As Good of Chance As Any

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

As Good of Chance As Any

Postby ShaneL » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Some think it is harder for a young person to sober up than an older person because they haven't drank as long or experienced enough pain. I think there is some error in that kind of reasoning. I sobered up at 15, relapsed a couple of times while 16 and have been sober nearly 27 years now. During that time I have seen many older members come in and out as much as I have seen younger members. I have seen men over the age of 70 come in and repeatedly relapse. I have buried a couple.

I was sober all through college from day one and made many friends my age that were in the program. A handful of them are still friends with me on Facebook and still sober. Some of them have gone back to drinking. I don't know if there have been any studies done on it but I have not seen that age is much of a factor in deciding who stays sober and who does not.

What I do see is that those who get a sponsor, change playmates and playground, work the steps and get involved in service tend to stay sober regardless their age.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
ShaneL
Forums Enthusiast

Re: As Good of Chance As Any

Postby leejosepho » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:05 am

Agreed, Shane: Ago alone is not a deciding factor. Aside from the man (and his wife) who became my first sponsor, I was, at 31, the oldest newcomer in that group ...

... and whenever anyone asked how many people there actually recovered, the answer was always the same:

"Every one of them who began to do and then kept doing what is in our book!"

As I recall, at least three folks there were still in High School at the time.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)