, alternative music... I guess you could say I'm pretty hip.. but my soul is lonely. Without alcohol, things are no doubt much better, but it would be easier if I new other artists and spiritual people who were sober and finding it difficult to be around their old crowd.

Please reply if any of this resonates with you!

Wishing you all another joyful 24 hours of sobriety,

Belle
Belle
Forums Newcomer

Re: Sober artist

Postby Lali » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your story, Belle.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby johnd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks Belle,
Don't they have YP Meetings in your area, They have a few in my area here in Massachsetts. There may also be some other places such as church groups or local art shops who often have open events to share or sell your artwork or maybe just for fun join an art class to continue your knowledge for art. just a thought. Good Luck hope to see a few more post from you John D.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous
johnd
Forums Long Timer

Postby Joel.Recla » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:49 am

I'm a young sober artist too. I'm haveing a hard time finding a group i fit in with. I'm kinda sick of people telling me what life was like when they were my age. It would be cool if there was some sort of young person 12 step branch off.
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
JR
Joel.Recla
Forums Newcomer

Postby johnd » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Check with the Central Servivice in your area and see if they have YP (Young People) Groups as I metioned prior they have many in my state Massachusetts, you can even call the Mass Central Service office and see about getting one started in your area I'm sure they could help you out, Just a thought. If I can help any other way let me know you PM me if you'd like feel free John D.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous
johnd
Forums Long Timer

Postby kenyal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:24 am

Yes, know what you mean. I wanted to find other young sober home improvement salespeople to associate with initially, and wondered where all the young home improvement salespeople were in AA, but wound up making friends with a realtor, a tax worker, a beauty supply wholesaler and a dental equipment manufacturer instead.
kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Postby AlisonT » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:46 am

Hi Belle, I struggle with this too. I am a sober artist although not young. I do have plenty of friends in the rooms. People who care about me and that I care about. But I do art festivals which means I spend many weekends away from home surrounded by artists and drinking. The drinking doesn't particularly bother me anymore. I have been placed in that position of neutrality. But I do get lonely at times for someone I can talk to about more than art show stuff who still understands art show stuff.
AlisonT
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)