Nice Convention

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Nice Convention

Postby AngelaS » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:16 am

Last weekend I was fortunate to attend the Nice, France convention (International/English speaking) and thought I'd share my experience. The area itself is breathtaking and there were a couple of gorgeous sunny days that made it feel like spring time in November. A dear friend of mine is an avid traveller and her expertise found us a week's apartment rental that was far below any hotel prices and included our own kitchen, living room, dining room and balcony (perfect for breakfasts and brunch). Public transport is readily available, yet once we were at the apartment, we walked everywhere.

The convention was an intimate, lovely, inspiring celebration of recovery. A couple of unique experiences were the drawing of the speakers and the countdown. Upon registering you could enter your name into a hat from which the speakers for the meetings the rest of the weekend were chosen during the opening meeting. The countdown started with the person with the least number of days and went up to the person with the most years. I've only experienced it the other way around and while the spotlight can be uncomfortable, I think I really like this method, it took away the build up of anxiety since I'm in the early stand up section.

The people were also lovely, welcoming and very helpful. We were provided a list of all the local meetings and there was a nice variety of meetings to attend during the weekend and the additional days we were able to visit. One last fun observation was that meetings in the south of France are not only listed as open or closed but are also listed as accepting dogs/no dogs. When in France, feel free to take mans best friend to some AA meetings!
AngelaS
Forums Newcomer

Re: Nice Convention

Postby Karl R » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:48 am

Welcome to our group AngelaS!

thanks for giving us a fascinating look at AA in other parts of the world.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

cheers,
Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:32 am

Wow, Angela, that was super cool and a great report. Thanks!

I'll be attending the business meeting of the Continental European Region (under the UK service umbrella) the first weekend of December, in Stockholm. I can hardly believe it myself. Will send a report!

Ann in Estonia
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby AngelaS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Ann that's great! I wonder if one of our CER reps will be there - (John or Amanda from NL) - you'll be in good company no doubt and I can't wait to hear your report! I also picked up the EURYPAA flyer while in Nice. The All-Europe Young People in AA Conference in Stockholm, July 23-25 2010 with pre-conference party July 22. I'm passing them on to the young and young at heart here locally.

Maybe you and I will get to meet up at an event one day. I've got my eye on the annual Greece convention :).
AngelaS
Forums Newcomer

Return to Globe Trudgers