Report from a meeting in . . .

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Postby samantha » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:54 pm

Here in Melbourne, Australia, we have a lot of different meeting formats including ID (identification) meetings, Steps meetings, Big Book meetings and topic meetings. The vast majority of meetings go for an hour and a half.

Most meetings are ID meetings. The secretary chooses someone to Chair the meeting who usually starts the meeting by reading the Preamble. The chairperson then calls speakers to share their experience, strength and hope - what it was like, what happened and what it is like now. Speakers are asked to restrict their sharing to matters relating to their alcoholism. Sometimes there is a reminder that it is '10 minutes for sharing, the rest for caring'. At the end of a meeting everyone says the Serenity Prayer (some groups hold hands for the Prayer).

Sam
samantha

Postby LetgoJoe » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:52 am

Samantha wrote:Sometimes there is a reminder that it is '10 minutes for sharing, the rest for caring'.

That is a good way of saying it. I never heard that one before. Thank you for posting it.

Oh, by the way, I like your avatar Samantha, very cute. ~Joe
Honesty gets us sober, tolerance keeps us sober. ~Bill W.
LetgoJoe
Forums Long Timer

Postby samantha » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:55 pm

Ty Joe :D
samantha

Postby ann2 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:58 am

Thanks, Sam, for that report on meetings where you live. I sure miss the diversity of what I had available in Boston -- but then, now I have the diversity of online meetings, with its experience, strength and hope from all over the world!!

love, Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to Globe Trudgers