Just checking in

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Just checking in

Postby ann2 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:28 pm

I will consciously refrain from whining!! LOL I'm sure I'm the master of it by this time.

Not being able to attend f2f meetings, having in fact little time for my online meetings, I've actually noticed a sense of isolation -- trouble communicating, missing the point, feeling I'm just not a part of things.

I think it's natural for someone in a new country who in fact can't even read the emergency road signs (how's that for making one feel out of touch? some alert message posted and there's just no way to know what urgent announcement is being made) or the ingredients on a box in the store.

I ask for English help at the courtesy desk and there's a long wait until someone shows up who really doesn't speak English at all. Or I feel indebted to a cashier who does know English and says, "Have a nice day!" after I pay -- I never thought I'd ever find those words so beautiful.

I've read the Estonian grammar book I purchased cover to cover and it's fairly apparent that THIS is one heckuva tough nut to crack -- I mentioned my desire to learn Estonian to a binlingual acquaintence and the laughter was humbling. Maybe it's just not in the cards.

But A.A. and the English speaking meeting I wanted to start? Well, I realized that my not being here over the summer will mean I'll miss out on most of the tourists who would want the meeting. Plus of course there's the kids -- who are really my overwhelming focus just now.

So I've re-joined the Loners Internationalists Meeting. That's where I belong just now, and that will be one place to make my presence known to other alcoholics in Tallinn. Getting readjusted to reality, prepared to step up where I can, but recognizing what I just can't at this point.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:33 pm

Yes, when I moved overseas from England, I also had to learn a new language called "American" :)

Language or not, it's tough being somewhere new. "Fellowship" can be like standing out in the rain peering through a window.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby bowlerdawg » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm rooting for you Ann

lean on your HP, and all will be well

" want what you got, don't need what you want "

you always have friends here, and can vent, b!tch, whine moan, or whatever here.

Take care, and be there for your babies
First of all we had to quit playing God, it didn't work
bowlerdawg
Forums Contributor

Postby tasman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:08 pm

tere õhtust - good evening

ma räägin tõesti vähe eesti keelt - I only speak very little Estonian

mis ilm on? - what's the weather like?

nägemist! - bye, see you!

(I was trying to find Best Wishes, but couldn't :?)

Anyway, best wishes :D

Tasman
tasman
Forums Contributor

Postby Blue Moon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:13 am

When I came into AA, they seemed to talk a completely different language.

I see it hasn't changed much ;)
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby jak » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:39 am

(I was trying to find Best Wishes, but couldn't )

I think it is, "Estbay Ishesway" 8)
jak
Forums Long Timer

Return to Globe Trudgers