A concerned nephew

Some alcoholics still have families when they get to AA. This is a place to ask questions and share experiences about relating to family members sober, especially when newly sober. (If you are not an alcoholic, please use the "Our Friends and Families" forum.)

A concerned nephew

Postby davidclay123 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:48 am

Hi guys,
My uncle has been drinking for 8 years and now he's someone I no longer recognize. He's turned into a crazy one, always talking non-sense and acting like he's lost his mind.
I'm here to look for help!
Many thanks!
davidclay123
Forums Newcomer

Re: A concerned nephew

Postby D'oh » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:12 am

Hi David.

Thanks for your concern for your Uncle. We as Alcoholics do tend to tear a wide path of damage that we don't see. A little quote from our Big Book.
The alcoholic is like a tornado roaring his way through the lives of others. Hearts are broken. Sweet relationships are dead. Affections have been uprooted. Selfish and inconsiderate habits have kept he home in turmoil. We feel a man is unthinking when he says that sobriety is enough. He is like the farmer who came up out of his cyclone cellar to find his home ruined. To his wife, he remarked, “Don’t see anything the matter here, Ma. Ain’t it grand the wind stopped blowin’?”

But not much can be done to change them. Until they hit a Bottom. But one person's concern about my drinking many years ago and years before I sobered up, still comes to my mind. And it was a simply, quiet, "It is pretty bad isn't it?" I replied "Yes, about another's Drinking." He said "No, Yours." and left.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby clouds » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:55 am

You can go to Alanon family groups and learn how to deal with an alcoholic relative. They have a lot of help and support for those who are concerned with an alcoholic family member. Best wishes and thanks for sharing with us.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:32 am

I have moved this topic to the Family Afterwards - where you might also find help with family members who drink.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to The Family Afterwards