Skype sponsor opportunities with newcomers in Liberia

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Skype sponsor opportunities with newcomers in Liberia

Postby ann2 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:16 am

Hi folks,

Homer gave me permission to pass this along -- please contact me if you would like to volunteer or if you have any other suggestions for this service opportunity.

Ann

Homer M. here, a member of the Steppers Committee<almost 8 years>, and a 'peanut' for the OIAA Assembly.

Please see the email below from Rick <GSO, New York, International Service Desk>who recently observed our Steppers Committee in action.

Rick has subsequently been in contact with Amanda, an AA member who had recently visited Monrovia, Liberia on a humanitarian mission. She took AA literature to to 'carry our message' to local alcoholics. Amanda helped start an AA group in a men's recovery house in Monrovia. She would like to initiate sponsorship service via Skype to the AA members. She is currently sponsoring one of the newcomers herself via Skype. Rick contacted me to see if it was possible that some in the online AA community would participate in this service opportunity.

Amanda would be the contact with the men until a connection was made.They are English speaking.

Also, do any of you participate in any of the Skype or phone meetings and would be willing to seek volunteers from those groups to help these newcomer AA members in Monrovia.

I know there is wide ranging knowledge and experience in our OIAA community with unique experiences in doing 12 step work. I would appreciate and grateful to hear other possibilities and ideas to help these newcomers who are seeking sponsorship guidance in their recovery.

I have made this same request, last week, of the Steppers Committee, and one of our members has located an AA member in Fiji, who has already agreed to serve.

I am committed to helping make the connections and initial contacts with Amanda to insure AA provides sponsorship service to these newcomers in AA, even though they are remote and have limited contact capability. Just pm your infomation to ann2 and she'll get it to me and I will forward your information to Amanda.

In AA gratitude and service,
Homer M.

Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:34 PM
Subject: Long distance sponsorship for members in Liberia

Hi, Homer , I hope you are well. Thanks again for helping me get a glimpse of the activities of the Twelfth Step activities of the OIAA.

I’m writing with an unusual request. About the same time that Peter was getting started with A.A. in Liberia , a woman named Amanda who was sober several years had visited Liberia . She talked with Peter on the phone, but he was in touch with us in New York , so do not seem so interested in talking with her.

Amanda was in Liberia for five weeks, and during her last week, she visited a men's shelter and put on a meeting there. She left some literature and a meeting format, and the meeting has been taking place at the shelter since. Amanda is sponsoring one of the men in the meeting via Skype. She contacted me recently to let me know that others in that meeting in Monrovia are interested in having sponsors. Since there is no long-term sobriety yet, and she is sponsoring someone via Skype, she was wondering if there might be others who would be willing to sponsor these men and share their experience, strength and hope via Skype.

I let her know that I would present this idea to you. Do you think it's something worth trying? Is it something that could be coordinated through the Online Intergroup? If so, could I put her in touch with you, or someone who might be helpful?

If you could let me know, I would be most grateful. Many thanks.

In fellowship,

Rick

"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: Skype sponsor opportunities with newcomers in Liberia

Postby amorollo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Hello,

I will be in Monrovia, Liberia at the end of Januray for business and I was hoping to help in some way with carrying the AA message while there.

I've not been able to find any information anywhere about a 'mens recovery house' in Monrovia and if there is any additional information that Amanda could offer it would be very much appreciated indeed. A name and address (or location) of this facility would easily suffice.

Many thanks.

Andrew
amorollo
Forums Newcomer

Re: Skype sponsor opportunities with newcomers in Liberia

Postby ann2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Andrew! Thank you very much! I have pm'd the contact name and email address.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to Globe Trudgers