How young is young?

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

How young is young?

Postby crashab » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm 29. Alcohol is the biggest problem in my life. I have a hard time relating to anyone else my age that doesn't drink. I will post elsewhere if I should. But I guess I'm hanging onto the "young alchoholics" for now until I'm 30 :)

also, i've been sober for 12 out of the last 14 months. i have problems, need help.
crashab
Forums Enthusiast

Re: How young is young?

Postby ann2 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:24 am

Hi, I was 26 when I got to my first meeting. 29 seems young to me -- in the ICYPAA (International Conference of Young People in AA) you are welcome at any age! It's so cool, today the ICYPAA is meeting in St. Louis MO, its 54th annual meeting. Huge huge event and lots of fun!! Check it out and see if you can get involved in your area -- there are regional get-togethers all over :-)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:33 am

AA welcomed me 2 months shy of 18 and I've stayed. I was beaten, battered and broken beyond repair so I thought. I've healed as a result of God and AA and live a happy, useful and productive life.

Welcome and please join us on the 'broad highway' of recovery!
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:00 am

I'm 29. Alcohol is the biggest problem in my life. I have a hard time relating to anyone else my age that doesn't drink. I will post elsewhere if I should. But I guess I'm hanging onto the "young alchoholics" for now until I'm 30

also, i've been sober for 12 out of the last 14 months. i have problems, need help.

Just past 48 now, but when I walked into the rooms of AA six years ago I was drawn to a particular meeting within our group where kids met on Thursday. There was so much of enthusiasm and the drive to help each other, way beyond comparison to the other meetings at the same place. Some kids already had about 6 to 8 years of sobriety.

So don't fall into some negative comments from some sick old-timers who say, you haven't even drank the amount of liquor we spilled. These are from people who don't really understand what alcoholism is about.

Find a sponsor who would walk you though the big book (AKA alcoholics Anonymous) that will help you get convinced whether you are an alcoholic or not. Then, if you are, he/she will help you walk through the whole program and attain what is vital for recovery 'a spiritual awakening'. As Bill says, you will be rocketed into 4th dimension of existence.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby crashab » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks all. Nice to hear from others who can relate.
crashab
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tommy-S » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:23 am

Welcome...

No need to 'fit' yourself into a mold... You're welcome to hang with some of us 'old' folks, too.

I was 20 when I began this wonderful journey, and like Aveenish shared, I used to hear that "I spilled more than you drank."

I would tell them, "Maybe if you hadn't spilled so much, you'd have gotten here sooner." :)

It's a great day to be sober, sane & of service... And before AA, I was none of those.

Keep sharing... Thanks

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Squawking Hawk » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:58 am

I came into the rooms of AA when I was 29. I am now closer to 60 than I am to 55. There were some folk near my age in the rooms when I was getting sober in an east coast state of the USA. When I look around the rooms at my current f2f meetings, I see a lot of younger folk. There is a chapter of ICYPAA (International Conference of Young People in AA) active in my state, and I am glad for this. While I know that us older folk are welcome to ICYPAA events in my state, I also understand that identification is important. That is, I gravitated towards the younger sober folk that were in the rooms when I was first getting sober, but I also hanged out with some of the older folk in the rooms as well.

Squawking Hawk
Last edited by Squawking Hawk on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:07 am

Welcome, Crash. You said you need help. You are in the right place. Would you like to tell your story so that we can get to know you?
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby crashab » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Been abusing alcohol for as long as I can remember. Since the first time I tried it, I knew it was my "thing." Unfortunately it's the worst decision I've ever made. I'm currently working on being sober and trying to figure out what my path is going to be. I'm married and have two children. I don't want my wife or kids to see me drunk ever again. In the past 14 months I've been sober for 12, I relapsed a couple months ago thinking that I had it under control. I knew I was wrong, but I talked myself into it and that I'd be ok this time. Terrible, terrible mistake. All that led to was me drinking all the time, hiding it from my wife, and generally letting it run my life. I can't drink, my body cannot safely consume alcohol. I want nothing more than to figure out a way to be sober forever.

That's the short version of my story, and I'm looking to find more people to talk to about it. I'm glad that I found this place. I spent a lot of time in AA groups over the past year, but have not gone for a while. I am going to seek help with a counselor and hopefully figure out what will work for me.

Thanks for reading!
crashab
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tommy-S » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Hello again,

I certainly relate, as my first drunk was around 10 years old...felt like I had found Magic.

But I opened the Genie in the Bottle, and was never able to re-cork it... Until AA.

AA works... And seems like it did for you,too. Nothing against Counselors, but if AA was working When you worked it, why not start by getting back there first... I'm betting it'll still work.

Today, because of AA, my kids have never seen what I turn into behind the First Drink... So I continue to 'go to any lengths' to keep what AA has given me... A life Sober, Sane & of Service. It's a good life, too.

Thanks for sharing with us :)

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby mjohns451 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:57 am

I'm 20 and 29 doesn't seem old at all to me. Either way I don't think it matters where you post something as long as you get your thoughts and feelings out for others to see and help.
mjohns451
Forums Enthusiast

Postby masteroftheory » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Don't feel old, but I was 16 when I joined the wonderful program of AA. Since then I've been twelve steppin my way through life and it has been a wonderful two years and some change. At first I used to feel that I was too young to be sober. But I came to find out that I have no justified reason of feeling that way because I have people coming up to me all of the time telling me how they wish they got it when they were my age. Well hell, the rate that kids these days are getting AA I might be saying the same thing to some 14 year olds some day. It's a scary feeling that the disease starts so early in some. But it is a relief to know that they are finding their solution just as early. Thank God for being young in AA, and embrace the age that you did get here, because some aren't so lucky to even see that age.
"There are no good of bad choices. There are just the ones you are willing to live with." - Anonymous
masteroftheory
Forums Newcomer

Postby Db1105 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:07 pm

I was 17 when I got sober in 1977. It's been a great ride so far!
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby masteroftheory » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Db1105 wrote:I was 17 when I got sober in 1977. It's been a great ride so far!

Wow! I hope to have what you have one day.
"There are no good of bad choices. There are just the ones you are willing to live with." - Anonymous
masteroftheory
Forums Newcomer

Postby Jimmy B. » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am

Db1105 wrote:I was 17 when I got sober in 1977. It's been a great ride so far!

Yeah! Lucky number 17! Haha, I started down my AA path just a little over a year ago, when I was 17 as well. I have loved every minute of it too. I hope to get the sobriety some of you guys have acclaimed as well.
My AA Birthday: December 6th 2011

Still taking things One Day at a Time.
Jimmy B.
Forums Newcomer

Next

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)