Newbie to AA: Marriage Counseling????

Some alcoholics still have families when they get to AA. This is a place to ask questions and share experiences about relating to family members sober, especially when newly sober. (If you are not an alcoholic, please use the "Our Friends and Families" forum.)
maddyable
Forums Newcomer

Re: Newbie to AA: Marriage Counseling????

Post by maddyable » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:38 am

Marriage counseling online is conducted at the privacy of your own home. No time is wasted to get to and from the sessions, but more importantly, it's available almost 24/7. Even if it's in the middle of the night, you can send an email, or pick up the phone and you will be helped almost immediately.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:05 am

Even if it's in the middle of the night, you can send an email, or pick up the phone and you will be helped almost immediately.
Sounds vaguely familiar...experiencing deja vu...

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 am

Yes, counseling could be helpful but I would not do it online. Find names and numbers of counselors in the yellow pages or online. When you get to the appointment, look for a license on the wall. Whether or not a counselor is licensed cant be verified on line.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

jenny26
Forums Newcomer

Post by jenny26 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:56 am

Hello,

Yes, Marriage Counseling saves lots of couples life who are frosted from his partner & take a decision which no need for them.but my question to all couples why don't you understand if you break your relationship with silly mistakes?? If your mind does not take decision go somewhere on a peaceful place & think about it why you put your stress or any type of problem on your partner. You have any problem discuss with your partner & I think its better thing to consult your problem with each other without any marriage counseling.
Just live a happy life not painful. Alright...
Thanks...

Jason727
Forums Newcomer

Post by Jason727 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Jason- Alcoholic

As a person who is only 3 weeks sober I can see the POV. My wife and I were both casual drinkers, me being more indulgent than her. After our child was born she completely stopped drinking while I continued. It has been a little over 4 years and we are just now(8) sessions into marriage counseling. At first I had a bad attitude towards it ( I was still drinking at the time ) the last few sessions of counseling while being sober were eye opening. I had no clue what I was doing to her, our marriage and my relationship with my child. I never believed in some doc talking to me using kind and gentle words would change my outlook on everything....it really did. So long story short, if both parties are committed to the "process" marriage counseling can work!!

I hope my rambling can help in some way!

Brock
Forums Coordinator

Post by Brock » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:19 pm

Welcome here Jason, thanks for your input based on your recent experience, that's what we alcoholics relate to. I particularly relate to these words - “I had no clue what I was doing to her, our marriage and my relationship with my child.” This is so true of us alcoholics while still drinking.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Post by PaigeB » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:46 am

while being sober were eye opening
YES> Drinking made be blind to everything except the next drink and how I could justify it. Had I admitted that I was harming my family and not just myself, I would have quit! But for us alcoholics we are blind to pretty much everything until we take the Action of putting aside the drink.

I hope you get to some meeting, get a Big Book and see if maybe you are an alcoholic too! We have a REAL solution to the drink problem!
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

ODAAT
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ODAAT » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:19 pm

23 Seeking Professional Help

Probably every recovered alcoholic has needed and sought professional help of the sort AA does not provide. For instance, the first two AA members, its co-founders, needed and got help from physicians, hospitals, and clergymen.

Once we have started staying sober, a lot of our problems seem to disappear. But certain matters remain, or arise, which do require expert professional attention, such as that of an obstetrician, a chiropodist, a lawyer, a chest expert, a dentist, a dermatologist, or a psychological counselor of some kind.

Since AA does not furnish such services, we rely on the professional community for job-getting or vocational guidance, advice on domestic relations, counseling on psychiatric problems, and many other needs...

Living Sober

AA doesn't provide marriage counseling. Nor its substitute. If a couple needs marriage counseling, they should get it.