Higher power ideas from around the world?

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Higher power ideas from around the world?

Postby ann2 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:15 am

There's a great topic going on in For the Newcomer forum http://www.e-aa.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000516;p=1 regarding the religious perspective in AA around the world, and how that might be experienced differently by people from different countries.

For myself I've had to do some adjusting to *my* local f2f group, who have lots of problems with the God thing based on their experience with the Finnish and Swedish churches.

In fact, I think the people here would do a lot better if they thought not of God but of Nature, which is something sort of worshipped around here (it's always referred to as "THE nature").

Are there any other ideas of how to conceive of a higher power that other nations might add to our understanding? I'm thinking right now of the incredibly powerful story "Listening to the Wind" in the 4th edition which is by a Native American woman: "I found the Power greater than myself to be the magic above the heads of the people in the meetings. I chose to call that magic Great Spirit" (p. 467).

That to me is an extremely useful conception of God, and one contributed by someone from a culture other than the folk who started AA.

What other ideas of God are out there, unpopularized now but thriving in local areas or different pockets of AA?

I'd love to hear them :)

With love,

Ann

ann2
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: Higher power ideas from around the world?

Postby Blue Moon » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:15 am

Originally posted by ann2:
What other ideas of God are out there, unpopularized now but thriving in local areas or different pockets of AA?
Inner Spirit. Conscience. These are the concepts I have.

A far cry from the God stuff of my Catholic upbringing.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Veronique » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:07 am

Don't think it matters how we call our higher power, as long as we are conscient that we cannot solve everything ourselves.
That there is somewhere, something that is far more powerfull than we are.
Call it : Nature, Conscience, Buddha, God, Allah, Mother Earth, The Spirit in the sky,...
It really doesn't matter, just as long as it enables us to realise that, at times, we all are only a tiny cog in the universe.

Veronique
Progress not perfection
Veronique
Forums Enthusiast

Postby curtis s » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:58 pm

as they say in my home group, WHO'S LARGE AND IN CHARGE no need to identify it by name.

Curt
"What a long strange trip it's been."
curtis s
Forums Long Timer

Postby david1 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:00 pm

hi I dont think its a case of believes in your group, each person has there own belief me i find the saying god is love, good enough for me that pure love for our friends in aa where we ask for nothing in return that for me when i walk into an aa room is wonderful aa loved me for who i was not for what i was they loved me back to sanity and soberiety, its worked a day at a time up till today god bless david
how good my day is depends on how near or far I am from god and our program david
david1
Forums Newcomer

Postby Russell » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:18 pm

Heard about a couple here in Oz.

"I am sober today, through this fellowship and a God of my understanding, whom I choose to call Penelope"

and

a person who's higher power was a tram (trolley car) because it took him past the pub.

As for me, my God accepts me how I am and how I am not. And my understanding is still evolving.

The journey continues,
Russell alcoholic.
"Abandon yourself to God as you understand God. Admit your faults to Him and to your fellows. Clear away the wreckage of your past. Give freely of what you find and join us." B.B. Chap 11.
Russell
Forums Enthusiast

Postby RVW » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:12 am

I started with,
Group
of
drunks

Recently I heard,
Gift
of
desperation

I call it God so others will know what I am talking about.
Cheers
I drank for more than twenty years, and awakened in AA
RVW
Forums Enthusiast

seeking higher power

Postby suzan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi all,
What a beautiful concept of higher power, Ann, that which exists above the heads of folks at an AA meeting. Similarly, for me, that higher power is found between people, between all living creatures, between you and me. It is manifested in our relationships and our care of this planet.

But this is kind of personal for me, this sense of God , and not at all what is the norm here in Senegal. The predominant religion is Islam and the higher power is ALLAH. Many people here pray several times a day, excusing themselves from their desks, (or their counters, or their begging,) unroll a prayer rug and chant their prayers. It's dedication in the highest order and I can't help but admire their singleness of belief. I see so many people living on the street, hungry, or abused I can't help but marvel that their faith doesn't crumble. I haven't met many drinkers among the Senegalese themselves and I have no doubt that this is connected to their commitment to Allah.

Anyway, I haven't really introduced myself except to Ann. My name is Susan and I am an alcoholic. Today and yesterday, a number of people have asked me where Senegal is and what I'm doing here , so here goes. Senegal is in West Africa, along the Atlantic coast, sandwiched between Mauritania and Guinea. It's often referred to as the Paris of Africa though I don't see much resemblance myself.

I've been here for nearly 2 month out of a year contract. I am an English teacher by trade though here I train teachers of English. I love my job and I love being in Africa.I have been in Africa, one place of another for the past 4 years. It's an interesting lifestyle
rich in challenges and miracles.

However, the social life of the expatriate community -which has been a large part of my life -often involves drinking. I won't say that's the only time to get drunk but it certainly is a big trigger. I think someone said, alcoholism gets worse with age and this has proved true for me.
I woke up the day after the big election party to wondering how the night
ended and feeling wretched.... unable to go to work, unable to get out of bed.....again. An event that seems to be happening all the more frequently. The one memory I have of the night is trying to get a call through to my brother and him refusing to talk to me, (I assume because of my inebriated state. ) I woke to the realization that I really don't like myself, as a drunk. ...that I 'm not likable as a drunk. I woke really hating that I'm wasting my life in blackouts and hungover. I woke to an emotional epiphany that something has got to change.

I am an alcoholic and I want to quit drinking. Many people have urged me to go to an AA
meeting and that seems right to me. But I so far haven't found a meeting here in Dakar. But I am relieved to find your support here. You have already given much comfort as I begin to get to know a few of you who have written. So thank you all for being here and thank you all for caring.
Susan
suzan
Forums Newcomer

Postby Karl R » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:54 pm

Welcome to our group Susan,

I'm Karl-an alcoholic from Oregon.

I too woke up in July from my last drunk feeling wretched and unclear about some phone calls I had made. The people in this group showed me the reality and wonder of true sobriety and pointed the way to the 12 steps when I was clear minded enough to start. Their experience strength and hope have proven very valuable to me.

glad you're here. Hope to hear more from you.

in peace,
Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

your god is too small

Postby steve » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:26 am

WOW! When I first read this title on a little paperback back in 1972, I was more than a little offended. But after reading it was amazed at how offended God must have been at my limited concept and beleifs. Beliefs and concepts continue to grow closer to Higher Powers reality the more I reach out to do His will in my life. Make sense? Any how found the book to be helpful dealing with all the negative concepts I had of basic Christianity...its by JB Phillips if your interested.
steve
Forums Newcomer

book title

Postby steve » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 am

oops! Thought the title of the book would show up under subject. The book I was refering to is your god is too small by JB Phillips. nuf said.
steve
Forums Newcomer

Postby Karl R » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:40 am

Beliefs and concepts continue to grow closer to Higher Powers reality the more I reach out to do His will in my life

Makes a lot of sense to me now. Six months ago--not so much. At that time I was oblivious to a HP. Now-I'm back in touch(at least some of the time when I ask his will, listen, and then act). The action almost always helps beliefs and concepts to grow and evolve in my head.

I now have yet another book to add to my reading list.
thanks Steve,

Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Return to Globe Trudgers