Getting my bearings in Estonia

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Getting my bearings in Estonia

Postby ann2 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi,

I am now a married mom of two living in Estonia. I am American and hubby is Swedish, the 7 year old is going to the international school here in Tallinn and the 2 year old is enjoying two mornings a week in the Swedish Church "open preschool" program, where moms and kids get together and speak Swedish (and, here in this venue, also English and Estonian).

My previous career goal of serving as an alcohol counselor in Sweden has been put on hold, but not before I finished my state education in speaking and writing Swedish. And my access to meetings where I can understand the language has just dropped to null.

I have a friend in Germany who attends an English speaking meeting. She just learned that her group has a service mission of assisting English-speaking meetings starting up in Eastern Europe. As we are on the border to Russia, Estonia definitely qualifies. There are meetings here, in Russian and Estonian, and I have made one attempt to contact the service structure online but received no response.

I am thinking of starting an English speaking meeting with child care provided (the only way I will be able to reliably attend). I have been thinking of how to do publicity - putting English ads in the paper, contacting the hotel concierges. I am sure aa.org has a guideline on this somewhere on their web site, and yet me being without computer still I do not have the time to do the research.

Of course, we still need to get settled, hopefully we will be installed in a place of our own in February, and getting all the pieces together that make it livable. But I like thinking about this as we deal with the cold, the dark and the inevitable illnesses.

Just a shout out and an update, any feedback welcome.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi ann2,

Thinking of you and sending you good vibes from Scotland! Bet you can't wait to get settled down...

Oliver
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby Janalc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Dear Ann,

Here in the Netherlands we have small one page brochures we can put on the magazine table in hospitals, doctors, clinics etc.

I wish you all the best with your group!

Jan alcoholic
Janalc
Forums Enthusiast

Postby bowlerdawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:41 pm

hopefully you will be settled soon
we miss you when your not here
if only one person is helped by your efforts its worth it
they may help countless others in your absence
planting seeds
First of all we had to quit playing God, it didn't work
bowlerdawg
Forums Contributor

Postby Johnny » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:00 am

Thanks for checking in Ann. I'm and adventurous soul and really enjoy reading this stuff. I hope you're having fun along the way! :) Give those kids a great big soft hug from us all! You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

Johnny
~~~If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!~~~

~~~Anger is because I'm not getting my way right now. Fear is because I may not get my way in the future. Resentment is because I didn't get my way in the past~~~
Johnny
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi! Thanks for the support and tips. We have indeed moved to a place to live semi-permanently, and it is quite nice. I received a nice present from hubby, this lovely computer I am writing on now. It is nice to be here again.

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: Getting my bearings in Estonia

Postby Jkwest1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:19 am

Hello, I realize your post is several years old, but I wanted to reach out anyway. Hope you eventually settled in Tallinn and that all is well and you're still there. I am American and have two small children and a wife in Tartu. Due to work I have to split my time between America and Tartu. Anyway, I too want to facilitate starting and English/Estonian/Russian AA meeting in Tartu as meetings are sparse to say the least and the town certainly needs more and more addiction/alcoholism attention. Any advice, contacts, insight or anything else for that matter you can offer would be helpful. You can post on here or email me. Thank you.
Jkwest1
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:44 am

Hi! I met another AA member living in Tallinn through an email meeting (AALoners) and we ended up starting the the group. It's called the Nooners and last I heard was meeting twice a week, Tuesdays and Saturdays. Pretty cool! However, we moved back to Sweden in 2010 so I'm no longer a member.

My suggestion would be to look for another AA member where you are. Try contacting the Nooners meeting (i'll send you the contact info) to see if they know anybody else. Also, there's a service structure, CER (Continental European Region) which operates out of the UK GSO. They are active and always keeping updated on new AA members and groups. I'll send you their link as well.

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jkwest1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:50 am

Thanks Ann, Just an update I am now living back in Tartu and loving it, so good to be reunited with the family...I did contact the Nooners group and make it a set part of my week to go there at least once, either on Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday to attend, it's fantastic. Anyway, thank you so much for all of your help, it really did make a big difference. All the best, Kevin
Jkwest1
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:27 am

Kevin, thank you for my morning welling up of gratitude.

:D :D :D

So cool that you can attend the meeting :!:

Ann
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to Globe Trudgers