English meetings in Cuba?

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Re: English meetings in Cuba?

Postby Traveller » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:37 pm

I am heading to Varadero for April 21 - April 30
I see in the past folks have looked for meetings in English.
any reports back?

Is there a phone number for an aa office in Cuba for more information?

Let me know if anyone knows, otherwise I may try that address that was posted a few years ago in this thread!

Traveller.
Traveller
Forums Newcomer

Postby brunotoby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:12 pm

There is now, as of 14th August 2014, an English speaking meeting in Havana every Thursday evening between 7pm and 8pm in the Iglesia Carmen )church with a prominent statue on the roof)on Infanta between Concordia and Neptuno in Centro Havana.
you enter via the church, there will probably be a service in progress, and look for the door on the left hand side of the church and then head down the stairs to the basement where the meeting is held.
the group is known as Friends of Bill W. Group and members of other 12 Step programs are welcome to attend and share.
we look forward to seeing you,
regards
Phil

ps English AA literature is difficult to come by here, so if you have a little room in your case, maybe you could help pass the message
brunotoby
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Google AA and rockinsober for Cuban AA Information

Intergroups in both Varedaro & Havana!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby danderson0220 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Just returned from a trip on October 17, 2015 and have something for those english speakers travelling to Cuba.

English AA Meeting on Thursdays at 7 p.m. at the church Carmen Calle Infanta at the intersection of Calle Infanta (aka 10 de Octubre) and Neptuno and Concordia. The group can really use your support! I was joined by only Phil and Jacob. They are the core of English Havana AA right now.

Huge church. Can't miss it. East side of the street. Enter through the main church entrance on Calle Infanta and proceed to the back of the church to the office area. Then proceed down the stairs to the left and enter the basement. A woman who works for the church may greet you. Simply say you're an alcoholic and you'll be directed to the aforementioned stairs. When initially entering the church there is a mass occurring so just be quiet and respectful upon entering.

If you are planning on visiting Cuba try to manipulate your schedule to be there on a Thursday. The group could use your support!

Please also bring as many Spanish AA books as possible. I bought some in Chicago at the service office for about $5 a piece. They have a very limited supply of books in Cuba and demand is high. Bringing literature will make a huge impact - even a dozen books. I delivered the books to the general service office at there headquarters near calle L and Vapor next to the university of Havana. You can either walk around until you find the office or attend the English speaking meeting and Phil will show you its exact location. It's set in a bit off the street and down a gangway but if you look for the sign you can find it. You'll be doing a world of good. Please don't hesitate to message me any questions. I will post an update if I get further info.
danderson0220
Forums Newcomer

Postby mheffernan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:47 pm

Hello, Danderson...

Since your post is somewhat recent, perhaps you will see this. I am wondering if there was/is any official static about bringing such literature into the country, as I don't have an idea of the government's attitude to AA in Cuba. My wife and I are going in in April on a Road Scholar program, staying at the Internacional.

Two things for certain I want to do in Habana are to get to a meeting, and get there (and hopefully back) in a classic American car. I am trying to locate this church on Google map and will of course take the complete address for the driver. Have you any other hints for us?

Thanks
Mike H.
Los Angeles
mheffernan
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:56 am

I found this on the aa.org site. I hope it helps!
Cuba
GENERAL SERVICE OFFICE
Oficina De Servicios Generales
Calle 27 #156 (I)entre L y M
Vedado
Habana 6569
Cell: (53) 533-98629
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby mheffernan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:36 am

Thank you, Paigeb.

That there is a Central Office in Habana was revealed earlier; however, I am just curious of how AA is regarded by Cuba's gubierno. I'm sure it is not crazy about our reliance on a "higher power (which is not Raul or Fidel)" nor would I expect resistance in carrying our literature into the country. But I do wonder about the official stance.

Mike H.
Los Angeles, CA
mheffernan
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:09 pm

I would call the Intergroup. If anybody knows, they do! :wink:
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Two things for certain I want to do in Habana are to get to a meeting, and get there (and hopefully back) in a classic American car.

Can't help with the meetings or the restrictions on literature, (which I doubt very much they have), it's quite a religious country, and any book with the word God would be welcomed. I just didn't want you to have too many expectations of the old cars. If you take an American car, drive it on bad roads for decades, repair it with parts scrounged from other old cars, at a 'mechanic shop' in a run down neighborhood, it does not drive like a classic should. The words which best describe the ride are from a tune I remember many years ago, “Shake rattle and roll.” Lovely country and nice people anyhow, sure you will enjoy your stay.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Scottstees » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:25 am

Has anyone had any experience in bringing donations of books and literature into Cuba?
I am taking a cruise to Havana and wanted to donate to the cause. I have written to Central Office in Cuba asking what they desperately need and how I can bring it to them.
Scottstees
Forums Newcomer

Previous

Return to Globe Trudgers