Question about "birthday" chips

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Question about "birthday" chips

Postby hatrabbit » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi All,
I've never been great about attending meetings, working the steps, etc., but one way or another I've made it 20 years (well, tomorrow will be 20) sober. Though I haven't been the best AA participant I would like to go to a meeting and announce it publicly... do a little shameless bragging as well as encouraging others who may not be having an easy time of it. My question is this: are birthday chips given out at all meetings?

Thanks
hatrabbit
Forums Newcomer

Re: Question about "birthday" chips

Postby Marc L » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Some groups do celebrate anniversaries with cake and a medallion.
This place often does when you post your sobriety date info in the appropriate thread which in your case would be June AA Birthdays. I know this to be true because I've dunnit a few times. :D

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby jakpar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:38 pm

welcome to eAA!
and congrats on approaching 20 years!!!!
Jack

"We are of service by accepting responsibility for the authority God has given us and by respecting the authority God has given to others"
Anonymous
jakpar
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:10 pm

I would like to go to a meeting and announce it publicly... do a little shameless bragging as well as encouraging others who may not be having an easy time of it.

Please don't. What do you think you have to offer the people who are still suffering?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Marc L » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:
I would like to go to a meeting and announce it publicly... do a little shameless bragging as well as encouraging others who may not be having an easy time of it.

Please don't. What do you think you have to offer the people who are still suffering?

I'm glad you said it first cuz I was about to stomp on that stupid Mutt. :lol:

Gopher Killer Kitty
Last edited by Marc L on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm feel incredibly humbled when my anniversary date rolls around. I think of all the selfless, constructive help offered by so many and the awesome power of God that makes this possible. I announce it only to give credit where credit is due and that's not to me. What's really important is how well I 'carry this message and practice these principles'.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby hatrabbit » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:40 pm

This is to those who don't understand how someone could be encouraged by meeting a person who's been on the same rough road and pushed through to the smooth part. I can only speak for myself, but plenty of times when my way became cloudy, I lost my sense of purpose, my conviction to do the right thing... talking to somebody who knew just what I was feeling and made it through always made me feel like, hey, I can do this.

I see by a couple of responses above that some disagree... all I can say is my intention is good.
hatrabbit
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:27 pm

I would ask my sponsor, and I am sure she would encourage me to get my chip at my home group. Usually a sponsor purchases one, or hands one down, to the receiving party. Then the celebrant usually gets "roasted" by all the people that know her and gets a chance to say how they did it - for me that would be sponsor, Steps & meetings & fellowship. Then there would be cake!

Do you have a sponsor & a home group? I don't think that every group will have a 20 year chip just laying around....

Also I wanted to say that each group is autonomous. Some gives chips, others do not. If you have been attending meetings regularly you are probably used to the customs in your area.

Congrats! If you want a cyber chip like mine, google cybriety chips!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ann2 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:59 am

Well, these things have to be ordered in advance by the group, and they cost. I recently got one a week after my sobriety date from a friend who did it on his own -- very nice guy. It was a surprise and it was personal, although he passed it around the meeting.

I also attended one group where some guy showed up with 20 years and sort of demanded a medallion, and it was given him even though the person in charge had bought it for someone else (herself, as it turns out!!).

So I think you'd be placing a burden on the group. Why not buy one for yourself? There are quite a few online sites for purchasing and they're not expensive, plus you'd get the one you wanted.

However, I have got to say, 20 years and not doing any service? What is the fun of that?

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to Globe Trudgers