alcoholic and recovering alcoholic

Some alcoholics still have families when they get to AA. This is a place to ask questions and share experiences about relating to family members sober, especially when newly sober. (If you are not an alcoholic, please use the "Our Friends and Families" forum.)

Re: alcoholic and recovering alcoholic

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:43 am

I read i "a new earth" about ego in relationship. It waits patiently for the relationship to get permanent. Then it un-leashes its true nature once the relationship is consummated (wedding). SpiritFlower always gives best advice on these matters. Dont have babies. I would add, be like Oprah. Dont get married.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:18 am

This character building might be result of her attending Al-non meetings ,reading Al-non literature.

I wanted to say welcome to akshay3688, who wrote a nice post on the preceding page, I had no idea of the power of Al-anon and that it could help wives of alcoholics to that extent.

I also put my wife through hell, thank God she stuck around to see me get well, and seems very pleased with the 'new' husband I have become.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby akshay3688 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:29 am

but as stupid as he thinks it is he has agreed to try it.

Good to hear that .take care
akshay3688
Forums Newcomer

Postby Tracy h » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:09 am

Lady, I appreciate this question, and it is timely for me. At 8 mos of sobriety, worrying about handling the future with drinking partner of 17+ years is one of my biggest concerns. Certainly protecting my sobriety is #1 priority, but I've come to realize that if it isn't sobriety-threatening, it certainly is serenity-threatening. And I want to envision a future of limitless possibilities as a sober individual, its hard to feel limited by the effects of alcohol in your life still ... Not to co-opt topic, just wanted to weigh in and wish you luck, and thank those that commented. I read all carefully. T
Tracy h
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to The Family Afterwards