Germany and differences...

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Germany and differences...

Postby Feeya » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Feeya and I am an alcoholic and a drug addict!
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with going to meetings in countries that aren't their home countries?
Because from what I have heard America for example has a lot of speaker meetings, wich I haven't come across over here (western Germany).

Would like to hear if any one has any comparison, just out of curiosity!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Re: Germany and differences...

Postby ann2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi Feeya!

America has ALL KINDS of different meetings and to top it off, they vary according to region. I was surprised when I went to a meeting in Michigan and heard one guy speak for the entire hour, but that was common there I learned. My home group near Boston was a speaker meeting but the speakers usually kept it under 20 minutes and many were shorter.

You might see a lot of speaker meetings on TV and in movies and get the idea that they're all like that but that's not the case. Speaker meetings require a lot of planning and organization, which can be part of the fun, but it's also a challenge for many smaller groups.

I live in Sweden now and I've seen both types here, at least, a relaxed form of speaker meeting which was part of the group's charm. My home group was part of the speaker circuit where a delegation from a group would visit to speak and then there would be a return visit. All of this was scheduled by the group bookie. Lots of road trips!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Feeya » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:29 pm

That's actually very interesting...
The Meetings that I have seen so far were held in a more conversational manner, usually during introduction people would reflect their week and out of those reflexions the group would decide on a topic and then who ever raised his hands could speak... usually people kept it short (5 to 10 minutes)...
I am suuuper interested in the different kinds of meetings, as I live in a more rural area and can't get into the bigger cities with the different kinds of meetings (yet).
I am planning on travelling a lot, once I am done with school and I hope I will get the chance to visit different meetings in a lot of different countries...
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby Feeya » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:33 pm

ann2 wrote:
You might see a lot of speaker meetings on TV and in movies and get the idea that they're all like that but that's not the case. Speaker meetings require a lot of planning and organization, which can be part of the fun, but it's also a challenge for many smaller groups.
Ann

Yes, the big speaker meetings are the ones portrayed in 'the media' so I actually thought that most meetings there were kind of like that... 40 People and only one person speaks... but I guess it varies everywhere... I've been told western Germany meetings are a lot different from eastern Germany meetings too...
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Return to Globe Trudgers