Report from Stockholm

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Report from Stockholm

Postby ann2 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:38 am

Hi all,

Fantastic meeting last night, "Swenglish Rock'N Roll Young People's meeting" starting some time after 9 pm. Many CER (Central European Region) delegates in attendance and we got to introduce ourselves when the chair asked for those from outside the greater Stockholm area to stand up.

Of course it was great seeing the sober people, enjoying this great thing the group they had put together, the fellowship in action. It was also terrific to applaud the 3 members who stood up to accept monthly chips and hear them speak and see the light in their eyes. Most of all, it was wonderful to have my fears about the lack of interest in the steps thrown out the window.

EVERY speaker talked about the change in their sobriety from when they started the steps. They talked about daily meditation. They talked about the experience of progressing through their 5th steps. These were young people. I want to shout that, these were young people!

So stop listening to the old grumps who never find the peace, satisfaction and thrilling results of taking these suggested steps. Do what these wild and wacky internationals based in Stockholm do, because it works. Obviously. There was no mistaking their success.

It was inspiring.

Today, the first day of the business meeting, starting with a new delegate orientation and light snack, stopping at 5 for a Christmas smogasbord, the traditional Swedish julbord, and then finishing up with a meeting. Then tomorrow more business and wrapping it up.

I am representing the international group of Tallinn which calls itself "Kodu", and the group that another AA here in Tallinn and I are planning to start. The CER informational packet for new attendees suggested that we understand what our purpose is in coming. I'm here to get more information on starting an English-speaking meeting and to pass on any information that the Kodu group can use and can share, and to enjoy the fellowship that is here.

Thinking of you all and thanks for letting me pass it on here,

love, Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: Report from Stockholm

Postby jak » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:48 am

Thanks for the report Ann. What you have shared is inspiring.

jimk
jak
Forums Long Timer

Postby Karl R » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:43 pm

thanks Ann---reports like yours helps me get and stay connected a bit with AA as a whole!

cheers
Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi, well, it was fascinating today. We began with an intro to the service structure, explanations of Robert's Rules, voting procedures, other practical stuff. The first part of the meeting was reports from the intergroups and unassociated groups. I spoke and shared about the international group that is operating now (mostly in Finnish) and about the English speaking group which is but a dream at this point. There were reports from the YP rep and the Treasurer which inspired some discussion, and then 5 pm was approaching so they went to the voting for incoming officers. Paldave, a sometime e-AA participant, is now the new chair for CER. Congrats Dave!

After that was the traditional Swedish Christmas dinner where I experienced an amazing amount of socialability. It was so unusual for me to feel comfortable talking and even not talking. I guess I was really reminded that I was with my people. I didn't know these people but for some reason there was little or no awkwardness. Go figure.

Then the meeting with 4 panel speakers who had lots of sober time. The topic was international AA and it was awesome to hear the experience, strength and hope of these winners. There were shares from the floor as well and I shared about some of my experiences, briefly, at the end.

I was going to head back to my hotel at that point but tagged along instead to Karaoke night in the same locale as the meeting I attended last night. Thank goodness I was picked to sing at the end when very few were in attendance. I just had no ability to carry a tune there in front of the microphone, even though walking back to the hotel I managed to stay in key. I just stayed up there and got through it, however, because oh well! I can make a fool of myself sober too. Before me however were many excellent and energetic singers, and it was just a great group thing.

Tomorrow we start at 9 and try to get through some of the agenda items we didn't address today along with all of tomorrow's agenda items as well as a workshop. After that i have to cool my heels till my family shows up around 4, and I take the girls onto the boat while hubby departs for a date with an airplaneto continue his long long business trip.

It was fun to share about online AA and pass on some of the advantages to what we have here. CER delegates approached me individually and asked how online AA can help in specific instances and what the attractions are. I also heard about another way of having an AA meeting online through the software Second Life, a free virtual reality program. Apparently you can do anything there, including having AA meetings -- walk in with your avatar, sit down, get coffee, and if equipped use voice. Pretty interesting sounding!

Okay, well, awesome to be here.

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby mebill » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Sounds really great Ann! :D Enjoy your time there and I look forward to more reports. Thanks for keeping us "posted" :wink:

Bill
mebill
Forums Long Timer

Postby Neicey » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks so much for the reports Ann!! Sounds like you've had a very enjoyable time there.

I can feel your joy and serenity all the way here to the states!

Hugs,
Neicey
Neicey
Forums Enthusiast

Postby AngelaS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:46 am

Ann,

Thanks for the exciting report! Sometimes the idea of CER or other service structures - even conference, seem intimidating. Thanks for giving such a great insider's view of the whole event.

I love it that you got up and sang despite being able to carry a tune. It's kinda like a lot of things in AA that I think I shouldn't or couldn't ever do - when I do it anyway, it's amazing what can happen.

Thanks again and please keep us in the loop - can't wait to hear what comes next!

Love,
Angela
AngelaS
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:27 pm

Hah, well, you can't get me to shut up once I get to the podium. Ahem ...

Sunday's meeting got a change of venue because the stockholm groups had some problem with the code to entering the parish hall. Oops! So once again we were in the locality of the meeting on Friday night and the karoake on Sat night. A bit of a tight squeeze and maybe that got tempers up a little, there were some harumphs over procedure etc. Real AA in other words.

There were some heated discussions and objections to things like discussing whether things should be discussed, heh heh, and one item of business that concerned whether the CER needs to give permission for a web site to have a link to CER's web site (of course not, we have no control over whether anyone links to us for example) -- mostly things that I understood simply because of my involvement with online AA. In fact, I didn't hear anything, including the pontificating of our GSO from York officer, that I hadn't read before here or in other groups. Amazing how we all come to the same truths and sillinesses :-)

I think I accomplished my goal by being there, hearing others was a wonderful motivation for getting our AA here in Tallinn functioning and finding a way to work with the local international group that advertises itself as English, Finnish and other languages. And of course I got lots of contacts and people telling me "you're not alone" and of course the usual railroading into service which I am dealing with in my learned AA way -- thinking first, long and hard :-)

I did enjoy having a voice in the service structure and I think most of all feeling that English-speaking AA here in Tallinn deserves its own representation apart from the local Estonian/Russian groups, via the Central European Region of the AA of Great Britain, which has its offices in York.

Thanks for letting me share and now I'll shut up!

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby mebill » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:41 am

Hi Ann :)

Thanks SO much for all you are doing and also for keeping us updated on what's going on there. I know you are an asset to the workings of AA. Thanks for stepping up!

Bill
mebill
Forums Long Timer

Return to Globe Trudgers