Baseball, sigh

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Baseball, sigh

Postby ann2 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Well, my yearly depression started right on the dot of the beginning of spring training, as the mlb'ers start up another season without me. Giving up baseball was the hardest thing about leaving the states, and it hasn't gotten any easier. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but "football" (soccer) and ice hockey haven't taken root in my heart. Baseball, there's nothing like it. I'm just glad I finally recognized what I was missing last year and can accept the sadness, anger and resentment as my ode to a wonderful, wonderful game.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby jak » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:18 pm

Have you considered an I-Pod and Brewers pod-casts. You could listen to games at least. Check out their web site for info.

jim k
jak
Forums Long Timer

Postby Norwejn » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:23 pm

I feel ya...the whole culture of baseball- I'd be a wreck if I didnt have my daily dose of Mariners. I'm sure there are numerous ways to plug in though...probably the cheapest would be satellite radio
BTW, they just signed Ken Griffey Jr... 8)
Norwejn
Forums Contributor

Postby bowlerdawg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:14 pm

they have been around for a hundred years, they will be around for you in the future.

Good things are worth waiting for
First of all we had to quit playing God, it didn't work
bowlerdawg
Forums Contributor

Postby ann2 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:24 am

bowlerdawg wrote:they have been around for a hundred years, they will be around for you in the future.

Thanks, that does help.

I've checked out some possible technical assistance, but usually the time difference and the fact that I'm always chasing after two small children during the day make them more expensive than the value I would receive. But satellite radio is something I've always been interested in ... what do I do, check to see if my radio station in Boston, WEEI, broadcasts on satellite?

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby 120808 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:01 am

bowlerdawg wrote:they have been around for a hundred years, they will be around for you in the future.

Speaking of 100 years, Fenway Park is 98!
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Karl R » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:01 am

Ann,

PM'd you some info.

Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:15 am

Ann, can you not get ESPN America over there. This is a European TV channel which broadcasts American sports. I watch all my mlb on there. They have live games every day once the season starts.

I'll PM you the details for subscription.

-Mike
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:47 am

Hi Mike, finally getting back to you because I just learned something new -- met up with neighbor down the street who works at the American embassy and he gets all the baseball he needs through satellite.

You can't imagine my exultation when I went over to drop off my daughter for a play date with his daughter and saw him wearing a red sox T shirt! Born and raised in Boston. A fanatic, like I would be if I had baseball to wake up in the middle of the night for.

I really think my higher power is there for me in this as in other small things. I've started to pray for the joy of service -- lately it's felt a bit like a chore -- and God knows what gives me joy for sure.

At any rate, there's a question as to whether we can do the parabola thing, as we have a rented place, but it was a definite uplift.

Ah, baseball.
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: Baseball, sigh

Postby Johnykeith » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:51 am

I liked to watch the A's play in the late 80's and the Jays in the early 90's not because I was necessarily a fan of those franchises so much as I liked to watch great teams play as long as they were no current threat to the Cardinals. :roll: :roll:
baseball tee shirts
Johnykeith
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:01 am

Hi Johnny, thanks for reviving this thread, very timely! :-)

hugs from Sweden,

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:53 am

Yes indeed. It's almost upon us once again.

Well us Yankee fans are looking at going in with a poor rotation (unless AJ Burnett has got something together). Mitre? Nova?....Spammer on!!

It'd be nice to get a bit of baseball chat going on here as the season goes on.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby jakpar » Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm

I feel for you Ann2, just get a Harley and you'll never look back! :mrgreen:
Jack

"We are of service by accepting responsibility for the authority God has given us and by respecting the authority God has given to others"
Anonymous
jakpar
Forums Contributor

Return to Globe Trudgers