Hospital Stays

For the younger AA generation, some experience, strength and hope.

Hospital Stays

Postby Bop8989 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:46 pm

Hello,

I am looking for "What to expect" when I go to the hospital for inpatient treatment for my addiction. My doctor is calling me next week to get everything set up. I am extremely terrified and nervous going into this as I am not sure what to expect during my stay. Any help is appreciated!
Bop8989
Forums Newcomer

Re: Hospital Stays

Postby Shoreline » Sat May 05, 2018 4:40 am

I have been to detox programs (3-5 days long) in a hospital a few times. It starts with being checked in, some blood work is taken and you are tested for alcohol/drugs in your system. Your belongings are searched to make sure you did not bring in alcohol/drugs. If you are detoxing from alcohol you will get medication like Librium or Ativan to help with the withdrawals. There's usually group therapy during the day. Sometimes people from AA or NA visit in the evening to share their stories (like a mini AA meeting). If you are very sick then you will probably stay in bed most of the day. If you feel ok then you can usually watch TV in the common room, eat snacks, hang out with other patients etc. You will probably meet with a counselor one on one to make plans for aftercare which is usually outpatient counseling. A lot of people have been in your situation and got through it. I was scared the first time I had to go to detox but it really wasn't as bad as I expected. The hardest part, in my opinion, is leaving detox and knowing that nobody can stop you from drinking if you wanted to. At least in detox you are in a controlled environment. Use the time in detox to make a plan for how you will stay sober when you get out. Whether AA meetings, counseling, a sober house or whatever else is necessary.
Shoreline
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Mon May 07, 2018 4:09 am

Bop8989 wrote:Hello,

I am looking for "What to expect" when I go to the hospital for inpatient treatment for my addiction. My doctor is calling me next week to get everything set up. I am extremely terrified and nervous going into this as I am not sure what to expect during my stay. Any help is appreciated!

Every location is different and so all I can suggest is this: Put one foot in front of the other and step forward and challenge yourself just like you did when you drank.
Unless you are very wealthy and are going to some high end rehab I am thinking it might not be a holiday.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Clarissssa » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:06 am

You’re going to have pretty much no freedom there. No cell phone, selected clothing etc. You will have groups everyday and share your experiences and feelings. It’s really not that bad. It’s what you make of it.
Clarissssa
Forums Newcomer

Return to Young People in AA (YPAA)